What's new

I X L Capital Lathe

• Thread starter <I X L owner>
  • Start date
  • Replies 18
  • Views 5,728
I

<I X L owner>

I have Just Purchased 2 I X L Lathes which are 8" centre Height and 4' centres. They also have a removable Gap and two speed Backgearing and 3 step cone. Tony Griffiths Says that early I X L lathes were made in Germany and rebadged in england . The feedgear cover reads Capital I X L made in britain, the quality of all parts is very good and the bedways are perfect. I believe these lathes were made in the late 20s to early thirties They both have seperate feed shafts driven by a3 speed reduction box from the leadscrew shaft aboveit and beneath the headstock the two gears in the headsstock give a total of 12 speeds -6 0pen and 6geared. has anyone else a similar lathe or info?

Thanks for your reply-I have contacted the buyer to see if we can share info. his lathe is much smaller than mine and lacks the power surfacing and feed shaft that mine has-I would compare mine with a 16" southbend for size and weight

Hello

There are allmost every week lathes for sale overhere in Holland with the same looks of an IXL. Every time when an other one appears , I check the IXL pages on Tony's site, but there are allways some small details that don't match. I have never been able to find out whitch company made these lathes. :mad: Last week there was again(!) a similar lathe for sale, however, this time with a batch of the maker
. As you can see on the photos, this one is made by a german company called "S&S".

b.t.w. Are there pictures of your lathes somewhere in ciberspace...

regards

Gerrit

45629319.jpg

45629323.jpg

45629326.jpg

Gerrit, Here are two photos of one of the lathes. The other has a cabinet under the headstock similar to the one in your photo's. Thanks for your help :D

17041457full3si.jpg

17041467full8oi.jpg

I have one, except the feet on the headstock end are MUCH heavier duty than those ones.

I picked it up for $400 New Zealand Dollars, came with a 3 and a 4 jaw chuck and a HUGE faceplate.

It didn't come with much tooling however, and it has no spare changewheels, so I'd imagine I won't be able to cut many different threads on it, although I'm not really at that level of machining yet in any case.

I have one, except the feet on the headstock end are MUCH heavier duty than those ones.

I picked it up for $400 New Zealand Dollars, came with a 3 and a 4 jaw chuck and a HUGE faceplate.

It didn't come with much tooling however, and it has no spare changewheels, so I'd imagine I won't be able to cut many different threads on it, although I'm not really at that level of machining yet in any case.
Hi There,
Im looking at one of these lathes here in NZ as well, doesnt have the half nut to engage the lead screw though, someone has removed and lost it at some point in its life. You dont happen to have any pictures of your one do you, or any of the bed side of the apron? I would like to replicate it and repair it one day.
Cheers, and sorry for dragging up an ancient thread!

Quite likley the leadscrew has been used as a feed ,which has worn the half nut away ...........Ive seen lots of these IXL lathes ,always with extreme wear .....The city council here sold one with 1/8" play in the spindle .......who knows what it was being used for.

Possibly, this one does have a separate fine feed shaft though. I have seen a few german lathes with the same setup, once they get a bit loose the half nut can fall in to place under its own weight while the saddle is traversing (by hand or with feed shaft) and cause a crash. They end up with very loose aprons after thats been done a number of times, stretches the screws holding it to the saddle. I do suspect that the half nut was removed because of this as its not just the nut, its the handle and dovetail assembly and everything else thats been removed as well

I have saved photos of a few (seven I think) IXL lathes that were advertised in NZ.

One thing they have in common - rough condition.

IXL Capital:

IXL Capital lathe 01.jpg IXL Capital lathe 06.jpg IXL Capital lathe 09.jpg

IXL, not exactly like the Capital:

Note (Ford truck?) transmission. No shifter that I can see but the clutch linkage seems to be connected:

IXL Capital lathe, probably 01.jpg IXL Capital lathe, probably 03.jpg IXL Capital lathe, probably 09.jpg IXL Capital lathe, probably 10.jpg IXL Capital lathe, probably 12.jpg

Last edited:
IXL Leader:

Note "BEC" on the brass plate. "BEC" is found on Elliot and associated brands.

IXL Leader 01.jpg IXL Leader lathe 04.jpg IXL Leader lathe 05.jpg IXL Leader lathe 06.jpg IXL Leader lathe 10.jpg

A couple more un named but which look like Leader's. I see one is missing its lead screw and half nut lever:

IXL Leader looks like 01.jpg IXL Leader looks like 02.jpg IXL Leader looks like 04.jpg

Last edited:
Hi There,
Im looking at one of these lathes here in NZ as well, doesnt have the half nut to engage the lead screw though, someone has removed and lost it at some point in its life. You dont happen to have any pictures of your one do you, or any of the bed side of the apron? I would like to replicate it and repair it one day.
Cheers, and sorry for dragging up an ancient thread!
There is an IXL Leader listed on Trade Me at present, it is dismantled. Christchurch.
Let me know if you need the link.

There is an IXL Leader listed on Trade Me at present, it is dismantled. Christchurch.
Let me know if you need the link.
Thank you, I have seen that. I missed out on the Capital in the end. Now on to trying to get an old round head late 40s/ early 50s colchester master off a guy in Dunedin. Ex Otago Daily Times apparently, hopefully will be good....

Hi all, by chance i came across this thread when searching for info. i actually bought the dismantled one you mention above. its complete and in good (restorable) order but its missing the tumble reverse (and most of the change gears) does anyone have any info, measurements or drawings for these components so that i may set about replicating it?

Hi all, by chance i came across this thread when searching for info. i actually bought the dismantled one you mention above. its complete and in good (restorable) order but its missing the tumble reverse (and most of the change gears) does anyone have any info, measurements or drawings for these components so that i may set about replicating it?
Hi Cataclysm. I have an IXL Leader for sale on TradeMe right now. Proceeds from the sale will go to a heritage railway.

Hi mate, I found this thread a little confusing, but it's info on these parts for a Capital you need? I bought one a few months back and I'm just getting it set up and operational after an enormous disassembly and cleaning job. Mine has no change gears unfortunately and needs 3 spur gears repaired. If you need measurements or photos of anything let me know.

Back