What's new
What's new

Info on The Ridge Tool Company, Simplex 43 cpn bench vise

casaid1

Plastic
Can anyone give me a date of manufacturing that this vise would have been made? Even if its a certain decade. I know that this company used to be what is now Rigid. But I can't find any info on this particular vise.
Its a "The Ridge Tool Company" SIMPLEX 43 CPN 4-1/2" jaws. And the lead screw is an awesome 7/8" x 4tpi square thread. Thats almost impossible to find. From what I can gather from wiki it says they moved to Elyria, Ohio in 1943 wich is whats stamped on the vise. (So i know its 1943+) I have found some pics online just for examples. Its defining feature that I could tell, is that the jaws were set into a round notch with pins holding it in place. The last picture is of a Simplex C 43 that has a flat backed jaw design (its just to show the difference)

Attachments

• R.jpeg-34.jpg
    R.jpeg-34.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 33352af8287d3ca98e3e6a47813f8e63.jpg
    33352af8287d3ca98e3e6a47813f8e63.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 2000_4363586.jpeg.jpg
    2000_4363586.jpeg.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 4b298cb27e215b4256fe92ff4f4441a7.jpg
    4b298cb27e215b4256fe92ff4f4441a7.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I've owned and used a Ridgid-Simplex 43 CP vise since 1976. The vise was nearly new when I got it as a used vise. My Simplex vise lacks one of the clamping dogs on one side, and the pipe jaws were not with it when I got it. I use a Ridgid 'tri stand' ( a folding 3 legged stand) with a Ridgid pipe vise, so do not miss the pipe jaw inserts. My Ridgid - Simplex vise has stood up to anything I have used it for, including hot bending of steel, holding work while I chipped it off with cold or cape chisels and hammers, cold bending of steel with a 3 lb hammer, and basic machinist's use- holding work for filing, tapping, and similar.

I believe Ridgid ceased to make that particular vise some time about the time I got my Ridgid-Simplex vise. Reason being that I have a new, never used Columbian vise which is a dead wringer for the Ridgid-Simplex vise. The COlumbian vise dates to about 1973 or 74.

There is another red herring in this matter: Simplex vises, or at least the Simplex name, was put on machinist vises made many years ago in Woonsocket, Rhode Island. Either the Simplex vise company of Woonsocket went out of business, and Ridigid picked up the trade name, or Ridgid bought the product line and trade name from them.

Ridgid is famous the world over for their pipe fitters and plumbers tools, mainly pipe wrenches. For many years, they had offered a line of pipe wrenches, pipe threading die stocks, and 'pipe machines'. Pipe Machines is a slang term for a powered pipe threading machine. Ridgid has offered a lineup of powered pipe threading machines for ages. They expanded the line as the years passed, offering powered sewer cleaning snakes, and tools for working with copper tubing (flare blocks, tubing cutters, tube benders).

It seems like in more recent years, Ridgid began offering things like portable generators, wet/dry vacuum cleaners, and fiberoptic pipe inspection devices. I am fairly certain Ridgid dropped the Simplex vises from their lineup many years ago. More recently, Ridigd began offering a German made bench vise with their name on it. It's a high quality vise with a n equally high price tag. Not up to the kind of heavy work that can be done in an old Ridgid-Simplex bench vise.

I think Ridgid was either a family-held or independent corporation for most of its existence. Again, in more recent years, I think a conglomerate (Emerson ? if I recall rightly) bought up Ridgid. This might account for the additions of things like wet-dry vacuums and portable generators to the product line. Ridgid has kept up with the times and changes in the plumbing world. They offer tools for working with the flexible plastic piping ("PEX") and a powered portable crimper for making up copper piping with crimp-type fittings rather than sweated joints.

The Ridgid-Simplex vise is a basic machinist's vise of a design that was kind of an accross the board thing with US vise makers. As the OP notes, there is a LOT of iron in a Ridgid-Simplex vise, as you would expect in any 'classic' US made machinist vise, whether it be Morgan, Yost, Parker, Athol, or Prentiss. The finish on some of the parts on the Ridgid vise is not quite up to the likes of a Parker or Prentiss vise, but overall, it's in the same league. Another sidenote: Ridgid has had a competitor in the manufacture of plumbers and pipefitters tools for ages in the form of Reed. Reed is in Erie, PA. Reed has offered very heavily built machinist bench vises for ages. A Reed vise is guaranteed to weigh a good bit more than many similarly sized vises of US make would weigh. Reed vises were known for being able to stand up to the worst abuse in places like powerplant maintenance shops, shipyards, locomotive backshops and similar.

Ridgid is alive and well in Elyria, Ohio. With the moves away from the threaded piping and away from cast iron soil pipe, Ridgid's product line has correspondingly lightened up. Ridgid would have offered the Simplex vise to shops and contractors doing commercial, power, or process piping. Those type customers would have pipefitters fabricating structural steel pipe supports or pipe hangers, often right at the jobsite. For that reason, a heavy vise like the Ridgid-Simplex would be needed, and would be a logical part of Ridgid's lineup. While this type of piping and the hangers and supports for it are still very much in use and being installed on new projects, Ridgid found reason to abandon the Simplex vise line. A pipefitter making up a pipe support bracket from structural steel would use a heavy vise and use it hard, often heating steel with a rosebud, and using a sledge hammer to beat the steel into the required bend while held in the vise. Seen it done MANY times on powerplant jobs, done much the same sort of thing in my own Ridgid-Simplex vise. My Ridgid-Simplex vise is mounted on a bench I made back about 1983. The legs are 1 1/2" standard weight black steel pipe, with 3" x 2" x 1/4" steel angle used for the top and mid-height cross members. Legs have 1/4" steel plate welded to the bottom ends. Top of the bench is 2" thick wood plank, edges planed and then pulled together and edge-glued. Heavy wood battens are lagged to the underside of the top. The top is carriage bolted to the steel angle on each set of legs. The Ridgid-Simplex vise sits on a piece of 3/8" thick steel plate that is "let into" the wood top and spans the full width of the bench top. 3/8" bolts are run up from the bottom surface of the planking, into tapped holes in the steel plate. I cleaned the projecting ends of those bolts off flush with a sharp cold chisel and hammer, not wanting to use an angle grinder in my basement, nor wanting to gouge the top plate unnecessarily with it. The Ridgid-Simplex vise is held to the bench with 5/8" diameter steel bolts. The vise is located close to the left end of the bench, so I can work with things like diestocks or bending work that might otherwise hit the top of the bench. The vise has plenty of scars on it, and Mea Culpa on that matter. I do have home made copper jaw caps for finer work, so the vise sees the whole range of work and does fine with all of it.

Thank you Joe for another lesson in manufacturing history. I have a 6" Desmond Simplex drill press vise and it too is plenty beefy. Where does this brand come in?

I've owned and used a Ridgid-Simplex 43 CP vise since 1976. The vise was nearly new when I got it as a used vise. My Simplex vise lacks one of the clamping dogs on one side, and the pipe jaws were not with it when I got it. I use a Ridgid 'tri stand' ( a folding 3 legged stand) with a Ridgid pipe vise, so do not miss the pipe jaw inserts. My Ridgid - Simplex vise has stood up to anything I have used it for, including hot bending of steel, holding work while I chipped it off with cold or cape chisels and hammers, cold bending of steel with a 3 lb hammer, and basic machinist's use- holding work for filing, tapping, and similar.

I believe Ridgid ceased to make that particular vise some time about the time I got my Ridgid-Simplex vise. Reason being that I have a new, never used Columbian vise which is a dead wringer for the Ridgid-Simplex vise. The COlumbian vise dates to about 1973 or 74.

There is another red herring in this matter: Simplex vises, or at least the Simplex name, was put on machinist vises made many years ago in Woonsocket, Rhode Island. Either the Simplex vise company of Woonsocket went out of business, and Ridigid picked up the trade name, or Ridgid bought the product line and trade name from them.

Ridgid is famous the world over for their pipe fitters and plumbers tools, mainly pipe wrenches. For many years, they had offered a line of pipe wrenches, pipe threading die stocks, and 'pipe machines'. Pipe Machines is a slang term for a powered pipe threading machine. Ridgid has offered a lineup of powered pipe threading machines for ages. They expanded the line as the years passed, offering powered sewer cleaning snakes, and tools for working with copper tubing (flare blocks, tubing cutters, tube benders).

It seems like in more recent years, Ridgid began offering things like portable generators, wet/dry vacuum cleaners, and fiberoptic pipe inspection devices. I am fairly certain Ridgid dropped the Simplex vises from their lineup many years ago. More recently, Ridigd began offering a German made bench vise with their name on it. It's a high quality vise with a n equally high price tag. Not up to the kind of heavy work that can be done in an old Ridgid-Simplex bench vise.

I think Ridgid was either a family-held or independent corporation for most of its existence. Again, in more recent years, I think a conglomerate (Emerson ? if I recall rightly) bought up Ridgid. This might account for the additions of things like wet-dry vacuums and portable generators to the product line. Ridgid has kept up with the times and changes in the plumbing world. They offer tools for working with the flexible plastic piping ("PEX") and a powered portable crimper for making up copper piping with crimp-type fittings rather than sweated joints.

The Ridgid-Simplex vise is a basic machinist's vise of a design that was kind of an accross the board thing with US vise makers. As the OP notes, there is a LOT of iron in a Ridgid-Simplex vise, as you would expect in any 'classic' US made machinist vise, whether it be Morgan, Yost, Parker, Athol, or Prentiss. The finish on some of the parts on the Ridgid vise is not quite up to the likes of a Parker or Prentiss vise, but overall, it's in the same league. Another sidenote: Ridgid has had a competitor in the manufacture of plumbers and pipefitters tools for ages in the form of Reed. Reed is in Erie, PA. Reed has offered very heavily built machinist bench vises for ages. A Reed vise is guaranteed to weigh a good bit more than many similarly sized vises of US make would weigh. Reed vises were known for being able to stand up to the worst abuse in places like powerplant maintenance shops, shipyards, locomotive backshops and similar.

Ridgid is alive and well in Elyria, Ohio. With the moves away from the threaded piping and away from cast iron soil pipe, Ridgid's product line has correspondingly lightened up. Ridgid would have offered the Simplex vise to shops and contractors doing commercial, power, or process piping. Those type customers would have pipefitters fabricating structural steel pipe supports or pipe hangers, often right at the jobsite. For that reason, a heavy vise like the Ridgid-Simplex would be needed, and would be a logical part of Ridgid's lineup. While this type of piping and the hangers and supports for it are still very much in use and being installed on new projects, Ridgid found reason to abandon the Simplex vise line. A pipefitter making up a pipe support bracket from structural steel would use a heavy vise and use it hard, often heating steel with a rosebud, and using a sledge hammer to beat the steel into the required bend while held in the vise. Seen it done MANY times on powerplant jobs, done much the same sort of thing in my own Ridgid-Simplex vise. My Ridgid-Simplex vise is mounted on a bench I made back about 1983. The legs are 1 1/2" standard weight black steel pipe, with 3" x 2" x 1/4" steel angle used for the top and mid-height cross members. Legs have 1/4" steel plate welded to the bottom ends. Top of the bench is 2" thick wood plank, edges planed and then pulled together and edge-glued. Heavy wood battens are lagged to the underside of the top. The top is carriage bolted to the steel angle on each set of legs. The Ridgid-Simplex vise sits on a piece of 3/8" thick steel plate that is "let into" the wood top and spans the full width of the bench top. 3/8" bolts are run up from the bottom surface of the planking, into tapped holes in the steel plate. I cleaned the projecting ends of those bolts off flush with a sharp cold chisel and hammer, not wanting to use an angle grinder in my basement, nor wanting to gouge the top plate unnecessarily with it. The Ridgid-Simplex vise is held to the bench with 5/8" diameter steel bolts. The vise is located close to the left end of the bench, so I can work with things like diestocks or bending work that might otherwise hit the top of the bench. The vise has plenty of scars on it, and Mea Culpa on that matter. I do have home made copper jaw caps for finer work, so the vise sees the whole range of work and does fine with all of it.
Thank you for that info sir!

My primary bench vise is a Simplex/Ridge kind of like that. I don't think mine has as tall of jaws, but it's pretty big overall. Opens about 8" iirc.

If it wasn't very well made I'd have broken it a decade ago.

Great vises.

Is your lead screw also 7/8-4tpi square thread? Or is it metric?

I've never had the vise dismantled to the point where I could inspect the vise screw. I've greased the screw with my fingertips, but never had reason to take things apart. I'll make a point of checking the screw in my Ridgid-Simplex vise & post my findings.

I've never had the vise dismantled to the point where I could inspect the vise screw. I've greased the screw with my fingertips, but never had reason to take things apart. I'll make a point of checking the screw in my Ridgid-Simplex vise & post my findings.
Ok thank you sir.

Ridgid owns Urick foundry in Erie, Pa.
A few miles east of the Reed vice company headquarters.

Does Urick pour the Rigid vice bodies
there ?

Whether or not there is an influence going on between Reed & Rigid I do not know.

But there was also Erie Tool works, as well as Holland foundry.
Allot of vice & pipe tools work in a small area.

Last edited:
DDoug:

While on the subject of manufacturers of tools for pipefitters and plumbers in Erie, PA: Jarecki Governor was an old Erie, PA shop. They also got into making pipe fitters & plumbers tools in the form of adjustable-chase die stocks for pipe threading. Got an ancient Jarecki adjustable chaser diestock in my shop. Jarecki started off making flyball type steam engine governors, and may well have abandoned that in favor of going over entirely to making tools for working with pipe. I believe Jarecki exists in some other form, in Erie, still doing machine work though unrelated to either governors or pipe tools.

As for Urick pouring Reed vise bodies: why not ? Ridgid is out of the business of making a similar style of vise (i.e., the Ridgid-Simplex this thread is about). Who knows ? It's a tangled web of manufacturers who, in terms of final products, are competitors. At the manufacturing level, these same firms may use each other's services for things like castings, forgings, and the like.

Joe,
good post.
About the name Jarecki, I did not know of the old company, there is this one nearby,
but don't think they made steam governors:
The founder was is a wee bit newer to this country:

Joe mentioned a Ridgid tri-stand for threading pipe.
I currently have my mailbox on a Ridgid tri-stand.
It has been hit a few times, and all I have to do is
turn it back right-side up. It sure beats replacing a
post in the ground.

-Doozer

Ddoug:

I googled the "Jarecki Governor, Erie, PA" and got a directory from the Erie Board of Trade in the 1880's. There were a number of businesses, all relating to metalworking or machine work, which had a Jarecki in the name. Maybe the Jarecki who defected with the MiG fighter headed to Erie as he had extended family there.

Doozer:
Nice idea to user the Tri-Stand to hold up your mailbox.... until it gets caught by the blade on a plow truck, a dunk driver, or vandals. I've seen some different ideas for mailbox posts to withstand hits from snow plow blades or drunks. One school of thought is simply to make the stand for the mailbox as stout as possible and put it on a large concrete footing set in the ground. Another school of thought is to put the post far enough back from the road to avoid it getting hit and taken off by plows or drunks... and put the mailbox on a long cantilevered arm. In that design, if the plow or drunk or vandals hit the mailbox, the damage is limited to the mailbox and the arm. Post and footing stay intact. I've also seen some people who took heavy coil springs, probably from junked auto or pickup suspension, and welded them together to make a post. A plate on top and bottom of (2) coil springs stacked end to end and welded together made the post. The bottom plate was bolted to a concrete footing, and a steel arm stuck off the top plate with the mailbox. Idea was the springs would deflect and move the mailbox and then return to original position.

I know USPS is fussy about the height and distance from the edge of the road as well as design of the actual mailbox. We get our mail at the local post office, so our mailing address is a PO box. Our local post office is tiny, and the local postmasters are friendly to visit with when we go to get the mail, or we meet up with friends getting their mail. Our local postmaster is the grand-daughter of a man who was a mechanic in my old crew at the powerplant, so we often visit and reminisce about people and events and similar. In addition, our postmaster has started a kind of library in the post office. She setup some shelves, and encourages people to drop off books and magazines they no longer want to keep at home. The result is we browse the book shelves for a minute or two while getting the mail. Most of the reading material is shallow novels or musty old copies of classic literature someone sweated over in high school. But, there is a shelf for manuals, and another shelf for academic material like SAT preparatory books.

As I wrote, our local PO is tiny. If there is a line at the window, it is maybe one or two other people and a good chance we know them. We keep getting our mail at the Post Office because the USPS is looking to close down the smaller rural post offices. The more business a rural post office does, the better its chances of survival. When we first got our post office box, it was an ancient thing with a cast bronze door and knurled brass knob to work the combination lock on it. It was soon replaced with a modern steel fronted bank of boxes for which we must have the key.

Our post office is never locked, even when officially closed at the end of business hours. The access to the PO boxes is always left unlocked, so we can get our mail anytime we are passing the PO. A stock of USPS priority mail boxes, and other mailers is left available as well. No one vandalizes our PO, and I wonder how long it will be before either someone does, or some vagrants decide to crash in the PO to get out of the weather. Our PO is about 1 1/2 miles from our house. As I wrote, I often meet friends there, and some live close enough to walk there for their mail. Fortunately, the post office property contains a second occupant in the form of a sweater knitting business. It is a 'cottage industry', using some Italian made knitting machines crammed into a small space. The sweater knitting business receives shipments of yarn and other supplies, and dispatches many packages of finished goods from the PO. This bumps up the metrics for how much business our PO does, so helps it survive.

Across the road from the PO there is a sawmill and 'baby barn'/shed business. For over 30 years, I've handled engineering for them when a PE is required to review and stamp their plans for things like roof trusses made of rough sawn timber, or for homes they also build. They have a couple of wood bins along the road where they dump the wood scrap. A lot of it is good 4/4's rough sawn pine or heavier. Great stuff for making birdhouses or letting kids hammer nails into or for building packing boxes. I do what most of us do, though. That is to grab a few armloads of the scrap wood for kindling. Many of us heat with wood, some few of us with coal, so we need the kindling. A trip to get the mail can be a social call as well as a run to get more kindling, or to pick up or drop off sets of plans at the sawmill. If we did opt for a mailbox, it would have to be set along a well travelled road, about 0.4 miles from our house. If we went that route, if we had packages come into the post office, there would be no picking them up when the office was closed. As box-holders, if we receive packages, our postmaster puts a key to an oversize box in our regular box, so no need to have the office open for business. Going to our little PO is part of the 'old Shandaken'. The 'old Shandaken' is fast changing with the influx of city people wanting to change things to suit their ideas, usually not for the better. Keeping our PO as it is and going to get the mail is part of the Old Shandaken, and I'd hate to see it pass into oblivion. As tempted as I might be to build a mailbox using ornamental blacksmithing, structural steel, railroad rail and heavy equipment parts to resist hits from plow trucks and vandals and drunks, I hold off and do my part to keep our local post office alive and well.

Hello!
I am new to this forum so please pardon any unintentional posting mistakes. Just got a Ridgid (Ridge Tool Co) Machinist Vise 43PN. Beautiful! Just started the process of taking it apart and am wondering how the nut is usually held in the bevel? Mine has what looks like a roll pin shoved into a hole. It's on a weird angle and is caked with vise/shop goop. Probably will become clearer as I clean further but wanted to ask what you all have found with yours. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Every vise I've ever had apart, the "nut" is held captive in that slot with a pin drove in from the bottom.

Thank you, Joe! Just went and looked again and the hole is there on the bottom. I didn’t see it this afternoon- it’s full of grease. Thanks for the help!

Thank you, Joe! Just went and looked again and the hole is there on the bottom. I didn’t see it this afternoon- it’s full of grease. Thanks for the help!
And to clarify... the pin doesn't contact the nut in any way... it just pokes up behind it to keep the nut from sliding out backward when opening the vise jaw.
I like to reach in there with a long punch and beat the part of the pin that is poking up over against the nut to eliminate any back and forth movement.

And to clarify... the pin doesn't contact the nut in any way... it just pokes up behind it to keep the nut from sliding out backward when opening the vise jaw.
I like to reach in there with a long punch and beat the part of the pin that is poking up over against the nut to eliminate any back and forth movement.
I appreciate this too, Joe. I’ll remember that when reassembly comes.

Hello again everybody.
I have another question for you all please. How are the jaws attached on this Ridgid (Ridge Tool Co) Machinist Vise 43PN?
Thank you!

Back