What's new
What's new

I feel like Rip van Wincle, steel prices...

Phil in Montana

Stainless
Not bought steel in 2 years, Retired and didnt need any...now i need a 1 inch thick by 16 inch round cut from a36 plate nothing speical just mild...quote $243.00, is this right is it pay back time at the steel yard?...Phil

One place saves the centers, and sells them at a discount.
You doo need to grind out and weld up the lead in.

Seems a bit steep, but then it could be they're making you buy a bigger drop to cut it out of, had the same thing happen to me recently. They're getting a little harder to work with lately with supply and labor shortages.

doesn't sound crazy. some joints would charge for the whole sheet and cutting.

(would you do it for that, even if you had a drop to cut it out of? charging for 16 X 16 sq material is totally reasonable.)

You need to add in a racking charge .....$60 to get the plate out/ $60 to put it back....with CNC cutting there is no "offcuts" ,the plate usually ends up a lacework .........local steel place was showing me how they cut multiple pieces out of the 'disc' before they cut flanges.

square foot, so 2 foot square. 160# of material. Less than 2 fun coupons a pound for one off, cut to size material. This includes forklift, crane time, palleting, and loading.
This is a shop rate in the 60 hr range, not the 100 hr range machine shops charge.

Back