What's new
What's new

I am thinking I could sharpen an end mill in a wedm...

snowshooze

Stainless
That would be a fringe plus...
I can't see why not. The geometry is gettable, the accuracy seems inherent...
End teeth is still a problem. I'll have to think on that.
Sure have a bunch of them.
Possibly forget full center cutting.
I do own an air-bearing sharpener, even used it a couple times.
But I figured out I was off in the weeds, and just buy more end mills... for the time.

Last edited:
Hi snowshooze:
I know this is an oldish thread but it's the first time I've seen it, so here goes.
As you know I have a wire EDM
Mine has a rotary axis on it so I can index round work with it and I can cut spirals too.
To set up the rotary takes about 1/2 hour so 60 bucks for my customers.

To program an endmill so I can cut the end gashes to a correct profile so they will actually cut properly is going to take another half hour by the time I program for the gashes, the primary relief and the secondary relief and fiddle the endmill radial orientation so the gashes and the reliefs happen in the proper places.

To actually burn the ends of a 1/2" endmill is going to take another 1/2 hour.

Wire cutting flutes is a whole 'nother problem, but with my 30 grand worth of rotary on my hundred grand worth of EDM using 30 bucks worth of wire I can do it if I must.
Don't even ask how much it will cost.

When I'm finished I have a shitty endmill.
I say so because the wire EDM leaches some of the cobalt out of the carbide so the edge grains are vulnerable to being plucked out of the endmill when you start to cut with it.

So I don't sharpen endmills that way.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Last edited:
I was going to say the same thing. I've tried having custom grooving form tools wire EDM'ed in the past. They were crap. Edge didn't hold up, workpiece finish sucked. I'm sure they were dimensionally accurate though... :D

That would be a fringe plus...
I can't see why not. The geometry is gettable, the accuracy seems inherent...
End teeth is still a problem. I'll have to think on that.
Sure have a bunch of them.
Possibly forget full center cutting.
I do own an air-bearing sharpener, even used it a couple times.
But I figured out I was off in the weeds, and just buy more end mills... for the time.

Snowshooze,

implmex provided the detailed, explicit answer, (as he is so good at).

I'll provide a simple answer: It costs less to buy a new endmill than to just set up a wire machine to attempt what you suggest.

PM

Understood.
I have the air bearing sharpener, but I only used it a couple times.
I can't screw around with all that as the set-up time is worth more than the job.
Thanks.
Mark
Snowshooze,

implmex provided the detailed, explicit answer, (as he is so good at).

I'll provide a simple answer: It costs less to buy a new endmill than to just set up a wire machine to attempt what you suggest.

PM

Sometimes when the tool you know best is a hammer everything looks like a nail. :)
Yes the end and gash (the important parts) will be tricky to do.
Many are reluctant do the the many, many finishing passes needed here for a good cutting tool using EDM.
In general grinders take way, way longer to setup and get to run.
Good EDM work is just so slow in running.
Now we trade off setup dollars and run dollars and maybe a tool life difference.

Hi CarbideBob:
I've found a grinder to be a lot faster overall, and I can produce a much better cutter too.

When I need a weirdo shape for some oddball form turning job I'll use the wire to cut the profile and then kiss the top face of the cutter to knock off those grains I was talking about in my previous thread.
Typically 0.002" off the top face does the trick and doesn't appreciably change the profile.
That makes for a longer lasting cutter in my experience.
But it's still not nearly as good as a ground cutter for finish and longevity.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Back