What's new
What's new

I need help changing the direction the probe measures using the 4th axis probong cycle (O9817)

Sul

Plastic
I'm trying to clock a rotory on a horizontal mill that is facing the spindle so the two axis are aligned with each other. I've got a bunch of internal hexes I need to broach the corners on. The problem I have is that the probing cycle takes its measurement in Z, and I need it to take it in Y. Bear in mind that what I know about macros could fit in a Barbie dolls navel and have room to rattle around. Thanks for your help

If I understand correctly, your rotary is a 5th, "C" axis? rotary axis is parallel to spindle axis?
If that's the case, use O9843 to find XY angle and apply that offset to C

It is plugged into the 5th axis ports, but its not mounted to the 4th axis platter so it's still operating a 3+1.

I'm probably going to have to use O9843 as you suggested but really wanted to take it out of the operators hands and automate it entirely. I'm pretty sure what I need to edit is in O9726 (Ren Basic Measure -2T), which is a macro that O9817 calls up. Theres a G31 line labeled (measure) that sends the probe down in Z to take a measurement. On that line it gives me X Y and Z variables, but I dont know where to change those or which one. Thanks for replying.

No, you don't edit 9726. All the other programs use that for measuring moves.

If anything you might edit 9817 to move in Y instead of Z as you want, but if as you say you don't know much about macros, you'll probably do more harm than good.

Just use 9843 to find the angle. Angle error is stored in #194

If I edit anything I'll do it to a copy of the program. It seems I could just replace the Y and Z variables on that G31 line to direct numbers. That'll get it moving like I want but then there's still more variables that will have to be edited to do what I want it to, which is to update G59 B automatically.

Its seems the path of least resistance is to use O9843 like you're suggesting. I should be able to write a short line of code after running that subroutine to add what it's putting into #194 to the work offset. Something like #5614 = [#194 +#5614] or whatever the specific variable for G59 B is. Does that sound like it would work?

Last edited:
I basically have the same problem.. zeroing the c axis (linear to the spindle) between two teeth on a cilindrical gear. If you do anything you should atleast do NC and PLC back up. If you have any progress or you found what to edit in 9817 please reply.
Regards

What about using an appropriate size gage pin in the spindle to clock the part properly before clamping it down.

This is the way we are positioning now. Bit it takes alot of time and its still not as accurate as a probe measurement.
Do you have idea what to change in these cycles..? I can send you the cycle.

Back