What's new
What's new

ISO by the foot metal supplier in Bay Area

Alonsorobots

Plastic
Hi all!

Super new the forum and glad to be here!

I’m building a second gen belt grinder by Jer Schmidt and was wondering if you have any recommendations for buying by the foot (non 20’ stock) from metal suppliers in the Bay Area (more specifically I live in Berkeley). I’m looking for general project materials like plate, bar, tube, sheet metal, etc

I would love to find the most economic option, and I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that if I can save on shipping by going local, it will save some money.

The three options I’ve explored so far are:

Online suppliers - onlinemetals.com, midweststeelsupply.com, etc ( a bit expensive)

HomeDepo / Lowes (super expensive)

Local metal suppliers- I’ve tried Albany Steel, and Bay Metals, but they only sell by 20’

Any other options that people would recommend??

Thanks so much!!

Alonso

Keep looking local, there are bound to be some smaller suppliers who will have drop racks that they'll sell by the pound.

Also useful to check salvage yards. You can't order off a list, but per pound prices on aluminum and steel can't be beat. Not a good choice if you need specific material, but fine for general project stuff.

Many smaller suppliers may give you one or two free cuts, so consider buying a couple of 20 ft pieces and get it cut into manageable sizes. You'll always need stock for some project.

I'm in Portland, but I get UPS delivery next day (normal rate, not next day service) from Online Metals in Seattle. They should be able to do 2 day delivery to LA. That may widen your options, even if you do find a local supplier for common alloys&sizes.

Back