What's new
What's new

INSULATED work boot suggestions ??

Sorels would doo the trick for him - but can you imagine the amount of chips that could collect in that tread by the end of the day? :eek:

(I have 2 pr of them too... ;) )

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Good point, I'd overlooked that. My regular steel caps seem to accumulate enough.

If the boots become too difficult, I'd go for insulated pads on the floor. Depends how the feet are getting cold; if it's heat loss through the boot soles due to a cold floor, having some form of mat with good insulation (and softer to stand on than concrete) would work and be cheap. If it's general loss of heat due to really cold surroundings, boots.

Another thought is to get some of the Sorel inners and then go to the boot shop and see if you can find a more suitable pair of boots that you can get them into.

PDW

US made Danner's- I can highly recommend the Sierras/Acadias with Thinsulate and the original waffle style Vibram soles (no problems with chips and shop refuse) -very comfortable, very well made, toasty. Not cheap, but they last forever and are resoleable and repairable.

It's only 20 here right now, don't know if you guys consider that cold or not...

-17 right now so I guess it will be another day of clumpin around in the boggs today shop might be 30. I guess I should invest in a bigger heater.

I have worn the Cabela's outfitter boots 7" uninsulated ones, the soles on them stood up as well as the Wolverine or Redwings I also wear. Not sure if the insulated Outfitters have the same sole as the uninsulated ones.

My appologies to Greg Q:

The other day I searched for a Sun and Snow in Ann Arbor, and there WAS one exactly where you said - just E of 94.

Not hard to imagine that there is more than one I guess, but that is kinda close. (60 miles?)

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You had better take it now and stow it away, as later when you THINK that you deserve one from me - I may just tell you to pound sand! :D

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yes.........I performed a search, all kinds of posts covering shoes and boots but nothing concerning INSULATED boots.

The concrete floors in my shop, especially now that temps have dropped to the teens, leave my feet frozen all day long. I'm miserable. I cannot get my feet to warm up. I regularly wear Red Wing boots and Wolverine Dura-Shocks, but these are non insulated and cold.

I've been looking at Cabela's Outfitter series boots, 1000 gram thinsulate and gore tex lined, but I'm concerned that the soles will not tolerate a machine shop environment.
There is nothing worse than walking around with soles full of steel. It's just like walking on ball bearings and on some flooring can be a dangerous slip hazard.

So, can anyone suggest some warm, insulated work boots that can survive a shop environment ???

Frank

Home
My name is Adrian, and I created XLfeet.com due to my difficulty finding footwear for my size 16 EEE feet. We offer all sizes for men and women, but our specialties are the XL and wide sizes.

Big Insulated steel toe boots are one of the hardest things for us bigfoots to find, and many of us have not had warm waterproof, let alone steel toe boot, since we were about 11yrs old.

Recently I began offering Large Insulated Steel toe Boots size 7-13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 at the request of the tallest living person ever to play in the NBA, and an actor who has been in a handful of very famous movies.

I would recommend wearing moisture-wicking socks with these boots, as some of my customers working in the oil fields of North Dakota have said the boots are so warm it caused their feet to sweat. Living in the cold Minneapolis, MN, I can tell you first hand how nice it is to have warm, waterproof, steel toe boots.

Let me know if you have any questions. Visit the contact us link on my website XLfeet.com, and look for Adrian's phone number.

Pasted from older thread...

Just bought this for myself at xmas. Best thing I ever did. If you stand one foot on it, one off, you'll notice the difference in seconds. It doesn't get really hot, but does keep the cold concrete from sucking the heat from your feet. This is my first year in a shop without heat, and the first part of the winter was murder. Cold feet definitely take their toll.

Indus-Tool Large Heated Floor Mat, Model# FWB | Safety Mats | Northern Tool + Equipment

Been in the shop when it was in the high 20's, low 30's, and definitely tolerable with the mat.

If you spend any amount of time standing in one spot, I highly recommend it, even if you have heat.

Burt

A couple suggestions.
First if there is an area where you stand alot such as in front of a lathe or a mill . You need to have a rubber or wood mat to stand on. You will benifit from the softer surface as well as it will not be as cold to stand on.
you need good socks , if you sweat at all and your socks get damp you need socks with a good portion of wool content . Wool retains its insulating ability when wet unlike most other materials. Wigwam makes very good socks. you might try there ice sock or there minus 40 silver
Now you need good boots . There are two ways to go a traditional leather work boot or a "insulated rubber boot"
For a good insulated leather work boot I wear Chippewa Boots comfortable well made boots maufactured in the U.S.
For a good rubber boot what is worn by the workers in the freezers at the fish plant is Purofort thermo boot which is claimed to be warm to -50. I know people who have them and swear by them

Back