What's new
What's new

Is this a South Bend Speed Reducer Gearbox?

Frank R

Stainless
I just noticed this lathe for sale locally. I was wondering if the round item is an original South Bend? I seem to recall seeing these things in pictures but I cannot recall where.

The lathe is a 1931 and the previous owner used it for gunsmithing.

Are these reducers sought after?

lathe gear reducer.jpg

Frank:

What you have in your photo is a very interesting shop-made adaptation on a South Bend Model B lathe. I do not think the reduction gearbox was ever a South Bend option or accessory. It has its output shaft coming out both side of the gearbox, so may well have been a gearbox specific to some other piece of machinery or equipment. The previous owner did a lot of shop-made adaptation, adding a clutch (most likely worked by the lever with the wooden handle on the lower LH end of the lathe), and adding a tensioning idler for the flat belt drive. The countershaft sits on support brackets that may well have been shop made from flat steel bar, and the rod to throw the clutch in and out is mounted on these brackets as well. There is a 'rag joint" (canvas/rubber) coupling between the output of the gearbox and the countershaft, and the gearbox sits up on what look like pipe spacers. The motor is coupled to the gearbox with a rubber flex coupling of a type most commonly found on older home oil burner 'guns'. The fact the drive appears to be put together out of odd parts and shop fabricated steel has me thinking the previous owner was a tinkerer who had his own ideas for improvements on the basic South Bend 9" lathe.

Looking at the gear train between the stud gear & lead screw, it looks like the previous owner did some modifications there as well. Possibly some modifications on the apron and to the cross slide saddle.

It is an interesting little lathe, for sure. Had this lathe been located anywhere near NY City, I'd say the deceased gunsmith was a frequent visitor to the old Canal Street surplus/junk stores. The kind of parts and way the lathe was modified speaks of someone who had a creative mind, access to some good pickings (aka: old machinery parts, scrap steel, and assorted 'junk'), and had time on his hands.

As the saying goes, "Dead men tell no tales", so we will never know why the previous owner felt compelled to modify the lathe as he did. Seems a lot of work to put into a very basic lathe with no gain or improvement in the lathe itself. No disrespect to South Bend owners or the 9" lathe (I own and use a South Bend heavy 10"and light 10-K lathe in my own shop), but a 9" South Bend lathe was never much of a lathe to start with. OK for small/light work and a forgiving machine that countless students used in shop classes, but that's about it. Maybe the lathe was modified for some kind of production run during WWII, hence the handlever clutch. With a handlever operated collet drawbar and that handlever operated clutch, a person could do some kind of light production machining on that lathe.

As for the late gunsmith, I'd be more inclined to think that he would be going for accuracy in the lathe, and would have rescraped ways and dovetails sooner than built up something of a "Rube Goldberg" drive. Interesting little lathe and I can smell the distinct smells of the old surplus/junk stores and see those stores in my mind on Canal Street in NYC as I write this.

The apron on that machine was created out of a "B" model apron. But there are many modifications there. Also the wipers that were created for the cross-slide suggest the owner was particular about his machine. The halfnuts lever, the feed clutch, the traverse handwheel are all non-standard. More strangely, there's a pecular boss cast into the front of the apron above the traverse handwheel. It's possible the apron was re-purposed from a different machine. Possible it was a casting project for the original owner. Another possibility is, this really was a model C lathe, converter to with the new apron. I think the model C machines did not have a keyway on the leadscrew - this one does - which would mean either a new leadscrew or possibly the key was cut by the owner?

I would be very interested to 'look under the hood' on that lathe.

It's possible the apron was re-purposed from a different machine.
I think that's correct. The carriage on my model A overhangs the apron by a bit; the apron on this one is slightly larger
Also the wipers that were created for the cross-slide suggest the owner was particular about his machine.
I noticed that. I really like that idea. I might do that when I restore mine.
Steve

I talked to the previous owner on the phone and he sent over more pictures and included the accessories. It looks like a power drive and an indexer. The indexer screws onto the spindle I was told. I was wondering if this could have been used for inside rifling?320556849_6215446378473633_2911891017750151403_n.jpg

The photos make this lathe even more interesting. The enlarged photo of the bevel gear mechanism may well be showing a means of providing forward & reverse spindle rotation at the throwing of a handlever. If the lathe were setup for rifling, having the ability to reverse rotation and back the rifling head out of the barrel by way of a 'shift on the fly' mechanism would make sense.

On the other hand, looking at the change gear set, the biggest gear is stamped 127. This was a shop-made change gear, given how the hub is pinned into the web of the gear with screws. A 127 tooth gear is used when cutting metric thread pitches on a lathe built for cutting threads with pitches in 'threads per inch'. The previous owner, being a gunsmith, may well have been using the lathe for cutting metric threads. A common need for this among gunsmiths is to cut threads on barrels to fit actions with metric threads.

The index attachment and driveshaft for it are a whole other subject to figure out. The drive is much like a 'relieving attachment' used on some toolroom lathes for relieving cutters, taps, reamers and other cutting tools being turned in the lathe. The index head (which is more of a 'dividing head') differs from what a relieving attachment would have used. This brings the subject of rifling into the picture. When a milling machine is setup for milling helical gears or worms, a driveshaft and gearing connect the table (X axis) feed screw to the dividing head. The process of rifling a barrel is the cutting of helices (plural of helix ?) that run the length of the barrel and are divided into the required number of grooves around the bore of the barrel. The dividing head and extension driveshaft might well have been used with gearing to the lead screw in the same manner as is used for milling a helix or worm. The dividing head's index plate would be used to space the grooves of the rifling, and the geared mechanism connecting the dividing head to the lead screw would generate the spiral or 'long helix' for each groove.

The only sticking point in this theory is the lathe's bed length and small size of headstock spindle bore. A lathe used for barrel work (at least for rifle barrels) would have a longer bed, and often a larger bore thru the headstock spindle. I would say it is almost a certainty that the lathe was able to be setup to cut metric threads. I am no gunsmith, having worked on my own firearms and barrelled a few ex-military rifle actions years ago. The whole job of making a rifled barrel from scratch has intrigued me as I often wondered how a rifling head was made to rifle small caliber barrels. While I would not rule out this lathe having been used for cutting rifling in barrels, unless the barrels were for pistols, I think the bed would be too short. The purpose of the dividing head and driveshaft remain to be figured out.

The last photos depict a slightly modified spiral attachment that was originally made for a Rivett 608.

The seller of these items bought a whole shop from the daughter of the previous owner. It included another lathe and a Bridgeport. The dividing head could have been used on the Bridgeport, right?

I believe Ironmadman nailed it when he identified the 'dividing head' as originally being part of a spiral attachment for a Rivett machine tool. There is no obvious way that the dividing head could have been used on the Bridgeport. No means to mount it to the table of the milling machine, no projecting spindle to take a chuck, faceplate or catch plate (used with dogs when work is supported between centers on the dividing head and foot stock).

I'd be curious as to whether the internal thread in the dividing head matches the spindle nose thread on the South Bend 9" lathe, and whether the driveshaft/pinion makes up to the change gears on the lathe as well as to that dividing head.

Whoever the original owner was, they were a fine toolmaker as well as quite a mechanical designer, able to work out gear ratios and mechanisms to get the lathe to do something way beyond its original design. It is unfortunate that the shop contents got broken up, as possibly some further clues as 'what went with what' might have been seen. The original owner obviously put a lot of time and thought as well as fine work into what he did with the 9" lathe and its modifications. Whatever he was doing required being able to reverse the lathe's rotation rapidly. On that score, given that 127 tooth gear, my guess is he was cutting metric threads. When cutting metric threads on a lathe with a lead screw cut with 'threads per inch', it is necessary to engage the half nuts on the same 'point' on the chasing dial each time. The alternative is to back out the threading tool and reverse the lathe at the end of each pass. Having the bevel gear set plus forward and reverse clutches, as well as a handlever in close reach of the lathe apron would make this quite easy to do.

The bigger enigma is the modifications to the 'banjo' gears (or pick-off gears) and the driveshaft and index or dividing head. Another clue may be to waiting in the ratio of that gear reducer. If the reduction is a lot deeper than the normal belted countershaft provided, it might be that the original owner was needing the lathe spindle to run at very slow speeds (combining the reduction in that gearbox + slowest flat belt speed + reduction thru back gears). This would let the lathe be used for something like rifling, turning a barrel very slowly while the dividing head and driveshaft turned the rifling head thru a portion of a turn to make the spiral grooving. Interesting to imagine and whatever the original owner had been doing, he put quite a bit of ingenuity and math to work in the design of it.

Once you do get her hooked up to juice, I for one, would LOVE to see a video of that beautiful "powertrain" in action.

Frank R

Thank you for starting this thread. I have never seen a South Bend lathe so heavily modified. It reminds me of the kind of additional tooling you'd see on an old Rivett lathe, where they had equipment for doing all sorts of toolroom and similar complex work.

The fact the lathe has loose change gears vs a quick change gearbox may put a lot of potential buyers off. The fact it is an "old" lathe rather than some shiny new import with a geared headstock and all the bells and whistles may also put a lot of hobby shop lathe buyers off this one. After the Holiday season, when people have flatter wallets, the little lathe may become available for a more reasonable price.

As Dundeeshopnut correctly states, a video of this little lathe in operation (assuming you do purchase it) would be great. Figuring out the riddle of the dividing head/driveshaft as it was used on this little lathe is something I'd hope would one day happen. A new thought for the possible purpose of that dividing head/driveshaft might have been to generate 'wedge cam' surfaces on rifle bolts. I.E., rather than s bolt with regular square-face locking lugs, possibly this lathe was being used to generate 'wedge cam' surfaces (I am no gunsmith, but I seem to recall some high powered rifle actions used multiple locking lugs on the bolts and had a 'wedge cam' profile to them) on bolts and receivers.

I have a lot of respect for the little South Bend lathes. Simple, basic, kind of light, and definitely an obsolete design, but an incredibly popular little lathe. As has oft been said, countless numbers of students got their first exposure to machine shop work on a 9" South Bend lathe. These little lathes were in widespread use in all sorts of businesses, and were perhaps the most prolific and enduring design of lathe. I wear a pocket watch with a case machined from solid stainless steel stock. The case was made by an oldtime toolmaker in our area. He had "retired' about 1972, and had bought himself a new Bridgeport as his 'retirement gift'. He setup a small shop in his house, and had a 9" South Bend bench lathe, Sanford surface grinder, DoAll band saw, an 'original' Craftsman US made drill press, a belt sander and a pedestal grinder. His work mainly consisted of making fixtures for grinding prisms used in some kind of medical lasers. The little South Bend lathe this guy had was a gem. Whether he bought it new or used I never learned. He had taken the lathe apart and rescraped anything he needed to bring the lathe into what he considered toolroom accuracy. Every angle plate, rotary table or other piece of tooling was either made by this guy or had been bought new and then checked and 'scraped in' by him.

He did some very close tolerance work in his little shop, working until he was about 92, and dying within a few weeks of 'laying down his working tools'. Unfortunately, this oldtimer was a crusty character and disposed of his shop contents in a weird way. He called the firm for whom he'd been making fixturing and simply said: come clean out my shop. Considering this firm was a modern manufacturer of some kind of medical imaging or laser equipment, they likely had no real use for his shop contents. My watch case was made by that oldtimer, and he cut a very fine pitch/short distance of thread on the case as well as on the bezel (which holds the crystal) and the back of the watch. Did it on the little 9" lathe. He used to boast that no one but him had ever 'made any chips' on the Bridgeport, and no one but him ever touched or operated any of the other machine tools in his shop. I suspect the deceased gunsmith who owned and modified the lathe in this thread was similar to the oldtimer in my neck of the woods. Did some amazing work on a lathe many people would not even consider as a viable machine tool in today's world. That oldtimer never had digital readout, let alone CNC equipment. He had a habit of calling me in the wee hours of the morning, rousing my wife and I from sleep. My wife would pick up the phone, fearing bad news (which often comes in phone calls in the dead of night or wee hours). A voice as gravelly and sounding much like Oscar the Grouch would come out of the phone. It was the oldtimer needing to talk to me to ask a question. He'd never apologize for waking us (I had to be up at 0500 to start my work days), and would simply rasp out: "What's the sine of 27 degrees, 32 minutes, and 6 seconds" (or somesuch odd angle down to the last degree). I'd turn on the bedside lamp, get a calculator and convert the minutes and seconds of arc into decimals of a degree and get him the sine of it. He would rasp out: "How did you do it so quick ? That is the answer I got." I'd explain using the calculator. The old buzzard would say: "I used logarithms" and then hang up the phone. No thanking me, no good-bye, just 'click' as he hung up the phone. He worked in the wee hours of the mornings because his home was near an otherwise busy two lane back road with curves and rough pavement. He claimed the jarring from heavy trucks on the road affected his work, as he was working to that close a tolerance. He and his wife were childless, so no family members to pass anything, either as knowledge or in the form of tools and machinery, along to.

This oldtimer did tell me he never hesitated to help other machinists and toolmakers when he was employed in working shops. He did have some very strong and good principals and ethics despite his blunt ways. One piece of wisdom he gave me was his definitions of being a success. He asked me what I thought a successful person was. I deferred to him, knowing whatever answer I gave, he'd disagree with. He told me his definition of success: "Being able to tell the boss to go f--k himself and having a better job before lunch time." He claimed this was the case with his own career, and that having a solid and highly skilled trade put him in that position.
Seeing the work he was doing in his little 'retirement shop' with basic machine tools left no doubt as to that point.

The oldtimer who made my watch case was a tough old buzzard. He called 9 of us in the area whom he knew to be either machinists or railroaders. He had a hobby of working on Hamilton 992 railroad pocket watches. He called us to say he was making ten stainless steel watch cases for the Hamilton 992 pocket watches, and was giving each of us an opportunity to buy one. He said he'd give us each the case if we bought the 'works' (movement) for a 992 Hamilton watch. He'd go thru the movement to service it and install it in the watch case. In those days (1992, I think it was), I paid 300 bucks and have been wearing that Hamilton watch ever since.

I know I would have liked to have met the gunsmith/toolmaker who designed and modified that little 9" lathe. Whoever he was, and no matter whatever else he might have been, he was a very gifted and skilled person with a fine mind to have dreamed up and built that little lathe into what it now is.

Back