What's new
What's new

I have a question about facemills

Ruha

Plastic
Hello!

The current machine is okk vm5 and is using bt40. I would like to buy face mill, but there are two types of 50mm, 3 blades, 4 blades, and usually, the processing of ss400 45c is mostly done. What would you recommend? I've used a lot of 3blade cutters for small size, but is 3blade too weak for 50 pi?😭

I am not good at English because I am Japanese, but I have a question🙏

Attachments

• 1657901902173.jpg
    1657901902173.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 21
I would go with more inserts vs less as long as the machine can handle it, which I would think yours can. Do you need the square corner? If not I much prefer Mitsubishi ASX445 face mills, or that style, as they are much free-er cutting.

if you go with a 4 blade, and your machine cant handle 4, then you can take two inserts out. Then you can run it like a 2 blade cutter and still be balanced.

4 blade lets you go 33% faster than 3 blade with the same feed per tooth. But it needs 33% more power.

I would go with 4 blade

I would go with more inserts vs less as long as the machine can handle it, which I would think yours can. Do you need the square corner? If not I much prefer Mitsubishi ASX445 face mills, or that style, as they are much free-er cutting.

I'm using wsx445. Until now, I was using the APx3000, but I thought about buying it because it was a cutter that uses insert that can use 6 corners economically

if you go with a 4 blade, and your machine cant handle 4, then you can take two inserts out. Then you can run it like a 2 blade cutter and still be balanced.

4 blade lets you go 33% faster than 3 blade with the same feed per tooth. But it needs 33% more power.

I would go with 4 blade

Are even numbers better than odd numbers on both sides of 45 degrees and 90 degrees?

I'm using wsx445. Until now, I was using the APx3000, but I thought about buying it because it was a cutter that uses insert that can use 6 corners economically
Have you ever used a facemill like the ASX? If not you need to try one. That style of cutter/insert cuts very smooth.

I run alot of SS400 and S45C on BT40 machines as well. Your OKK machine should be able to handle just fine with D50 or D80 face mill with 10 teeth at 1-3mm depth of cut. If you don't need square shoulders, I recommend WSX445 cutter from Mitsubishi or DOPENT cutter from Tungaloy. If you need square shoulders, i highly recommend Mitsubishi VPX300, very strong and rigid cutter.

I run alot of SS400 and S45C on BT40 machines as well. Your OKK machine should be able to handle just fine with D50 or D80 face mill with 10 teeth at 1-3mm depth of cut. If you don't need square shoulders, I recommend WSX445 cutter from Mitsubishi or DOPENT cutter from Tungaloy. If you need square shoulders, i highly recommend Mitsubishi VPX300, very strong and rigid cutter.
I would like to buy facemill 63 pies out of the two, is there anything you would like to recommend among Tangaroy Mitsubishi?

What are the advantages of the face mill that you are introducing? There are so many kinds of chips now that it is difficult to decide

It's the best face mill I've ever used. It's quiet, each insert has 14 cutting edges, and it can really take a cut.

Dopent / vpx
Tungaloy Dopent facemill is great especially when you have thin work pieces. The 70 degree lead angle on the cutter is a perfect balance between force pushing down and force lifting up the work piece so the vibration is reduced on the work piece. The Mitsubishi VPX is a great shoulder mill with tangential insert design with good chipbreaker design for steel. Most tangential milling inserts are only recommended for cast iron but VPX inserts are designed for steel as well (chips curl very tightly). So for my recommendation for buying facemill in Japanese market ( I assume), go for Tungaloy Dopent facemill if you only need to face cut, or go for Mitsubishi VPX if you need to face mill AND 90 degree shoulder cut.

Tungaloy Dopent facemill is great especially when you have thin work pieces. The 70 degree lead angle on the cutter is a perfect balance between force pushing down and force lifting up the work piece so the vibration is reduced on the work piece. The Mitsubishi VPX is a great shoulder mill with tangential insert design with good chipbreaker design for steel. Most tangential milling inserts are only recommended for cast iron but VPX inserts are designed for steel as well (chips curl very tightly). So for my recommendation for buying facemill in Japanese market ( I assume), go for Tungaloy Dopent facemill if you only need to face cut, or go for Mitsubishi VPX if you need to face mill AND 90 degree shoulder cut.
Thank you.
I bought 6 inserts of dopant63 pi today.
And the maker recommends tung-tri rather than vpx.
The reason is that vpx is specialized in tanning, so it can't handle various processing But I think I want to use the shoulder mill in the vpx direction

Back