What's new
What's new

Is this Adjustable Angle Plate ( Precise 10" x 15" SKU: 202-169 ID: 347297 ) worth it?

Rough-cutter

Plastic
Im sure someone has already covered this so forgive me for not being able to find it. I have some parts that require strange counter bores and embosses that are 10deg angled from rest of the part and it is on a large 10" X 17 " plate. I think I could clamp it to this and just over hang. What do we think before I ask the boss to buy me one.

Question: Is this Adjustable Angle Plate ( Precise 10" x 15" SKU: 202-169 ID: 347297 ) worth it? https://www.penntoolco.com/precise-10-x-15-adjustable-angle-plate-202-169/
2023-11-29 09_36_05-Window.png

My dad bought one 30 years ago. It's the 5 x 7 size. I haven't yet used it. Not too sure where I put it here in the shop. May have sprouted legs and walked off as far as I know.

Awesome. Thank you for the MSC link. Not so much the price but my buying agent at our company was giving me trouble because Penn Tool Co. was not set up as a preferred vendor in our system. Apparently it is almost impossible to buy anything from anyone not on our vendor list. And for a company buy. eBay is definitely a no go.

Already talked to the boss and for once $600 purchase seems good with him. I guess I have an actual project use case for it. Although I know I will use it again. Even with my 3 axis CNC. Some times it would be faster just to angle the part rather than do a 3d slope with ball end mill.

Thanks again.

Is it worth the asking price? Not in my world. I purchased a few items from a local used equipment dealer earlier this year. He threw in a 7”x10” one just to get it out of the warehouse. I’ve had it going on 10 months and have only used it once.

Those 10 x 15 tilt tables probably all come from China or India. I bought my slightly smaller version in 1975 from Enco, when such goods came from Japan. It proved ideal for making gibs.

Penn tilt table with crank: $600
Penn tilt table (no crank) $400
MSC tilt table (no crank) $461
Shars tilt table with crank $219

MSC is not cheaper than Penn on the published prices, but maybe there is a discount available for preferred customers.

Larry

"discount for preferred customers". I am thinking that is why my company is so animate about buying from proffered vendor list. They track how much we spend with everyone and I bet they get some sort of deal for spending so much $ with them.

Yes I also agree this is "Tiwaneese" iffy quality. And a tool that might only get used a few times a year. But we have some strange designs that should be assemblies that they want milled out of solid aluminum. For any error in the set up. I am thinking a proper sine bar. A good dial test indicator and some machinist know how. Should ensure accuracy of any angle.

As far as the crank. I think I will get the one with out the crank and see how it works. I could always make my own or use a wrench?

I also agree maybe not worth even $500 but company $$ and if it gets the job done right. It is much cheaper than getting a 4th axis or buying a 5 axis mill.

I bought an Enco years ago. Meh.
There are bolts at each end to loosen and tighten
The table doesn’t track along the arc end-to-end, so not only are you trying to adjust the angle you’re also trying to get the top platen straight.

It worked good enough for what I needed. I looked for it today. I must have thrown it out.

The MSC linked table is out of stock, and made in India. Never yet have I seen any tool worth having that was made there,

Pretty much. I 'needed' something like that 20+ years back, was bored, made patterns, had the castings done, machined them. 16" x 6" platen area which not coincidentally was the travel on my horizontal mill at the time. I drilled & tapped a grid of M10 threaded holes instead of T slots.

The table gets used about once or twice a year, mainly on the horizontal mill. It's worth its keep once you have one. But mine is actually accurate WRT its tilt function and locks up square. An Indian made one? Good luck...

PDW

I cant show the part I need to make. But here is a quick mock up of the tough angle features I need to make. The parts are much more complex. I just modeled the key angled features.

2023-11-30 14_01_20-Window.png2023-11-30 14_02_05-Window.png
2023-11-30 14_06_40-Window.png2023-11-30 14_07_03-Window.png

Is this a vise job? For one job, couldn't you make a set of angled soft jaws to drop into the vise?

or these?

Edit: I see the dimensions in your original post. Hmmm. I'd probably still consider making tapered shims or jaws of some kind to go on the table.

Now you do know that once you tip to that angle you cant finish the floor to cylinder corners sharp correct?
I know this was a simplified drawing, i usually ask for the largest radii possible at the transition.

actually most of what I get now has a compound angle, not just one.

Now you do know that once you tip to that angle you cant finish the floor to cylinder corners sharp correct?
I know this was a simplified drawing, i usually ask for the largest radii possible at the transition.

actually most of what I get now has a compound angle, not just one.
So I am making both the angled pins and angled counterbores. These will mate together. So I was thinking I could tilt the pins after milling what I can to create the angle. And come in with a ball end mill or something to clean up what I can. and on the counterbores I can put a generous chafer so it wont interfere with the fillet.

So I am making both the angled pins and angled counterbores. These will mate together. So I was thinking I could tilt the pins after milling what I can to create the angle. And come in with a ball end mill or something to clean up what I can. and on the counterbores I can put a generous chafer so it wont interfere with the fillet.
Are the pins and plate one single piece of material, or separate parts put together?
my bad after looking they are separate, correct?

I get suff like this but it needs to be 1 piece, and has compound angle on the plate.

maybe something like this? (crude model I know). This is a one off and luckily I am able to fudge a few things along as the plate is still 10 deg tilt.
2023-11-30 16_21_59-Autodesk Fusion 360 (Expiring in 2 days).png

Back