What's new
What's new

Is there a way to clean the inside of the oil level sight glass on the front of the ram of a 1950s FP 1?

hrf

Aluminum
Inside of this sight glass is coated with layers of old crud that make it hard to see the oil level behind it.
If best to replace it, where would any be available?
Thanks!

Inside of this sight glass is coated with layers of old crud that make it hard to see the oil level behind it.
(1) Use the "Search" function at the top of this page.
(2) Type "Deckel FP1 oil sight glass" into the field
(3) Hit "enter"
You will be rewarded with exact part numbers from Kipp and Elesa.
Cheers,
Bruce

Yep, replacement.
Frantz Singer is your go to.....
Think there might be push in glasses that use "O" rings to seal that will fit on that.
Measure the opening as best you can and inquire about a proper replacement before removing (destroying) the original.

Cheers Ross

almost impossible to remove in one piece
I did make my own a couple of times from a 10mm thick piece of polycarbonate with a o-ring
Faceturn a piece of stock Glue some felt or simular on the stock and a small disk Then clamp the poly with a live centre and the tailstock between stock and disk
Turn to size and make the groove for the o-ring Gently

Peter

Thanks!
almost impossible to remove in one piece
I did make my own a couple of times from a 10mm thick piece of polycarbonate with a o-ring
Faceturn a piece of stock Glue some felt or simular on the stock and a small disk Then clamp the poly with a live centre and the tailstock between stock and disk
Turn to size and make the groove for the o-ring Gently

Peter
Thank you very much for that, Peter; happy to know it can be done…would prefer the replacement to be flush with the face of the ram like the original one

I don’t know about your vintage FP1 but I have removed and cleaned the site glass from my later machine.
The glass is only held in by the rubber o’ring seal with a shoulder to prevent it going too far.

I used a piece material long enough to get a grip on and turned the end to the diameter of the site glass. Clean and apply heavy duty double sided adhesive tape. Clean the site glass with thinners or alcohol so it’s squeaky clean and apply the tool. Wiggle the tool to loosen the glass and remove, you may have to try this a couple of times if the glass is really gummed in.

One problem with cleaning the old glass is removing the inner white star shaped disk, this is pushed in and is concave in shape to secure and impossible to remove without breaking. You can spot a small hole (obviously not through) and fill with a red paint for a marker if required.

As Peter has pointed out you can make replacements out of a clear material and polish the outer face so it's crystal clear. I did this on my Mikron and it worked ok.

Attachments

• DSC_0006-1.JPG
    DSC_0006-1.JPG
    433.5 KB · Views: 11
I don’t know about your vintage FP1 but I have removed and cleaned the site glass from my later machine.
The glass is only held in by the rubber o’ring seal with a shoulder to prevent it going too far.

I used a piece material long enough to get a grip on and turned the end to the diameter of the site glass. Clean and apply heavy duty double sided adhesive tape. Clean the site glass with thinners or alcohol so it’s squeaky clean and apply the tool. Wiggle the tool to loosen the glass and remove, you may have to try this a couple of times if the glass is really gummed in.

One problem with cleaning the old glass is removing the inner white star shaped disk, this is pushed in and is concave in shape to secure and impossible to remove without breaking. You can spot a small hole (obviously not through) and fill with a red paint for a marker if required.

As Peter has pointed out you can make replacements out of a clear material and polish the outer face so it's crystal clear. I did this on my Mikron and it worked ok.
If you make it out of 10mm sheet that is clear polisched already
And I would stronly advice not to use thinner to clean the sight glass
That stuff is too agresive and dulls the glass possibly

Peter

If you make it out of 10mm sheet that is clear polisched already
And I would stronly advice not to use thinner to clean the sight glass
That stuff is too agresive and dulls the glass possibly

Peter
I am not suggesting soaking the glass in thinners to clean it.
Simply wipe the face so the double sided tape sticks really well.
Hot soapy water should be enough to clean the internals.
In the unlikely event of any clouding it can be polished with tooth paste or car color restorer.
I would think after 60-70 years in an oily environment they probably need re polishing anyway.

Adrian.

Last edited:
Reactions: hrf

Back