What's new
What's new

Is Ross the only one running Bluetooth on his FPNC machines?

rimcanyon

Diamond
Ross has posted several times about running bluetooth for rs232 communications on his FP4NC. I think he has been doing it for 15 years now, way ahead of the crowd. So has anyone else got it working? If so, details would be of interest, as always.

Dave:
I no longer use the blue tooth setup.
Ram into a tech issue that ended its use.
Problem was that the blue tooth software only allowed use on LPT2 which worked fine, but the software
For my DNC (Beetz) would not connect
On any port except Com1.
That program is no longer supported and I was never able to solve the issue.

Currently I am running with a cable that I connect when I need to send a file.
Cheers Ross

I've looked in to this (would love to have less cords!) and decided it's not worth the potential file transfer errors.
Various users report it seems to work fine until one day, for no apparent reason, you end up losing a critical command in a program or have some data error, and you get a crash. Believe that if you spend $$$$ for a real industrial bluetooth set up like Phoenix Contact, the odds are better, but it's not worth the expense and risk.

I'm using a Shoplink USB stick to serial port device on my Dialog 4. Shoplink also has a Bluetooth device, If it works as well as the USB device it should do fine. Jerry at Highland is very helpful and responsive.

Too bad it is that hard. I would think that a solution like Ross used would be available.
I'm using a Shoplink USB stick to serial port device on my Dialog 4. Shoplink also has a Bluetooth device, If it works as well as the USB device it should do fine. Jerry at Highland is very helpful and responsive.
Mud, thanks for the suggestion, will do some investigating. What do you have at the other end, a pc or a Mac, with a usb port or a usb c port?

Win7 and Win10 machines. Not sure on the exact version of USB, I didn't think it mattered.

One thing about the device with the D4 - His instructions are to insert the stick, choose the directory via the selector on the front of the device, THEN turn the power on. Due to some peculiarirty of the D4 port, I need to turn the power on, THEN switch to the directory I want to load from. Dialog is not the only machine that requires this, but I've forgotten the explanation why. I sent Jerry my cheatsheet of the procedure on the Deckel, I think he'll be able to address it with you on the Bluetooth device if you want to go that way.
I also have a cable strung that I used to use, it's been abandoned since I got the USB installed.

I like the USB because I can upload and download all i want, then walk to the office with the stick instead of running back and forth in the event of an error. I can put up to 10 programs on the stick at one time.

He sends a wall wart to power the device, I connected it to 24VDC inside the console to avoid having another wire dangling around.

I have these on 2 machines, zero problems.

OK, I am following you now. There is no serial port connection needed on the PC, just an ability to read the usb stick. Nice solution.

OK, I am following you now. There is no serial port connection needed on the PC, just an ability to read the usb stick. Nice solution.
Sorry that wasn't clear. Seems too simple, eh? I've reverted back to sneakernet.
There are other devices that do the same thing, some with more features and LCD screens etc. I've been buying from Highland since the BTR days, his stuff is dead reliable and he doesn't laugh at me for having 30+ year old machines

RS-232 and bluetooth are not difficult to work with, but I don't think it's appropriate for this use.

I suggest using a serial to ethernet device. There are many on the market. I think I've used Lantronix in the past.

So I have come full circle.
Wireless is cool, not sure it’s best in an industrial shop setting especially of there are other sources of interference like HF from a TIG machine doing aluminum.
Plain cable is low tech and dead reliable. Most single user shops don’t have needs to manage multiple machines or span large distances.
Simple cable connected to the control when needing to transfer a file of easy reliable cheap and simple.
Concentrate on the higher level needs, this has already been sorted and just works.
Getting a true 3D tool path to work to give the desired shape/ profile trumps going “techy “ file transfer buzz.

Cheers Ross

Back