What's new
What's new

Inspection station and mic. Set for non machinist operators??

Stirling

Hot Rolled
Looking for input on recommended inspection station and micrometers for my lil shop.

My retired dad has been helping me out lately and wants to continue helping for a few years tending the lathe.

I always do all the measuring as he’s never done it (retired trucker-68yo) But in an effort to educate/better utilize/develop sustainable “new employee” processes I want to have “operators” do at bench qc. Of tight’ish tolerance work. +- 0.0003” range work.
(Bearing fits)

I’ll be present but would prefer not to be there for every part of the machine.

I’m looking at stuff like the mitutoyo digital Micrometers and there are a lot more options than 20 years ago.
What is everyone’s thoughts?
Standard pitch, X4 pitch, x20 pitch????
Ratchet vs friction thimble.
I dont mind spending a couple grand to do it right.

What’s going to help the “new guy” be most successful?

Current job is a 10” long shaft,
2 bearing fits. A seal fit, a coupling fit, a keyway width and concentricity run out to measure.
How would you set up a bench inspection station?

I was thinking some quality mic’s.. go-no go gauge block for the keyway. A fixture to place the part in at 45 deg to measure the parts in and intigrate a dial indicator to check the coupling end for excessive shaft run out.

Produced in sub spindle Y axis lathe, cut one half, transfer, but other half. Rough stock to finished sizes in one shot
It’s a low speed nothing fancy shaft. But I want to keep run out under 0.0006” at the coupling tip.(x25 test pc. Ran very well)

I would appreciate any input!
Thanks everyone

I have a bunch of bench centers of different sizes, as well as DTIs and balance indicators that came out of a grinding shop that did similar work to what you're describing.

For micrometers I think the digital Mitutoyo micrometers are great for this. I have a few beautiful indicating mics I bought for this but I don't use them anymore. The Mitutoyo mic just works good. I use the little rachet on the back. Also, I have a Mitutoyo mic stand that's super nice to put a mic in for small parts.

Also those little 8" square granites with an indicator are very handy for comparing sizes. Not too pricey either.
Gage with a jo-block before measuring each part. Easy Peasy.

We make modular bench top fixture gages that holds part between centers and measures diameters or lengths and runout with spring loaded caliper arms or levers using 1 micron indicators. Comparative measurement against a calibrated master. Designed for a 10% R&R for automotive high production. But a couple grand won't get it done.
www.progtool.net

Back