What's new
What's new

ISO- Used Toolroom Lathe

MillCobbler633

Plastic
This is my first post here, I’m looking for a small toolroom lathe to fool around with. Mind you I am just a hobby machinist so I’m trying not to break the bank. Any help is appreciated. Budget < 2K

Last edited:
Here is some advice..........save your money. Do not buy a used lathe until you are experienced. The machine is less than 50% of your real required investment. You will need tools, chucks, tool grinder, steady rest, follower rest, collets etc. It's a big investment and as a beginner, you do not know enough to handle the problems a worn machine will give you. Save up your money and buy a good accurate lathe. One more point........please define your expectations for a TOOL ROOM LATHE. That term is the abused term in this industry!

Here is some advice..........save your money. Do not buy a used lathe until you are experienced. The machine is less than 50% of your real required investment. You will need tools, chucks, tool grinder, steady rest, follower rest, collets etc. It's a big investment and as a beginner, you do not know enough to handle the problems a worn machine will give you. Save up your money and buy a good accurate lathe. One more point........please define your expectations for a TOOL ROOM LATHE. That term is the abused term in this industry!
Usually you can find all that in a package deal. My first lathe was a South Bend 9", and it came with everything under the sun. If you keep an eye out and cash in hand, you can usually pick up a package deal for far less than you would buying it piece meal. $2k will be hard to swing for a "real" lathe and tooling, but they are out there.

Looking for small precision lathe 4.5-14” swing and around a 24-36” bed. Not looking to rough-turn locomotive cranks lol. Looking for something in the same class as a Wade, Smart & Brown, ect. I’d be willing to go to 3k if that’d broaden the market.

Last edited:
Another bit of unsolicited advice; Bigger is less expensive and may be in better condition. Larger machines are less expensive because they are difficult to move and take up more space. My daily driver is a mid 30s 14" swing x 30" between centers gear head reed prentice. It is much larger than the typical hobby lathes and at about 4000 lb, much more rigid. It holds tight tolerances, has a slow spindle optimized for HSS tooling and cost me $850. I've seen many lathes for sale with comperable footprint and work envelope for sale for 4-5 times that price and i wouldn't trade my machine for any of them.

Looking for small precision lathe 4.5-14” swing and around a 24-36” bed. Not looking to rough-turn locomotive cranks lol. Looking for something in the same class as a Wade, Smart & Brown, ect. I’d be willing to go to 3k if that’d broaden the market.
More money to spend always broadens the market.

Maybe save your money a bit longer. I got a decently tooled 10EE for 3400. If you are a newbie it really helps to find a buddy that is savvy about such things as used lathes. One thing for certain, unless you plan on an extensive rebuild run away from scored ways.

You can find something but with a budget you just gotta be patient and persistent.

Maybe save your money a bit longer. I got a decently tooled 10EE for 3400. If you are a newbie it really helps to find a buddy that is savvy about such things as used lathes. One thing for certain, unless you plan on an extensive rebuild run away from scored ways.

You can find something but with a budget you just gotta be patient and persistent.

At any rate, patience is a good thing. If you get in a rush you might grab something that isn't in great shape just because "it's something." Sometimes that's fine too, I've done it. Just be aware of it.

Back