What's new
What's new

Incoming Material Marking Requirements

brokentrace

Plastic
I'm trying to settle an argument within my company.

For companies that have a QMS with ISO and AS9100 certifications. When material is received under the QMS, what marking requirements do you require of the material vendor?

Examples:

Marking every piece of material with label

Marking the top piece or pallet

Marking every piece with a paint marker with PO, Heat lot, and material.

Only the packing list and incoming inspection identifies the individual pieces.

Thanks in advance.

My compliance slips are with the packing list.
If two different batches are involved in a shipment I get two certs and the material is separated by such.
My job to keep track of which is which.
But... not like there is any decent low cost way of marking carbide blanks each.

When I did axle making each big coil was labeled with the heat run.
Once opened we kept track of it through the process. Each heat run would need adjustments and qualification from Met-Lab for the heat treat steps.
New heat run... everything comes to a halt for 1/2 to 3 hours for cut and check.
We bar coded each shaft early in the process so we could backtrack all steps by date and time made on any one axle.
Neat thing here. If a batch failed fatigue test at any point the system would lock out that batch and the machines would not accept the stock if loaded in.
Weird to see your lathe say "I am not going to run that part, I think it is crappy stock and I don't trust it".
Bob

Last edited:
We bar coded each shaft early in the process so we could backtrack all steps by date and time made on any one axle.
Neat thing here. If a batch failed fatigue test at any point the system would lock out that batch and the machines would not accept the stock if loaded in.

That’s super cool. Operator-proof the process as much as possible.

Dad would have the end of the bar color coded and marked with the AISI number and diameter. The heat # would be on a tag taped to the storage rack.

Back