What's new
What's new

Is there any interest in "old stock" U.S. made Nicholson files?

pntr815

Plastic
I recently bought a lathe from a terrific gent here in Philadelphia. He has a ton of his father's old stuff that he's been going through. His dad was a machinist at a Nicholson factory that I think was located here in in the area many moons ago. Is there any interest in what I think may be boxes of old Nicholson Made In The USA files? He told me he also has a lot of the steel blanks of those same file profiles. Any interest? I personally feel those old Nicholsons were some of the best ever made. Much better than contemporary stuff from Mexico or wherever else and the steel from those original files may be really great stuff to work with if you're a tool maker.

Maybe not so much for this particular thread, but that importance of decent thread titles is in fact much more important that the people who don't or won't follow the clear rules about it seem to think. It allows any searches to narrow down and pick up what threads happen to match the search terms. Searching for information about Nicholson files sure isn't going to bring up something titled Is there any interest?

Thread titles are absolutely important for anyone using the search function, let alone for anyone deciding whether or not to click on your thread and read it.

Per the Guidelines:

===================================
TOPIC TITLES NEED TO BE DESCRIPTIVE

The worst topic titles are things like-

1. Please Help !
2. Hey everybody, look at this !

But even more specific titles like-

1. Need info on D31
2. G53

Are meaningless or nearly so to many, so will be locked as meaningless. My theories on the reasons for meaningless titles are-

1. The "surprise" aspect... open the package to find out
2. Laziness
3. Shyness (newbies are especially prone to meaningless topic titles)

Bottom line is we need members to simply tell us in advance enough info to at least get a hint of what the topic is about.

This for two reasons-

1. Many of us are in a hurry and don't have time to open posts we then find out are of no interest

2. Search engines concentrate on topic titles more so than content, so with proper title your topic is more likely to be found by others with similar issues later.

I will fix this one for you, as well as moving the thread to a more suitable section. Next time you post without a suitable thread title I will lock the thread instead, as has been the practice around here for a very long time.

Thread titles are absolutely important for anyone using the search function, let alone for anyone deciding whether or not to click on your thread and read it.

Per the Guidelines:

I will fix this one for you, as well as moving the thread to a more suitable section. Next time you post without a suitable thread title I will lock the thread instead, as has been the practice around here for a very long time.
He has been a member for almost a decade...therefore he should at least have some idea of how the site operates, unlike a new person with a poor first post.

He has been a member for almost a decade...therefore he should at least have some idea of how the site operates, unlike a new person with a poor first post.

That's true, but with 33 posts in 10 years, I'll cut him a bit of slack, just this once. Besides that, he's trying to help others get some nice files. If I didn't just pick up a motherlode of NOS Disston files I might apply for a few myself.

Interest, I think, will depend on more details.

Single, or double cut. What size files (Length). What cut are they (ie:Smooth, Fine, Medium, Bastard, Coarse). What style.

Totally with trevj, was just going to ask the same info. But the short answer is "Yes. Not many people use files extensively these days, but those who do are interested."
If all you have is 12" horse rasps, I'll pass. But flat, mill, and pillar files of 4" to 10" length, in smooth or 2nd cut, either single or double cut? Yeah, tell us more about what you have.

That's true, but with 33 posts in 10 years, I'll cut him a bit of slack, just this once. Besides that, he's trying to help others get some nice files. If I didn't just pick up a motherlode of NOS Disston files I might apply for a few myself.
Same here. A friend who retired as a steamfitter gave me a 5 gallon bucket full of a treasure trove of NOS USA made files that included specials for aluminum, etc.

I recently bought a lathe from a terrific gent here in Philadelphia. He has a ton of his father's old stuff that he's been going through. His dad was a machinist at a Nicholson factory that I think was located here in in the area many moons ago. Is there any interest in what I think may be boxes of old Nicholson Made In The USA files? He told me he also has a lot of the steel blanks of those same file profiles. Any interest? I personally feel those old Nicholsons were some of the best ever made. Much better than contemporary stuff from Mexico or wherever else and the steel from those original files may be really great stuff to work with if you're a tool maker.
I am interested. Details, please.

Back