What's new
What's new

Is there a standard rotation direction for a 4th axis?

atex57

Stainless
Title says most of it. My 4th is mounted to the right side of the table. Which way, facing the chuck, should the chuck turn for plus on the degree count?

Ed.

rotary direction is always from the back of the rotary looking out. On a horizontal with the rotary mounted flat on the table, picture yourself lying on the floor looking up. On your machine, stick your head in the right door and look left.

There is no "Standard", but more often than not, A+ is counter clockwise.

As far as standard conventions go for a right handed coordinate system, the rotary moves the workpiece from the tools perspective.
so for the configuration you have, commanding +90 degrees moves the rotary 90 deg counter clockwise looking at the face plate, from the tools perspective relative to the workpeice it has moved +90 deg.

As Larry has said, looking form the back of the rotary this give + as a clockwise direction.

Fanuc parameters explain it as, "standing at the negative side looking in the positive direction, which way is plus?" Usually, and all of our machines are this way, plus direction is counterclockwise.

Fanuc parameters explain it as, "standing at the negative side looking in the positive direction, which way is plus?" Usually, and all of our machines are this way, plus direction is counterclockwise.

Took me a couple of tries before figuring this out trying to mill on our twin-spindle machines...

Right hand rule, curl your fingers, stick out your thumb in the plus axis. Fingers indicate positive rotation.

Reactions: aj
A couple responses seem to be at odds, I may not have explained it properly.

This is a VMC, open the door and the 4th is on the right, the tailstock is on the left. Should the top of the chuck rotate toward the door or toward the column?

If the 4th were a conventional lathe the operator would be on the column side. Does that make any sense?

Thanks, Ed.

A couple responses seem to be at odds, I may not have explained it properly.

This is a VMC, open the door and the 4th is on the right, the tailstock is on the left. Should the top of the chuck rotate toward the door or toward the column?

If the 4th were a conventional lathe the operator would be on the column side. Does that make any sense?

Thanks, Ed.
You explained it ok. When you say which way should it rotate, do you mean when moving +?
The default for a Haas would be toward the door.
This, however, is not set in stone. You can change parameters to make anything move whichever way you want. But, like I said before, whether its Cw or CCW, you vew it from the rear of the rotary looking through the chuck

Back