What's new
What's new

Ironworker for hobby shop

I think the hydraulic ones are a lot safer than mechanical ones, especially for a casual user that isn't used to operating one. I've not personally seen someone get hurt on a hydraulic one but have seen smashed fingers from trying to hit two interlocks then grab the part before the punch hits on a mechanical.
We had 3 Buffalo mechanical iron workers in the shop when I was a kid, sometime in the late 60's we retired them, as there had been inhouse modifications to them over the years we desided to scrap them rather then sell because of the liability even in the 60's It's the land of lawyers, lawsuits and idiots.

Buffalos are good for production work, but safety is an issue. Once you start that cycle, there is no stopping it. But for general fab shop work, where you might need 4 holes 1" diameter punched in 3/4" plate one day, and 200 pieces of 3/8" round cut to length the next, hydraulic ironworkers are much much nicer. The good ones have the ability to "inch" down the punch, rather than just have a complete stroke every time you hit the pedal. This means you can align holes with a center punch mark, for a one off.
Decent fixturing, including built in steel tape measures that are accurately fixed to the machine, make it amazingly fast and easy to cut to length and locate holes.

I've used my neighbors very old mechanical Buffalo several times for punching.
There is a handle much like a drill press handle that manually brings the punch down, so you can align it with a punch mark.

Hold it down, step on pedal, easy peasy.

No fiddling with a hydraulic machine in inch mode, can't trap your finger once it's down on the plate either.

I think the hydraulic ones are a lot safer than mechanical ones, especially for a casual user that isn't used to operating one. I've not personally seen someone get hurt on a hydraulic one but have seen smashed fingers from trying to hit two interlocks then grab the part before the punch hits on a mechanical.
i got killed literally by a buffalo number1. I hit the pedal and a 9/16 bullety shot me in the stomach !!!!!

The problem we had was how the two hand interlock was implemented on a machine from the 60's. It wasn't that hard to set a plate on the die and reach up and slap both buttons, then grab the part and slide it around since it took a second or two for the flywheel to catch the ram and shove it down. But get your finger under the plate and it would bite you hard. I hated that machine and never used it myself but I saw someone lose both thumb nails punching some 1/8" angle. If it had been 3/8" he would have lost digits.

agreed but once you step on the pedal there is no turning back with hydraulic you can stop !!!
Yes but the punch shattered, doo you think with a hydraulic one you could stop it in time ?
Doo you think you would hear a crunch before the shrapnel starts flying ?

Yes but the punch shattered, doo you think with a hydraulic one you could stop it in time ?
Punch? I read this as the blank flew out and hit him. I have had that happen dozens of times, usually with stainless 3/8” and up. If ut misses me, it can hit the wall 30 feet back. Doesnt happen with nice soft A36, but SS and some stcky copper alloys can do this.

Punch? I read this as the blank flew out and hit him. I have had that happen dozens of times, usually with stainless 3/8” and up. If ut misses me, it can hit the wall 30 feet back. Doesnt happen with nice soft A36, but SS and some stcky copper alloys can do this.
Poster said "9/16" bullet"

the punch broke and hit me
with hydraulic machine you can "feel" that something is not right.
it was my fault the material i was punching was a piece a AR500 and i did not know that when i was punching it
I paid for that act of stupidity, but at least i am still here to talk about it

Sort of. Assuming we are talking about the type of punch driven by a flywheel that can exert an order of magnitude more force than it is designed for if set up incorrectly, then yes, a hydraulic press would just stop itself.

Granted, you can still use a die that would be obliterated by full tonnage of the press, but hydraulics lend themselves to adjustable tonnage pretty well. Not that anybody uses it. Our Adira press brake stayed cranked at 70 tons unless we were doing something premiumly sketchy. Though being able to accurately adjust pressure without having to have something pinched in the machine would go a long way towards making that safety feature a convenience instead of a nuisance.

(Of topic story, but our Adira brake has a high and low flow pump. We adjusted the speed transition switch so it would stay at rapid travel for the full stroke. The pressure relief valve was actually pretty solid down to 2 tons, so we pressed in a batch of 800 bearing races with it. The guy taking the bearings out of the individual bags couldn't keep up with the guy doing the pressing).

Sort of. Assuming we are talking about the type of punch driven by a flywheel that can exert an order of magnitude more force than it is designed for if set up incorrectly, then yes, a hydraulic press would just stop itself.

Granted, you can still use a die that would be obliterated by full tonnage of the press, but hydraulics lend themselves to adjustable tonnage pretty well. Not that anybody uses it. Our Adira press brake stayed cranked at 70 tons unless we were doing something premiumly sketchy. Though being able to accurately adjust pressure without having to have something pinched in the machine would go a long way towards making that safety feature a convenience instead of a nuisance.

(Of topic story, but our Adira brake has a high and low flow pump. We adjusted the speed transition switch so it would stay at rapid travel for the full stroke. The pressure relief valve was actually pretty solid down to 2 tons, so we pressed in a batch of 800 bearing races with it. The guy taking the bearings out of the individual bags couldn't keep up with the guy doing the pressing).
A Scotchman Hydraulic ironworker does NOT have that level of hydraulic pressure sophistication.
Nor do most of the other manufs.

I am sure the original poster suffised somehow by now. I often like to chime in on conversations, even old topics, Its fun. Anyways, I have experience with only Pirahna Ironworkers. A bit overkill. Possibly not even in the same electrical current phase as far as power goes. If you can find a used one for cheap, 1/4" anything should be no problem for any Pirahna Ironworker no matter the tonnage, expecially for hobby use. Important thing to do though is make sure you get all the attachments for it or any ironworker for the matter.

The Hossfeld and the knock off look alikes of the hossfeld are great, but you really need to have some experience with one before conciderring purchasing one no matter how cheap a price you find one. Hossfeld can fabricate anything! And I truly believe anything! You need to have worked with someone or have been trained by someone with a lot of experience and a wealth of creativity, to really get the most out of a hossfeld. I can not count how many small fab shops i been in where I see in the corner, under some staircase, covered under a tarp or just caked over with dust, boxes of Hossfeld stuff. Most times its because the shop has no employees who know what it is or how to use it or make the tools for it. I have years experience with an old one and the tools i made for it are uncountable, but honestly, an ironworker would be on my list before a hossfeld. Ohh there is definitely a self satisfaction when fabricating with a hossfeld, but these days, I am more about hurry up and get it done, vs fabricating the tooling for the hossfeld to fabricate the project.

Greetings,

I've been reading for the last couple of months about different types of ironworkers. I'm a hobbyist maker and would love something that will punch, shear, and bend, up to 1/4" steel. It will probably only get used a dozen or so times per year, but reliability for occasional use is important. Any recommendations on an ironworker that'll do all three? I've also been looking at a bunch of the chinese stuff on Alibaba and am considering one of them as my use case is so sporadic. Thoughts?
I have the Edwards. Never a problem and it has punch thousands of holes, mostly square ones.
It will punch 1-1/8 holes in 5/16 with quite a bang. The hydraulic motor is really loud.
With only two stations, you will have to change from the bending dies to shearing assembly. The shearing assembly is very heavy and lifting it into position can be a chore if done often. You will need to make a squaring device for the shear because you cannot see the cut line. For the price of the shear, you can almost buy a cold cut saw that will be a lot more convenient.
It bends 1/4 inch plate effortlessly as long as you do not need more than a 7 inch bend.
I mostly punch holes and bend 1/16th inch to 1/4 inch plates.
I seldom use the shear but I do use the 90 degree notcher for trimming a little bit off of plate stock. The notcher is extra heavy, so it often sits unused on the shop floor.
The punch is limited by throat depth so it is very good for fittings and not much good for larger items.
The punch housings are pretty wide so it is hard to punch angles.
If you need to punch lots of square holes or to bend 1/4 inch plate, it is an excellent machine.

I have the Edwards. Never a problem and it has punch thousands of holes, mostly square ones.
It will punch 1-1/8 holes in 5/16 with quite a bang. The hydraulic motor is really loud.
With only two stations, you will have to change from the bending dies to shearing assembly. The shearing assembly is very heavy and lifting it into position can be a chore if done often. You will need to make a squaring device for the shear because you cannot see the cut line. For the price of the shear, you can almost buy a cold cut saw that will be a lot more convenient.
It bends 1/4 inch plate effortlessly as long as you do not need more than a 7 inch bend.
I mostly punch holes and bend 1/16th inch to 1/4 inch plates.
I seldom use the shear but I do use the 90 degree notcher for trimming a little bit off of plate stock. The notcher is extra heavy, so it often sits unused on the shop floor.
The punch is limited by throat depth so it is very good for fittings and not much good for larger items.
The punch housings are pretty wide so it is hard to punch angles.
If you need to punch lots of square holes or to bend 1/4 inch plate, it is an excellent machine.
Yours sounds newer, my shear is built in and not removable. Yes punching near capacity means a 'bang' because of the flex in the frame.

Caution, Tool Gloat :D : An ironworker has been on my wishlist for many years, just hard to justify the expense for my small shop. A few weeks ago the school district had a surplus property sale, some stuff was silent auction format, some had fixed prices, some was "make offer", my main interest that morning was a tig welder in the auction category. There were several machines sitting on trailers out in the parking lot, they had no prices on them, or bid sheets, the one drawing the most attention was a Scotchman ironworker. So I go inside and ask how much, she says make offer, I said $200, she said sold but you have to pay now, I shoved 2 bills at her and she handed me a "Sold" sign. There were half a dozen guys looking it over when I went back outside and said "sorry guys, its all mine":D. It does need a set of punch dies, and the bending brake is missing. Blades on flat and angle iron shear look good. Its at least 60 days out in the que before I get it into shop for a cleanup and testing.

Attachments

• scotchman.JPG
    scotchman.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 23

Back