What's new
What's new

ID OLD metal lathe

I bought an old metal lathe two days ago and am trying to ID it. If anyone can help I would appreciate it as I need some parts and will need to know the maker before I can specify parts.

It is a 9" lathe with a 40" bed (end to end) It has no covers over the gears and no provision for covers. It has a flat belt drive. The only identifying marks on it are a cast in number on the lower flange of the bed at the left side, "M192"

I have some pictures I can post to anyone that thinks they can help.

Originally posted by Kurt Westfall:
Go to home and look under photos, it tells you there.

If I read the information in that post, I must first have my pictures on a web site and then I can post a URL for them. I dont have them on a web site. They are in my computer but I dont think I can upload to this site.

Your right about the web site, I had one that worked but it went under, don't know about any right now. lets see if this works.
set+up.jpg

[This message has been edited by Kurt Westfall (edited 08-15-2002).]

I'm pretty sure it is a Barnes. Friend of mine has one burried underneith a larger machine, it is a Barnes, they look about the same. Been a couple of years since I saw that machine, the dovetail bed is distintive.

I will be moving this thread to the antiques machine forum (i.e. where it should have been posted in the first place).. it still can be reponded to further there.

Originally posted by halfnut:
I'm pretty sure it is a Barnes. Friend of mine has one burried underneith a larger machine, it is a Barnes, they look about the same. Been a couple of years since I saw that machine, the dovetail bed is distintive.

YES!! You have identified it. It is a WF & John Barnes No. 4 1/2 Velocipede foot powered lathe from about 1887. After your post I did a search on Barnes Lathe and the first result was a picture of my lathe sans bench seat and pedals. Thank you very much. Now the search for tailstock and other parts will begin. I had no idea that it was that old. This means the parts will be harder to find. Thanks again for the ID on it.

Back