What's new
What's new

I guess its time for me to start my own Home shop thread.

More the question is - how long would it take you to charge them up?

That post above about 70% of total charge comes in 3 summer months was an :eek: for me!
I wouldn't'a guessed it being THAT drastic!

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
well, with a 50KW solar array, on cloudy days they produce ~20% of their capacity so that would be 10kw. so if i drained the bank completely with no energy coming in otherwise, it'd take 80 hours of cloudy daylight to recharge the bank.

Reactions: Ox
Just wonderin'...

I'm guessing that your "charger" is the same as any transformer - and it consumes "X" amount of juice at all times?

Then you likely have another one going from whatever V that your batts are at, to what you need.
Any DC rectifiers in there as well?

So, if any of this guess is true, what is the threshold of actual gain?
5% maybe?
5% of capacity before you actually start storing?
And maybe another 5% loss on the way back out aggin?

Maybe it is more efficient than that?

I'm guessing that you would need a much larger output transformer than you would need for incoming, as you would need to be able to supply INRUSH for hard starts?

So maybe the numbers actually would look like 2-3% incoming and 7% outgoing?

Just wondering is all.
Not that the loss costs anything - other than just more panels eh?

----------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

Just wonderin'...

I'm guessing that your "charger" is the same as any transformer - and it consumes "X" amount of juice at all times?

Then you likely have another one going from whatever V that your batts are at, to what you need.

So, if any of this guess is true, what is the threshold of actual gain?
5% maybe?
5% of capacity before you actually start storing?
And maybe another 5% loss on the way back out aggin?

Maybe it is more efficient than that?

I'm guessing that you would need a much larger output transformer than you would need for incoming, as you would need to be able to supply INRUSH for hard starts?

Just wondering is all.

----------------------

i'm not sure tbh, i THINK a 50 KW inverter should be able to hand everything i throw at it and then some, but like i said, thats why i'm starting small and part time, to see how this will shape up and upgrade as i go.

Just wonderin'...

Nowadays the solar chargers are all solid state, but yes. Typically 1 Watt draw for a 100amp charger in standby mode. (No charging current flowing.)
The inverter. No rectifiers or transformers there, it's going from DC to AC. It boosts the battery voltage with a DC-DC converter and constructs AC from that. Typical efficiencies of around 90%. There is an idle current though, how much depends on how big the inverter is. In resting or search mode (on, waiting for a load) 10 watts or so for a 3-4kW inverter.
No transformer needed, but yeah, supplying inrush is huge factor in sizing inverters.

Just wondering is all.
Changes with current flow. Efficiency being higher with high current, but a pretty reasonable off the cuff estimate, maybe higher.

Add battery bank losses.10-20% for a new lead acid bank, 5% for lithium ion.

Reactions: Ox
So - 1/2 aggin more loss than I was expecting....

--------------------------

Last edited:
Early on in this thread, you mentioned that you wanted to save money on the other side of the tax line.

Maybe look into starting an ESOP.
I just read that ESOP's don't pay any income tax.

That's all I know....

-------------------

Early on in this thread, you mentioned that you wanted to save money on the other side of the tax line.

Maybe look into starting an ESOP.
I just read that ESOP's don't pay any income tax.

That's all I know....

-------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post
whats an ESOP?

-------------------

well, finally pulled the trigger. 50KW inverter, 65KW worth of solar panels, with mounting hardware, wiring, connectors etc and a 20ft shipping container from china. will use the container to keep the batteries/inverter/panel in instead of building a small building for that. couldnt build one for how cheap the container is. will insulate the container and install a small split unit heater/ac to keep the temps stable for the batteries etc, then just dig a trench and run conduit to the barn. about 2 months for all the stuff to come in, give me time to finish up some side projects i'm doing at work and get ready to start doing work on the barn!

my inverter, panels and all the hardware are ready to get loaded in the container and ship out!
1716554254699.png

1716554265080.png

1716554273970.png

1716554281306.png
1716554288784.png

i bought this container as well, this is where the packs, inverter etc will be housed, also gives me the option of easily moving the packs etc when i decide to move to a different state and go completely off grid
1716554346657.png

looks to be in great condition inside
1716554361640.png

roughly what my ground mount setup will look like
1716554378012.png

hoping everything comes in around end of july
getting excited!

I am interested in how it is that you landed where you did.

Did you find a job online and moved to it?

I was under the impression early on that you moved your shop here, but apparently that's not the case.

------------------

I am interested in how it is that you landed where you did.

Did you find a job online and moved to it?

I was under the impression early on that you moved your shop here, but apparently that's not the case.

------------------

i was working at a job shop in socal, was relatively happy where i was, when one of my buddies in the industry hit me up and said i should go talk to this company an hour away from where i was, where his friend worked. said it could be a good opportunity. at first i shrugged him off, but he kept bugging me, so i gave in and drove down there to talk to the guy. he was a manager of the socal office of the company where i currently work, it sounded interesting, even though i wasnt a huge fan of EV stuff. after talking to him, i told him that i've been looking to get out of cali for awhile, and if i were to switch jobs, i'd rather move somewhere out of state. he asked me what it'd take to get me to work for him, i gave him a number i thought he'd laugh me off at, but he verbally approved it on the spot, just said he had to run it up the chain formally, in a few days i got an official offer...

i worked at the socal office for about a year, and the main HR lady has been trying to get me to move to the Novi HQ ever since i started. i kept telling her no, because at that time i was in a long distance relationship with a chick from ukraine, and i was gonna bring her over. since all my family is in cali, i figured it would have been much easier for her since she could hang out with my sisters and have some friends etc. long story short, ~1.5 years ago, she ended up the relationship a day before she was supposed to hop on the flight to the states, then the day after, our main HR lady flew in to our office, and again asked me if i'd move. my mouth started saying 'hell no', but halfway through i was like, hold up, why not? so i pulled the trigger on the spot. she offered me to fly out and work out of the novi office for 1-2 weeks then back in cali for about a month or 2, to get a feel for the area and people. i loved it right away and moved in november 2022. they paid for the move and then some, and since then i got a bunch of expensive equipment that i procured, and i'm THE man when it comes to anything needing to be built, prototype or short production runs, for our own products.

i love my job here, and dont plan on leaving any time soon, but at the same time i want to slowly get my own thing off the ground, while having the consistent income from my job (also have company shares, which would be AWESOME if we end up making it big).

last few months, i've been doing a TON of side work on the work machines, which my manager and the VP are cool with. this side work is basically paying for me to build my own business, i got super fortunate that my networking paid off and i got some really $$$ parts to make on the big machine, just because they couldnt find anyone else to do them.

if all goes well, by the end of the year or maybe beginning of next, i might be able to swing a 5 axis pallet machine, most likely with my coworker as a partner. we'll see...

It all sounded good up until this ↑↑↑↑
yeah yeah, i know... its not a done deal yet, and i'm not 100% sure i'll do it, but we have been talking about all kinds of scenarios etc. if we do something together, it'll be a joint corp that each of our own individual businesses would be part owners in, with clearly defined guidelines, exit scenarios etc.

That part about each starting your own .... Stop right there, and for-go that umbrella part.
BOTH of you!

--------------------

i was working at a job shop in socal, was relatively happy where i was, when one of my buddies in the industry hit me up and said i should go talk to this company an hour away from where i was, where his friend worked. said it could be a good opportunity. at first i shrugged him off, but he kept bugging me, so i gave in and drove down there to talk to the guy. he was a manager of the socal office of the company where i currently work, it sounded interesting, even though i wasnt a huge fan of EV stuff. after talking to him, i told him that i've been looking to get out of cali for awhile, and if i were to switch jobs, i'd rather move somewhere out of state. he asked me what it'd take to get me to work for him, i gave him a number i thought he'd laugh me off at, but he verbally approved it on the spot, just said he had to run it up the chain formally, in a few days i got an official offer...

i worked at the socal office for about a year, and the main HR lady has been trying to get me to move to the Novi HQ ever since i started. i kept telling her no, because at that time i was in a long distance relationship with a chick from ukraine, and i was gonna bring her over. since all my family is in cali, i figured it would have been much easier for her since she could hang out with my sisters and have some friends etc. long story short, ~1.5 years ago, she ended up the relationship a day before she was supposed to hop on the flight to the states, then the day after, our main HR lady flew in to our office, and again asked me if i'd move. my mouth started saying 'hell no', but halfway through i was like, hold up, why not? so i pulled the trigger on the spot. she offered me to fly out and work out of the novi office for 1-2 weeks then back in cali for about a month or 2, to get a feel for the area and people. i loved it right away and moved in november 2022. they paid for the move and then some, and since then i got a bunch of expensive equipment that i procured, and i'm THE man when it comes to anything needing to be built, prototype or short production runs, for our own products.

i love my job here, and dont plan on leaving any time soon, but at the same time i want to slowly get my own thing off the ground, while having the consistent income from my job (also have company shares, which would be AWESOME if we end up making it big).

last few months, i've been doing a TON of side work on the work machines, which my manager and the VP are cool with. this side work is basically paying for me to build my own business, i got super fortunate that my networking paid off and i got some really $$$ parts to make on the big machine, just because they couldnt find anyone else to do them.

if all goes well, by the end of the year or maybe beginning of next, i might be able to swing a 5 axis pallet machine, most likely with my coworker as a partner. we'll see...
>>>>>Just do it on your own.<<<<<
Once again another application of the "80/20 Rule"
'80% of consequences come from 20% of the causes, which offers the notion that there is an imbalance in the relationship between inputs and outputs. Example: In the case of partnerships, 80% or more of revenue is often driven by 20% of partners. '

>>>>>Just do it on your own.<<<<<
Once again another application of the "80/20 Rule"
'80% of consequences come from 20% of the causes, which offers the notion that there is an imbalance in the relationship between inputs and outputs. Example: In the case of partnerships, 80% or more of revenue is often driven by 20% of partners. '
if there's a way for me to make it happen on my own, absolutely...

Back