What's new
What's new

Is this "air receiver" from NASA? WTF?

huleo

Hot Rolled
So.... we have an old "air receiver" (so we thought) at a property and were going to sell, but this is getting odd. The tank is around 2500gal, the outside is certainly steel, but the inside spins this in a totally different way! This tank is decades old, and someone spent their life with those welds! The inside, or anything that would contact the contents, is SS plate, approx .250-.375" thick by what I can tell. Multiple heavy flange connection points. The ID plate is too damaged to get enough data for firm ID.

Anyone see such a critter? I can only think this was a steam tank but that's all I got. I just can't get over all the welds. This is like 5 miles of weld, and no clue how they would do the liner other than put someone inside it because the outside is not welded like this.

Attachments

• 20240208_152849.jpg
    20240208_152849.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 179
They use a machine to run those beads, probably electro slag as opposed to mma or tig,
I’ve seen a tank welder on the outside but the could stick the head up a 10’ pipe
Mark

Without being able to see the internal structure of that vessel wall I would say it is either a reaction vessel or holding vessel from a petrochemical plant. Very unlikely it ever held a product for human consumption as there are so many potential nooks and crannies in all those welds. Whatever the original purpose it must have cost a fortune and then some to the original user. Many years ago (about 40 to be exact) my job was to find leaks in such vessels... very tiny microscopic leaks. We used helium and a proprietary process for detecting the leaks using a mass spectrometer.

One of the questions being raised is the highest and best sales value. there is a huge difference in SS scrap prices but I am not even sure how you would reclaim the SS in such a vessel.

One of the questions being raised is the highest and best sales value. there is a huge difference in SS scrap prices but I am not even sure how you would reclaim the SS in such a vessel.
They would run it through one of those big choppers/shredder, come out in pieces about 6" square. Just right for the furnace.

Back