What's new
What's new

I need advice to rebuild part of this air compressor please

The electrics do work like that,but the compressor also has an air unloader circuit so the compressor can start against back pressure.....................there is also a 'old wives tale' I'v heard repeated many times that if a compressor stops under full pressure ,the crank will break.......heard this repeated a thousand times over the years ,so who knows???

No, I want to leave the unloader line where it's at now. The only thing I would do is add the pressure switch to the end of the tank that is now the supply as the pressure switch is on a manifold that also has a supply.

I am missing something here? The pressure in the tank would shut the switch off which would be wired to the motor. Then turn back on when the pressure is low. I'm not changing any unloader stuff. I think some of the advice is overly complicated there has to be an easy way to do this.
I explained in a previous post how the unloader system works, it was designed to let motor run continuously, it will not work in current configuration with a pressure switch. With a pressure switch you will need a way to activate the unloader valves at the moment the motor tries to restart because most likely the motor will not spin up with the load applied and it will either trip breaker or smoke motor. Unloader valves do exactly what they are called, they remove the compressor load allowing the motor to start and spin up to speed, then they release allowing compressor to build pressure again. Hook up the pressure switch, give it a try, maybe you will get lucky and it works like that, but I suspect it won't. Note, your motor has a centrifugal switch, it needs to spin up past xxxrpm to get off the start winding.

I explained in a previous post how the unloader system works, it was designed to let motor run continuously, it will not work in current configuration with a pressure switch. With a pressure switch you will need a way to activate the unloader valves at the moment the motor tries to restart because most likely the motor will not spin up with the load applied and it will either trip breaker or smoke motor. Unloader valves do exactly what they are called, they remove the compressor load allowing the motor to start and spin up to speed, then they release allowing compressor to build pressure again. Hook up the pressure switch, give it a try, maybe you will get lucky and it works like that, but I suspect it won't. Note, your motor has a centrifugal switch, it needs to spin up past xxxrpm to get off the start winding.
Thanks. We'll see. I'm seriously considering leaving it as is and instead repairing the speedaire.

Back