What's new
What's new

Is it OK to use a Through Coolant Face Mill with a Flood Coolant system?

AmericanMaker

Aluminum
I'm getting a new-to-me VMC. I don't think it has a through coolant spindle. I think it only has a flood coolant system. Are there any concerns or issues with running a through coolant face mill with just a flood coolant system? It's CAT40 3" 90 degree indexable face mill that can use APET, APKT, or APMT inserts.

As BT Fabrication said, you are fine.

From what I have seen, the through-coolant tools are pricier than their standard counterparts - if you are getting a good deal on it - great! (Just don't pay extra if you don't have to :) ) All the difference is, they got extra holes in them to get the thru coolant to spots that the flood coolant might not cover all that well.

I often see flood coolant running at the same time as through coolant when those types of tools are being used anyhow.

Its ok for most milling applications. There may be specific instances that might suggest running with no coolant due to "thermal shock" to the tooling. Though this machine is new to you, you could always try to directly consult with the manufacturer to confirm.

I'm getting a new-to-me VMC. I don't think it has a through coolant spindle. I think it only has a flood coolant system. Are there any concerns or issues with running a through coolant face mill with just a flood coolant system? It's CAT40 3" 90 degree indexable face mill that can use APET, APKT, or APMT inserts.
Only problem i ever had was in a iron foundry machine shop. the guys never pulled, cleaned and then put them away after a job. The grey iron would get in the ports and set up like concrete. then when you put the tool in a TSC mill get everything touched off and are ready to go, Guess what, no coolant. This happened mostly with insert drills but still a pain.

for anything that powders or is really fine when cut, just blow them out every now and them and you'll be fine.

Back