What's new
What's new

Installing K&T 2H Vertical Head Parking Attachment

Ohio Mike

Titanium
Good Day Everyone,
So after some years of searching I finally able to locate and purchase a really nice well cared for vertical head for my 2H mill. Its the Standard High Speed Adjustable with the drive gear. As an added bonus the purchase included the parking attachment. Actually I found it because the seller sold me a K&T model H dividing head and we got to talking about K&T mills. Turns out he had the head and parking attachment on a pallet and hand't gotten around to figuring out which model it went on. So for those with the parking attachment I have a question since I'm missing some hardware. The diagram indicates longer studs were installed (around an inch longer) and the bracket appears to hang off of them via an "eccentric hex block" which is part #3 in the diagram. So my question is was the eccentric there just to adjust for casting differences and provide 6 positions for some lateral adjustment? I need to reproduce them or something similar. The block would need to slide up and down slightly has the nuts were tightened on the studs to lock the overarms. The parts breakdown below is from K&T publication AR-30.

Thanks, Mike

2H Parking Attach Parts 1.jpg2H Parking Attach Parts 2.jpg

I put a parking attachment on my 2h plain and made special nuts to fit down into the slots on the parking attachment.... The turned section of the nuts is long enough to contact the overarm locks before the hex contacts the parking attachment.. I made the nuts with the same size hex as original, then hardened them with kasenit.... I got my std hi speed head and parking attachment in a swap deal, and of course, no drive gear so I cut one on my 2hl universal....This unit takes the gear with spacer disc and special procedure for installing and removing head.. Cheers from Louisiana; Ramsay 1:)

I had some time to work on this last night and I had a chuck of 1-1/4 inch hex so I cut two pieces and faced them square, drilled them 3/4 inches and they seem to work good as a spacer. Just reused the existing nuts and washers. I thought it would be temporary but it works so well it will likely stay put.

I have a number of attachments for my K&T, the parking attachment is a nice option. That said In my home shop I installed jibs above the machine for installing and removing accessories on the machine as well as with helping an old man load material onto the table.

Very nice setup.What is the capacity of the jibs?

I've had some questions about this so this is a follow up. Attached is a photo of a completed hex block used as a standoff. This was made from 1.25 inch 12L14 with a simple clearance hole. K&T called this an "Eccentric Hex Block" so I assume original the hole was drilled off center to allow some adjustment by clocking the hex at different locations. Mine are drill on center and they work fine.

Attachments

• Parking Attachment Closeup.jpg
    Parking Attachment Closeup.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 21
I've had some questions about this so this is a follow up. Attached is a photo of a completed hex block used as a standoff. This was made from 1.25 inch 12L14 with a simple clearance hole. K&T called this an "Eccentric Hex Block" so I assume original the hole was drilled off center to allow some adjustment by clocking the hex at different locations. Mine are drill on center and they work fine.
Hello: I put a parking attachment on my 2h and used the same studs.. I make long nuts and machined the portion that fits in the parking attachment just large enough to fill the slot...The hex on top for the wrench is the same size as the original nut... Cheers from Louisiana; Ramsay 1:)

Attachments

• nut.jpg
    nut.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 19
  • wrench.jpg
    wrench.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 18
ok thanks...thats how things looked...in a video by keith R. he mounts his pa and indicates that the 2 'jack' bolts under the bosses are for leveling out the pa and also to help take load off the bolts that secure the vent cover. I was also thinking the 'hex' bolts or cylinders or whatever u decide to mount to the top should be fashioned where the parking attachment should be able to 'lean' against them to help support the pa. thanks!

Back