What's new
What's new

Interesting surface grinder converted to belt sander/grinder

Bill D

Diamond
On sale on local Craig's list. Delta Millwaukee tool maker grinder. Looks like they replaced the grinding wheel with a sanding belt and some idler wheels on springs. They are asking $800 for it. Probably accurate enough for blacksmith work. Burr King comes to mind.
Bill D

Attachments

• grinder.jpeg
    grinder.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 94
Probably a better use for that tool than original. The one I used didn't do a great job of surface grinding. Maybe that had more to do with its conversion to single-phase motor though. . .

I thought that was a poster on the back wall but one of the other CL photos shows it's the drop left over from laser-/water-cutting a bunch of knife blanks from sheet.

I'm sure some of those conversions are very useful. I saw a video where a guitar luthier regularly used a Rockwell 1x42 belt sander as a grinder. He'd use push sticks to slide pices of fret wood between the lower wheel and base of the sander. It was pretty slick.

I saw a similar grinder conversion at auction a while back and saved the pics. As Gordon said, some of these conversions may be more useful than the original.

surf.grind.belt.conversion.82c29d95-6e53-414d-b5f1-afe0013e6284.jpgsurface.grinder.belt.grind.conversion.4cd61e3c-0b3e-4b5e-bbf1-afe0013bc6b0.jpgsurface.grinder.belt.grinder.conversion.638ba44b-d269-42c0-98f6-afe0013d23d5.jpg

Interesting, I wonder if he used the abrasive belt for actual surface grinding.
If so what advantag over a griding wheel?
For a part knife belt sander use it could be an asset

The advantage is sharper abrasive, and with the long belt, rather than the short circumstance of a wheel, it stays that way longer. Also has more time to cool off while traversing around the belt path.

Interesting, I wonder if he used the abrasive belt for actual surface grinding.
If so what advantag over a griding wheel?
For a part knife belt sander use it could be an asset
Along those lines, I can say that the orange ceramic belts these days are amazing compared to Alox of old. Free cutting with much less heat build up. Color has nothing to do with it, there are various ones. The ceramic media is the key. Speaking from belt sander use....

Along those lines, I can say that the orange ceramic belts these days are amazing compared to Alox of old. Free cutting with much less heat build up. Color has nothing to do with it, there are various ones. The ceramic media is the key. Speaking from belt sander use....

Yes. Both Norton Blaze and 3M Cubitron are absolutely outstanding. So much better than the old style abrasive belts and discs.

Yes. Both Norton Blaze and 3M Cubitron are absolutely outstanding. So much better than the old style abrasive belts and discs.
I had some sample Cubitron hook & loop sanding pads that seemed superior. But even the cheap ebay china orange ceramic 1x30 and 6 x 48 are amazing. The 1x30 on the small Delta belt sander do way more work even with the puny horse power available.

Yep, knife-maker job. I know of one small shop that had several as they allowed them to speed up production of their hand made knives. Each one set for different angles or grits.

I've been toying with the idea of building a belt head attachment for a tool & cutter grinder, for the reason noted above of maintaining consistent diameter, or rather radius of the driving wheel because it would allow for consistent hollow grinding of flat blades and use cheaper expendables than CBN wheels. For my project I'd use a tool & cutter grinder because their range of adjustments would negate most fixturing.

Back