What's new
What's new

i need some help

mleclair5290

Plastic
we recently got an okuma multus at our shop and this job we are setting up on it requires the sub spindle jaws to be milled to a certain contour, i can mill the contour just fine but when i load the part it runs out about .005. i was thinking about it and could i just bore a tiny whole on center via the lathe side of the machine , and then pick up the bore in x and y and then re mill the contour? any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, ive ran lathes for 7 years now and this is my first mill turn so im a little lost.

I'm not quite sure I understand your issue. Do You mean that the part in the SUB-spindle ends up .005 offcenter compared to the mainspindle?

we recently got an okuma multus at our shop and this job we are setting up on it requires the sub spindle jaws to be milled to a certain contour, i can mill the contour just fine but when i load the part it runs out about .005. i was thinking about it and could i just bore a tiny whole on center via the lathe side of the machine , and then pick up the bore in x and y and then re mill the contour? any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, ive ran lathes for 7 years now and this is my first mill turn so im a little lost.

If you needed it dead on, I would turn or bore a diameter in your sub jaws and then sweep that bore with a coax indicator in the milling head to get it centered up.

Might reach out to Okuma Apps

I dont have a Multus Yet.. Genos 4x lathe, 4x Mill and 5x mill. I have seen some people use individual work offsets for all things.. others rely on the Machine commissioning setup zeros. Edge Precision has some interesting videos on YT.

Gosiger West has some great videos on YT Charlie has been a great resource on my Okuma journey. There is a good FB Group OKuma CNC Users

Assuming it's a 3 jaw chuck here. Sometimes you can mill an odd profile dead on but the part will run out because the jaws deflect assymetrically when clamping. If the runout repeats then mill the jaws "off" to compensate, or use a collet chuck. Clamping odd stuff in a three jaw for a long time can make it wear funny and then it won't chuck rounds true anymore.

Back