What's new
What's new

Introduction and request for help identifying lathe

I just took measurements off my 1927 22-YB, and I get ~4.5" from pin C/L to spindle hole C/L. I think your cover must be from a slightly later lathe? As for your other differences, it looks like SB changed a number of details on the 9 Jr during the 1927-1929 period. I expect some of those were short lived. Oh, and the casting number on my bracket is the same as yours.

Thanks. Yup, same 4.5 inches I measure. I agree with you, I'm thinking they made slight changes along the way and my cover, while correct, was fitted to an updated bracket as well.

I see 2 brackets available during that time period for 9 in. Jr's. A picture is worth a thousand words. Do you see the problem? As one poster said, the part numbers are sort of generic. ie SB may have used the same exact part numbers for a bracket for a Jr but the bracket itself was different depending upon the serial # of the lathe.

Attachments

• bracket 1a.jpg
    bracket 1a.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 25
  • bracket 1b.jpg
    bracket 1b.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 18
  • bracket 2a.jpg
    bracket 2a.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 25
  • bracket 2b.jpg
    bracket 2b.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 67
I dunno- that looks like quite a bit of difference. The double tumbler 10L has a much longer bracket, about 6.75" between center lines, and looks like your longer bracket. However, it is machined differently- two bed clamp screws and no thumbscrew. Maybe they used the same casting.

Yes, and I'd rather answer here so later readers can benefit. I have the 9-147 casting number bracket on my lathe, and it appears identical to yours. I have the same 4.5" dimensions as you have with your bracket. I also have a much longer bracket, from a later double tumbler 10L, which looks very much like the longer bracket you pictured, thought the machined features are different. I do not believe that either of these could be used for your 5" cover, even with changes in machining. There is simply not enough metal to put the hole in the right spot.

So, find/make another cover, or find/make another bracket.

Back