What's new
What's new

Info for older south bend lathe

Cad1220

Plastic
My first post on this form, so thanks for any help or information.
I am looking for information on a South Bend Lathe. It is a 69E model and the serial number is 32070. Would like to know the year of manufacture and the features that are on this machine.
Thanks in advance for your help and support.
Arnie

Attachments

• 69E 1.jpg
    69E 1.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 69E2.jpg
    69E2.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 69E3.jpg
    69E3.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 69E4.jpg
    69E4.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 41
My first post on this form, so thanks for any help or information.
I am looking for information on a South Bend Lathe. It is a 69E model and the serial number is 32070. Would like to know the year of manufacture and the features that are on this machine.
Thanks in advance for your help and support.
Arnie
Your previous thread

Check on Vintagemachinery.org as the have lot of instruction, parts and maintenance manuals for South Bend and other brand machines. You can download them for free or donate a small amount. If you wait here someone will know the date eventually.

If you look at the top of the forum page, Mr. Wells is collecting serial numbers into a chart with the year of manufacture. Go in and find your place and add yours to the list. Just guessing, I would say you are going to be in the mid twenties.(1920's)

Is there still parts available for this Model 69 South Bend lathe? If so what is a good source to check for items that might be needed to help with a restoration? Thanks,
Arnold

Is there still parts available for this Model 69 South Bend lathe? If so what is a good source to check for items that might be needed to help with a restoration? Thanks,
Arnold
I'd guess not, for the simple reason being very nearly 100 years old and not many built. Its a Series O and that design was discontinued in the 1930s

Arnold
Parts? 😂 That's a 100 year old machine made by a company that essentially, no longer exists. If all the major castings are intact, the bed and spindle bearings not worn beyond usability, then go for it. But I wouldn't spend over $500 for that machine. You'd probably be better off with that free Monarch near Lake Tahoe.

Can anyone give me an idea of what year this south bend lathe is? The serial number on the bed ways is 1695HKR with a 8 scibed below this. Also what does the HKR stand for? Thanks in advance for help and support.

Just looking for some information on older SB lathes. What are the 16" x 6' lathes worth if they are in restored condition? Is there any demand for them? I know without seeing something it is hard to tell price, but even a ball park price would help. Thanks

Back