What's new
What's new

Insert for deeper 0.062 grooves?

SND

Diamond
Just wondering what you guys use for .062" grooves that are deeper than a top-lok will reach, a few common insert types seem to stop at 3mm(.118") deep.
Looking for something closer to 4-5mm deep and good quality.

thanks

Here's another vote for thinbit. I have a standard part with a .032 wide groove x .125 per side deep. Works great until it dinks off, can't even hear them break and the slightest chip wrapping will take it right off. But when it works it works great.

Heh, yeah I've had that too. What I love about Thinbit was getting customs from them very quickly, and at reasonable prices. Not sure if that's still the case (it's been years), but I hope so.

Thinbit still ships customs for under $20 in a couple days. Great tools for applications like this. That's the first place I'd look. If it was going to be a high production part, I'd examine the ISCAR Pentacut line and see if they had a suitable insert.

Just wondering what you guys use for .062" grooves that are deeper than a top-lok will reach, a few common insert types seem to stop at 3mm(.118") deep.
Looking for something closer to 4-5mm deep and good quality.

thanks

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago with a .094 requirement, and someone here told me aboot the deep groovers from Kenna for your Top Notch.

You just need to add a "D" to the designation:

NGD3094RK KC5025

These worked good for me in my app.
IDK what other sizes that they have available in the Deep groovers, but I would guess .062 to be in there.

Now these are one sided.
The deep groove end sticks out further than normal, so it won't turn over for side 2.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

IIRC you use Sandvik tools a fair bit?

I use the Corocut XS system for that. I have a box right next to me on my desk right now that are 1mm width and 6mm max depth - MACL 3 100-N

It's a good system and not limited to grooving, there are screwcutting and turning inserts also.

IIRC you use Sandvik tools a fair bit?

I use the Corocut XS system for that. I have a box right next to me on my desk right now that are 1mm width and 6mm max depth - MACL 3 100-N

It's a good system and not limited to grooving, there are screwcutting and turning inserts also.

Sandvik is always my go to if you already have the holders. Your insert is a cutoff (MAC), Left handed (L) 3 series (3) 1mm wide (100) Neutral Rake (N) insert.

For this application I'd choose a MACR/L 3 150 N insert, which lets you nail the whole groove in one shot, or leaving you .0015" on each wall to clean up, depending on the tolerance on the .062" dimension.

Thinbit still ships customs for under $20 in a couple days. Great tools for applications like this. That's the first place I'd look. If it was going to be a high production part, I'd examine the ISCAR Pentacut line and see if they had a suitable insert.

You will also get a promo package with a first order if they are still doing that. It had a 3" scale a tee shirt and a few other things. They only sent me a large, and I mentioned that on a follow up call and they sent me a bigger one.

I was going to suggest the Sandvik MACx stuff. I use the MAC series for grooving here and I am very happy with them. Cost is reasonable once you have the holder and you can find them new on eBay for a few hundred bucks. I use the Swiss wedge quick change units here even though I don't have a Swiss and don't have the wedge clamp system LOL. Just what I could find on eBay.

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago with a .094 requirement, and someone here told me aboot the deep groovers from Kenna for your Top Notch.

You just need to add a "D" to the designation:

NGD3094RK KC5025

These worked good for me in my app.
IDK what other sizes that they have available in the Deep groovers, but I would guess .062 to be in there.

Now these are one sided.
The deep groove end sticks out further than normal, so it won't turn over for side 2.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yes they do make a deep .062 wide, but off the top of my head i don't remember the depth.

Tool-Flo makes a deeper than normal top-notch system.
Just like regular top-notch but longer.
Inserts will not fit in a standard top-notch holder without serious modification to the body so you need to buy a holder and inserts.
I think .062 would be a special grind.

TNMA/TPMA-43 or 54 NGs should go 5mm deep as a special.
Bob

Thanks for the suggestions.
Iscar makes some pentacut in 1.50 x5mm and even a 6mm but their 1.57mm widths stop at 3mm depth for some stupid reason.
Anyway if I do try a 1.50 and to skim another .002" pass I'll probably go with those as I have some penta holders.
I currently use TNMC's, but they only come in 40yr old carbide grades that are shit compared to today's carbide grades/coatings so I was hoping to upgrade.

I'll look a bit more into Sandvik's options, it is what I use to most of and good local support.
Some of the other stuff I'm not sure is even available in Canada.

Back