What's new
What's new

It's time for another Mastercam rant

Wire CAM peaked at PEPs 4.2, spent years using that, did everything I ever needed it to do. We did upgrade eventually ending at 7 i think was it, before it was bought by Vero.
I never used PEPs, but I feel the same way about Esprit circa 2000-ish for wire. I used that same version up until a couple years ago at a job shop with 18 wires. until I left the company.

Where I'm at now I'm using BobCAD for my wires. And I gotta say, I don't hate it. Someone earlier in the thread said software always gets worse when marketing is put in charge, and I think the inverse is also true. Feels like BobCAD really pulled back on all their sales bullshit and has some decent software, especially for the price point. If I was doing more complicated milling stuff I might think differently, but that's not an issue for me.

I never used PEPs, but I feel the same way about Esprit circa 2000-ish for wire. I used that same version up until a couple years ago at a job shop with 18 wires. until I left the company.

Where I'm at now I'm using BobCAD for my wires. And I gotta say, I don't hate it. Someone earlier in the thread said software always gets worse when marketing is put in charge, and I think the inverse is also true. Feels like BobCAD really pulled back on all their sales bullshit and has some decent software, especially for the price point. If I was doing more complicated milling stuff I might think differently, but that's not an issue for me.
Sometimes the wheel doesn't need reinventing.

I moved to a company that had Teksoft wire in 2002ish and that was terrible, the support was poor, we couldn't get the post to work without edits. I always felt I was fighting it and things would take a lot longer than if I just used PEPs. In the end I found a seat for sale, bought my own copy and used that at work.

Back