What's new
What's new

I’m looking for Brown & Sharpe’s No2 bed where the magnet mount! Mine has a broken chunk off the right side. Any information on where to locate one.

B&S made a lot of different machines and used "No. 2" to denote the size of some of them, like surface grinders, mills and screw machines. So what kind of No. 2 are asking about? I think I have an orphan B&S No. 2 surface grinder table, but "where the magnet mount" does not sound like a surface grinder table unless you mean the T-slot for the chuck.

Larry

I think you mean table? If that's the part you want your going to have to buy another grinder and scrape the table to fit your machine.
LoL! I kinda figured that is the route I’ll be taking, honestly it is just has well that gives you parts to fall back on. Thanks for your response. Dean

I have a B&S #2 grinder with nice mag chuck collecting dust. It's been on the refurbish project backlog for too long so i'd be willing to let it go. Depending on your location, it might be a good option for you. PM me if interested.

If you have one side of the T slot unbroken, you can drill and tap a 3/8 thread there in the T bolt top leg with not hurting the structure of the table.. the amount of hold down needed is way less than most people think.
A darn shame people overtighten a chuck hold down....even on brand new machines from a machine dealer thay are often over tight to the point that the whole table is slightly bowed, so compromise the scraping.

Last edited:
I said the right side but it the left! The end where the end piece stands on, actually I think a forklift back into it or something fell and broke it off. The machine is operational and they installed a piece of Channel but now you can use the spark blocker on the end. Just frustrated. Thank you

I have a B&S #2 grinder with nice mag chuck collecting dust. It's been on the refurbish project backlog for too long so i'd be willing to let it go. Depending on your location, it might be a good option for you. PM me if interested.
Mark! My chuck is fine, the machine is operational but I can use a coolant system because of the broke left end. I’m in northern Minnesota, by Bemidji. But I maybe interested in it. Maybe the whole machine.

I said the right side but it the left! The end where the end piece stands on, actually I think a forklift back into it or something fell and broke it off. The machine is operational and they installed a piece of Channel but now you can use the spark blocker on the end. Just frustrated. Thank you
My No. 2 table is in Fort Wayne, IN. I am not interested in packing and shipping it. If you pick it up here, it is $25. If that is of interest, I will move a bunch of stuff so I can take pictures of it.

Larry

Mark! My chuck is fine, the machine is operational but I can use a coolant system because of the broke left end. I’m in northern Minnesota, by Bemidji. But I maybe interested in it. Maybe the whole machine.
I'd be happy to sell the whole machine, don't really want to part it out. Upstate NY is a ways from Minnesota.

My No. 2 table is in Fort Wayne, IN. I am not interested in packing and shipping it. If you pick it up here, it is $25. If that is of interest, I will move a bunch of stuff so I can take pictures of it.

Larry
Larry I understand ! I hate packing stuff! I’ll try and figure out a way to take off your hands. Maybe Fedx can come pick it up and pack it. Or something! Dean

Larry I understand ! I hate packing stuff! I’ll try and figure out a way to take off your hands. Maybe Fedx can come pick it up and pack it. Or something! Dean
There is a Pakmail store near me. They will pick up, pack and ship things. It will cost a lot more than $25 for their services. You can ask them for a quote if you like.

I am happy to pack and ship light stuff. Right now, I have recent carpal tunnel surgery healing up and cannot lift much with my left hand. It is many years since I lifted the table on my grinder and I cannot say exactly what it weighs. The spare table has sat in my garage for over thirty years without moving. But I am pretty sure that, even after my hand heals, I no longer can manage 80 pounds or so. Two years ago, a PM member agreed to buy a Hardinge lathe bed knowing the shipping would cost more than the bed. I spent hours making a crate and wrapping it in cardboard to make a 90 pound package for UPS. It is still in my garage, very much in the way. I think the guy died.

Larry

There is a Pakmail store near me. They will pick up, pack and ship things. It will cost a lot more than $25 for their services. You can ask them for a quote if you like.

I am happy to pack and ship light stuff. Right now, I have recent carpal tunnel surgery healing up and cannot lift much with my left hand. It is many years since I lifted the table on my grinder and I cannot say exactly what it weighs. The spare table has sat in my garage for over thirty years without moving. But I am pretty sure that, even after my hand heals, I no longer can manage 80 pounds or so. Two years ago, a PM member agreed to buy a Hardinge lathe bed knowing the shipping would cost more than the bed. I spent hours making a crate and wrapping it in cardboard to make a 90 pound package for UPS. It is still in my garage, very much in the way. I think the guy died.

Larry
Larry! I completely understand the frustration of not being able to handle the heavy stuff. A year ago I put a log truck in the ditch and broke 4 vertebrae and 8 ribs. And dam it knocks you down. Larry I’m going to have fedx pick up from your place and pack it up at their store. It’s a little costly but oh he’ll compare to what my wife spends it’s not that bad. How do I pay you! If you send a request to PayPal I’ll send to you. My number is +12182525476 and my name Dean Hooker

Larry! I completely understand the frustration of not being able to handle the heavy stuff. A year ago I put a log truck in the ditch and broke 4 vertebrae and 8 ribs. And dam it knocks you down. Larry I’m going to have fedx pick up from your place and pack it up at their store. It’s a little costly but oh he’ll compare to what my wife spends it’s not that bad. How do I pay you! If you send a request to PayPal I’ll send to you. My number is +12182525476 and my name Dean Hooker
First, I will have to move a bunch of stuff in the garage and make sure my memory of the table and its condition is correct. I have not looked at that part of the garage for many years.

Larry

First, I will have to move a bunch of stuff in the garage and make sure my memory of the table and its condition is correct. I have not looked at that part of the garage for many years.

Larry
I can understand that! LoL! I was digging around in my shop and found stuff I completely forgot about! It felt like Christmas

I can understand that! LoL! I was digging around in my shop and found stuff I completely forgot about! It felt like Christmas
Lord it will be nice to full length bed for the grinder, then I can run coolant and not
Have coolant all over the floor.

Lord it will be nice to full length bed for the grinder, then I can run coolant and not
Have coolant all over the floor.

Larry
Larry take your time! I’m in no rush! If you’re in pain or not feel good! Wait till you are up to it. Oh I’ve been thinking about pakmail I going to look into that. Dean

Larry take your time! I’m in no rush! If you’re in pain or not feel good! Wait till you are up to it. Oh I’ve been thinking about pakmail I going to look into that. Dean
Larry! Are you still interested in selling the bed for the B&S grinder? Haven’t heard from you, thought you may have changed your mind. Dean

Larry
It is only two weeks since the doctor made a 3 inch cut in my left hand, so I have to be careful with it. It does not hurt at all unless I get careless using it, and I cannot do anything that gets it greasy or dirty.

You said, "Larry take your time! I’m in no rush! If you’re in pain or not feel good! Wait till you are up to it." I will certainly take that advice. Right now, I am just waiting for a dry and warm day. Then I can pull stuff out of the garage to get to where I think the grinder table is leaning against the wall hidden by other stuff.

Larry

It is only two weeks since the doctor made a 3 inch cut in my left hand, so I have to be careful with it. It does not hurt at all unless I get careless using it, and I cannot do anything that gets it greasy or dirty.

You said, "Larry take your time! I’m in no rush! If you’re in pain or not feel good! Wait till you are up to it." I will certainly take that advice. Right now, I am just waiting for a dry and warm day. Then I can pull stuff out of the garage to get to where I think the grinder table is leaning against the wall hidden by other stuff.

Larry
Yes I did say that! LoL! Larry if you take a month it’s no rush. I was just wondering if maybe you decided against it. Anyway drop me a line when you’re ready. Dean

Back