What's new
What's new

Impossibly complicated purchase...replacement way cover.

implmex

Diamond
Hi All:
I broke the Z axis way cover for my Prodigy lathe (it's like a small aluminum curtain made of slats with hinges in between each one) and went back to the supplier who'd attached his logo and website to the part when it was originally supplied to the OEM.
SNK no longer supports the Prodigy.

So I call the cover maker:

"Fill out the RFQ form".
So I fill it out and submit it.

I get an email:
"Are you SURE this is what you want?"
Yes, this is what was originally on the machine.

I get another email:
"You didn't specify...(something totally irrelevant)"
I don't need that bit (photo attached), but I need that cover.
Treat this email as a Purchase Order.

I get another email:
"But we haven't quoted it yet"
I don't care...I need that cover.
Please get it in a box and get it to me... here's my Fedex number and I will give you my credit card number as soon as the part is in the box. ready to ship.

I get another email:
"Here is your quote and by the way it's going to be 60 business days for us to put it in a box for you."

So it broke on Saturday, I put in the request on Monday morning, and it's now Friday, only to find the part will cost $78.00 USD but will take 60 days to get to my door.

I have not been asked to jump through quite so many hoops ever before.
All that for a seventy eight dollar sale.
The company must be getting rich on this sales policy:willy_nilly:.
In these days of instant Amazon for everything, it's kind of a quaint blast from the past when suppliers could pull this shit knowing they had you over a barrel.

I will fix the old cover and waste a day to do it.
I doubt I'll ever give them that 78 dollar order.
They will suffer mightily not scoring my huge order :D and I will feel virtuous for having denied them financial salvation, all by myself.

It's become a crazy world!
BTW, there is no embedded question in this post...it's just a small pissy rant, but I do invite all to share similar stories so we can all complain and feel good afterward.
I feel better already!

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

If it makes you feel better the last time I talked to a buyer of aluminum extrusions lead time was6 months on dies that were on hand and proved out. The only place they could find near term capacity was Indonesia, and they didn't have enough other parts to utilize a 747 freighter full of extrusions.

And the cover? You just as well order 2 or 3 now. I understand your frustration, but if your machine needs them your repair probably won't last until the replacement arrives.

Hi redlee:
Last time I needed to replace the cover (2016) it took one phone call, an overnight Fedex flight to get it, and half an hour to install it.
I am assuming it was a stock item based on that timeline, but I do not know if that is still the case.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com
Just curious because things have changed as you know, hard to buy certain consumer goods today.
If its on a shelf then I agree , but if it has to be made or sourced well then 60 days isnt too bad.
JMHO

Don’t forget the shipping requirements review, to be followed by the shipping box design review, culminating in the shipping readiness review.

On one hand I understand your frustration. On the other hand, you're effectively asking for a custom job they probably haven't run in years, and which they used to supply in high volume and you now want one of.

If this were a Colchester part the good news is you would be able to get it in only 30 days but it would cost you $4,000. Then you'd get a message from a certain individual who would offer to sell you a used one for $2,000, but only if you send him your damaged one.

A bit late to the party but we have a good "sticky" in the reconditioning forum on way covers.

Maybe try these guys:

I have no affiliation other than their tag is riveted to one o’my Fadal’s way covers.

The lead time you got is a “we’re a 4th party vendor and need to RFQ/repackage/relabel this product” type lead time.

Good luck!

Back