What's new
What's new

Implementing shop flow and organization, good ideas? what is too much?

HI , am from india, and me and my dad run 2 machine shop with Vtl's, HBMs,RDM,HMC's,VMC and a CMM etc.. my dad runs it old school, but he has everything stored in his head he always remembers scheduled date,he also quote for job by just seeing the drawing for a minute. then i stepped in i couldn't figure out whats happening. i couldn't track the jobs so i came up with a WORK FLOW SHEET . which is a simple spreadsheet, using the drive app on G mail, i assigned people to fill that sheet with name , drwng no, dc no ,dc date these detail will be filled by a guy who prepared DC , so every time a material comes in this guys fill enter the detail in the sheet , then come the production part , in that production guy will fill the production details like , turining, milling,drilling,CNC,inspection,testing,Packing , this will be filled with color code like green for complete , red for breakdown, yellow for on process, blue for waiting, after completion for despatch the Guy who puts the Dc will put the DC closing date and closed the job . even we comment on the specific cells on spreadsheet to communicate , say is production guy put red on the inspection part , he add a comment saying reason for breakdown ....

This how we control and monitor the work flow in my Shopfloor

HI , am from india, and me and my dad run 2 machine shop with Vtl's, HBMs,RDM,HMC's,VMC and a CMM etc.. my dad runs it old school, but he has everything stored in his head he always remembers scheduled date,he also quote for job by just seeing the drawing for a minute. then i stepped in i couldn't figure out whats happening. i couldn't track the jobs so i came up with a WORK FLOW SHEET . which is a simple spreadsheet, using the drive app on G mail, i assigned people to fill that sheet with name , drwng no, dc no ,dc date these detail will be filled by a guy who prepared DC , so every time a material comes in this guys fill enter the detail in the sheet , then come the production part , in that production guy will fill the production details like , turining, milling,drilling,CNC,inspection,testing,Packing , this will be filled with color code like green for complete , red for breakdown, yellow for on process, blue for waiting, after completion for despatch the Guy who puts the Dc will put the DC closing date and closed the job . even we comment on the specific cells on spreadsheet to communicate , say is production guy put red on the inspection part , he add a comment saying reason for breakdown ....

This how we control and monitor the work flow in my Shopfloor

[not looking for this type of thing currently - so just asking our of curiosity]

You say that this is a phone app?
So anyone who would report to this spreadsheet has a smart phone on them to update it at a moments notice?

Or maybe you have a few public phones scattered in strategic areas around the shop that maybe a few people might share?

You like this better than a PC based one?

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

[not looking for this type of thing currently - so just asking our of curiosity]

You say that this is a phone app?
So anyone who would report to this spreadsheet has a smart phone on them to update it at a moments notice?

Or maybe you have a few public phones scattered in strategic areas around the shop that maybe a few people might share?

You like this better than a PC based one?

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Made me think of something I saw while out in the country a few years ago in a very poor area in the North of Thailand and I kid you not :)

A farmer ploughing a ricefield with an ox (no resemblance intended) with one hand on the plough and the other up to his ear talking on a cell phone. It was only afterwards I could have kicked myself for not taking a picture :)

I will give just one small item instead of boring people with details and opinions....( I cant believe I said that)......The best thing we implemented for our setup sheets was a $50 digital camera.....A picture is worth 1,000 words.......and if you pull the pic into Excell you can add a few of those words as well.

Of course like most things in a shop environment.....someone eventually will find a way to have " a little fun" with the camera.......So one morning we were all treated to a very artistic picture of someones morning constitutional from the mens room........Damn guys lol

Back