What's new
What's new

I-Beam install options for chain hoist

The likelihood for a damaging seismic event to occur while I have a load suspended is extremely low. The nearest tectonic plate boundary is far, far away.
“Maryland does not sit on any tectonic plate boundary as California, Washington and Alaska do. The closest tectonic plate boundary is in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean about halfway to England.”

Honestly, I feel like I‘m being trolled with the topic veering to the effects of seismic activity on an I-beam In Maryland. That is some Final Destination stuff right there.

James

Honestly, I feel like I‘m being trolled with the topic veering to the effects of seismic activity on an I-beam In Maryland. That is some Final Destination stuff right there.

James
If you would have put Bel-Air, MD, The question of earthquakes would have never been mentioned.
Why are yaw afraid of putting your FULL location under your names????

The likelihood for a damaging seismic event to occur while I have a load suspended is extremely low. The nearest tectonic plate boundary is far, far away.
“Maryland does not sit on any tectonic plate boundary as California, Washington and Alaska do. The closest tectonic plate boundary is in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean about halfway to England.”

James
May I reiterate?? Only a less-than-serious person would ask about this on the internet. Don't be surprised at the answers you get. Might as well ask how to perform a DIY appendectomy.

By asking the question, I got a few answers that are fairly critical. First, I didn't hear a resounding, "No! You'll kill yourself when everything will inevitably fail." So I am going to proceed. I'm also going to block all the relevant joists near the I-beam, which I only considered in passing before asking this question. While some of us are smart, none of us know everything about everything which is the point of having a forum like this to draw on the communities' expertise. And I work with people who could walk you though a self appendectomy if they and you really needed to do that and if you had all the basic supplies. Again, community expertise >> each person's expertise.

Well, sounds like you have your mind made up on how your are going to do this. Wish you the best of luck..
Let us know where to send our condolences to afterwards. Be safe! What ever you do.

If you would have put Bel-Air, MD, The question of earthquakes would have never been mentioned.
Your city is only listed as Victoria. Is that TX, MN, HK, BC, or where? This listing of city without further information appears to be a function of the forum software, not the members. I know my state used to be listed, and is not showing any more.

Your city is only listed as Victoria. Is that TX, MN, HK, BC, or where? This listing of city without further information appears to be a function of the forum software, not the members. I know my state used to be listed, and is not showing any more.
Interested. It used to show "TX" after the city. Hum.

Your best option is to put the I beam in place. Store two posts out of the way. Then when you want to lift something heavy, put the posts in for your lift.
Yup, this. Use the overhead structure to "store" your beam so you don't have to lift it into place each time. Put a flag on the hook with instructions about where the uprights are stored and how to install them.

I bet the Op did not know there is a Bel Air fault near the Thurmond dam in Georgia. I certainly did not until I looked up Bel Air fault lines
The fresh prince of Bel Air had a episode with folks trapped in the basement during a quake.
BilLD

Basic seismic safety bracing will help keep any structure tied together and carry the load without falling down regardless of the cause of the loading. Be it seismic, tornado, avalance or heavy weights swinging and oscillating to build harmonics. Similar to folks who complain they would never anchor a lathe and wonder why it fell over when a work piece bent and whipped around.
MY BIL'S father from Michigan who worked as a plumber, had never seen flex supply lines for water heaters. He took some home with him from California. Said it looked much easier then cut and fit rigid pipe for his cabin upgrade. He did not care about seismic safety just the ease of use.
I think the midwest now uses simpson clips to attach rafters not just toenails.
Bill D

If I lived in Bel Air, CA, I wouldn’t be asking this question. I would have enough cash to pay some engineering firm to do it ‘right’ and I probably wouldn’t be living in a 120 yr old home. Still, I get what you’re saying.

If I lived in Bel Air, CA, I wouldn’t be asking this question. I would have enough cash to pay some engineering firm to do it ‘right’ and I probably wouldn’t be living in a 120 yr old home. Still, I get what you’re saying.
If you lived in Bel Air, you might not have any money left over after paying your property taxes! Who knows, it could be the family home.

The average home price in Bel Air is $3,844,000.

I tossed a beam across the tops of my ceiling joists in my garage at my first house. Lifted numerous 4cyl motors out, but I wouldn't dare do anything more.
I would doubt 1500lbs would be possible.

I tossed a beam across the tops of my ceiling joists in my garage at my first house. Lifted numerous 4cyl motors out, but I wouldn't dare do anything more.
I would doubt 1500lbs would be possible.
I swapped quite a few big blocks with transmissions using a come along hanging from a tree limb in the 70's and 80's. Not sure I would count on it these days but, ignorance is bliss!

Asking will such and such a beam hold what or whatever
on the internet is just asking for a whooping.
Best to keep quiet and ask someone who has experience
with the strength of things help you move your thing on
the day you are doing it. Add some weight and measure
the beam sag will give you some idea what will work and
what will not. Common sense as it were. Cracking
noises mean mission abort.

-Doozer

Back