What's new
What's new

It's time for another Mastercam rant

Great to see Marcus in a state of rightful indignation and high dudgeon, with a healthy dose of umbrage and wishing to speak to the manager. It's a sign he's not ready to retire any time soon. I actually have a side profession in MasterCAM emotional support therapy, where the shop calls me in my office, almost every day, to vent about MasterCAM being incredibly obscure and how they've spent two hours to get something seemingly simple to work. On that note, Mastercam, and I'm talking MCam 2021 here, also tends to crash. There's a few suggestions the VARs have about turning off update notifications or whatnot (that you have to do every time), which possibly helps but it crashes anyway. We have a new theory though, that possibly it doesn't like MCam files that were made on older versions of the software. The observation has been that the crashes mostly happen with parts that have been through a few iterations and may been first made up to a decade ago. I should probably ask this in the eMasterCAM forums but would be curious to hear if anyone has thought about this. Anyway, Marcus, I have just made a latte in a logo-ed mug given to me by the CurvaFix corporation, the technology of which you should recall, so I raise it and toast to your good health!

We have a new theory though, that possibly it doesn't like MCam files that were made on older versions of the software.
It's the memory leak that is crashing it. The best solution is to restart Mastercam every couple of hours to flush it.
2022 is much better at handling the leak.

Wrote a program 4 weeks ago and two weeks ago upgrade my camworks on a new computer. The old one was working too hard to render and simulate toolpath. Then last week all of a sudden one program lost all it toolpath. For some reason it was gone. I believe the problem was that my solidworks turned the assembly to lightweight when I loaded it onto the new computer which then can strip out the programming portion. Now silly me I hit save instead of closing out the file. Had I just closed out the file and not hit save I would only have to go into the solidwork settings and change the increase the file size for assemblies and then reload the program with the programming portion. I think it is time for a Camworks rant thread.

PS, later on that day I went home and kicked the dog.

Be nice to see Practical Machinist create some sub categories similar to what CNC Zone has to organize the different CAD/CAM systems under CAD/CAM category.

I've never had that happen to me but I did just go make sure my 'Load component lightweight' wasn't selected!

Be nice to see Practical Machinist create some sub categories similar to what CNC Zone has to organize the different CAD/CAM systems under CAD/CAM category.

I've never had that happen to me but I did just go make sure my 'Load component lightweight' wasn't selected!

Nothing CNC Zone does should be copied. Splitting up boards just leads to them being used less and less. Want proof just look at the individual machine manufacturer sections. Only 3-4 of them see any regular use the rest are barely touched.

Nothing CNC Zone does should be copied. Splitting up boards just leads to them being used less and less. Want proof just look at the individual machine manufacturer sections. Only 3-4 of them see any regular use the rest are barely touched.

It's organized, easy to find relevant topics to the user when looking for a specific subject. If there's a machine manufacturer or CAD/CAM company category that gets minimal forum traffic what harm is done?

Yea you can do a search but if you search a basic keyword it pulls any and every thread that mentions that keyword, so if someone comes on this MasterCam rant thread and mentions another CAM company that you search this thread pulls up as well as every other thread its mentioned it.

We have a new theory though, that possibly it doesn't like MCam files that were made on older versions of the software.

It's the memory leak that is crashing it. The best solution is to restart Mastercam every couple of hours to flush it.
2022 is much better at handling the leak.

Every so often I notice my CAM software slowing down, my VAR told me to clear my TEMP folder, I do it every couple weeks and it seems to help.

Maybe its something you are already doing or know, if not, I'll copy and paste the steps sent to me (below) for anyone that doesn't know how.

Another way is to run CCleaner.

Temporary files delete

1. Close everything (all running apps) on your computer.

2. Go to the start button and click it. In the run box type %temp% and press enter. This will open your user temporary directory.

3. Select the first item then scroll to the bottom and hold the ‘shift’ key and click the last item.

4. Right click on the highlighted items and with the shift key held down select delete.

5. A warning will appear stating it cannot delete some items select the check box ‘do this for all items of this type’ and press skip.

6. Reboot your computer.

I must be on an island with SmartCAM, I find it to the best for customizing the code.
I never hear it brought up in any discussions.

I must be on an island with SmartCAM, I find it to the best for customizing the code.
I never hear it brought up in any discussions.

Been using smartCAM since V13.5

It is funny to see CAM software brag about things they are do that I did in that late 90's.

LOL, probably nothing really.

offsets on both sides of a groove tool and have them change automatically, parameters in dialog boxes, call custom code in a post from in the program with user elements etc.....

To be honest I don't know how long all of these features have been in there.

I can say I feel for the time SmartCAM was way ahead of its time. I have yet to find a CAM system for turning that is as powerful. With that said it has a cost in that it is not that automated either.

LOL, probably nothing really.

offsets on both sides of a groove tool and have them change automatically, parameters in dialog boxes, call custom code in a post from in the program with user elements etc.....

To be honest I don't know how long all of these features have been in there.

I can say I feel for the time SmartCAM was way ahead of its time. I have yet to find a CAM system for turning that is as powerful. With that said it has a cost in that it is not that automated either.

I can do all that within CAMWorks, I think part of the problem is a lot of people don't customize their post to allow for a lot more control and hand edit stuff in that can easily be placed in dialog boxes to allow for custom codes with selectable options, etc. Over the as an employee I watched many other programmers hand edit stuff, it drove me nuts, if there was ever a code that I wasn't able to post out directly from my software, I edited or had my post edited so it could be.

I can do all that within CAMWorks, I think part of the problem is a lot of people don't customize their post to allow for a lot more control and hand edit stuff in that can easily be placed in dialog boxes to allow for custom codes with selectable options, etc.

Agreed.
And I'll go one further, I'm willing to bet that 95%+ of the people that hate on Mastercam and other systems don't take the time to set their defaults and setup the interface to how they want it.
Mastercam has a shit ton of defaults to set for your own liking, and that alone makes it 1000x more efficient than just using it straight out of the box.

I can do all that within CAMWorks, I think part of the problem is a lot of people don't customize their post to allow for a lot more control and hand edit stuff in that can easily be placed in dialog boxes to allow for custom codes with selectable options, etc. Over the as an employee I watched many other programmers hand edit stuff, it drove me nuts, if there was ever a code that I wasn't able to post out directly from my software, I edited or had my post edited so it could be.

Thats cool. I briefly used CAMWorks many years ago and did not remember those options. Or likely did not spend enough time in it to discover them.

So while cutting a groove camworks will automatically change offsets if it cuts with the front edge vs back edge?

I only ask because I use SW and would like an integrated cam but my first go around with CAM Works was not so good.

Agreed.
And I'll go one further, I'm willing to bet that 95%+ of the people that hate on Mastercam and other systems don't take the time to set their defaults and setup the interface to how they want it.
Mastercam has a shit ton of defaults to set for your own liking, and that alone makes it 1000x more efficient than just using it straight out of the box.

100%, I'm not a MasterCam user, honestly it wasn't just wasn't for me. I use CAMWorks that really pushes its Automatic Feature Recognition and TechDB capabilities to define defaults with a lot of options and power behind it. 99% of the complaints I come across is people complaining it doesn't work. Well no, day 1, its not going be perfect. No software can come out of the gates with the perfect settings for every programmer. That takes time.

Like you said, them defaults you set to your own liking makes it 1000x more efficient, with any software.

A lot of programmers take a job and make do with what they have and aren't willing to invest the extra time in making something better for themselves.

Thats cool. I briefly used CAMWorks many years ago and did not remember those options. Or likely did not spend enough time in it to discover them.

So while cutting a groove camworks will automatically change offsets if it cuts with the front edge vs back edge?

I only ask because I use SW and would like an integrated cam but my first go around with CAM Works was not so good.

I don’t edit my post anymore, my VAR “maintains” my post, I negotiated in 3 “custom” posts when I bought my seat, so as long as I continue my annual maintenance they’ll edit my post as needed at no additional cost. When I come across something I need added I submit it back to them and I typically get it back within a couple hours.

I don’t do turning myself but worked at a place years ago and one of the turning guys wanted to try CAMWorks turning to see if he could program a combination thread/groove tool that he wanted it to change offsets based on which side he was using, I don’t recall if it was a basic setting or if he ended up having the post edited but he was able to get it to do what he wanted.

A big thing for me being I don’t save my NC files, if I get a repeat job a year later or however long, I like to open the model and review the program, stock, WCS, simulate the program and verify it, post out the code and I know that’s what he was looking for too and if your posted code needs hand editing, if that job comes back down the road I’ll more than likely forget what I hand edited, unless of course I put in notes but to me that’s non sense, you should be able to post the code and go.

I would have to look but if you are up to date on your SolidWorks maintenance SW comes with SolidWorksCAM, which is powered by CAMWorks, it’s essentially CAMWorks basic modules rebranded, I’m not sure if it includes turning, I know milling is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t edit my post anymore, my VAR “maintains” my post, I negotiated in 3 “custom” posts when I bought my seat, so as long as I continue my annual maintenance they’ll edit my post as needed at no additional cost. When I come across something I need added I submit it back to them and I typically get it back within a couple hours.

I don’t do turning myself but worked at a place years ago and one of the turning guys wanted to try CAMWorks turning to see if he could program a combination thread/groove tool that he wanted it to change offsets based on which side he was using, I don’t recall if it was a basic setting or if he ended up having the post edited but he was able to get it to do what he wanted.

A big thing for me being I don’t save my NC files, if I get a repeat job a year later or however long, I like to open the model and review the program, stock, WCS, simulate the program and verify it, post out the code and I know that’s what he was looking for too and if your posted code needs hand editing, if that job comes back down the road I’ll more than likely forget what I hand edited, unless of course I put in notes but to me that’s non sense, you should be able to post the code and go.

I would have to look but if you are up to date on your SolidWorks maintenance SW comes with SolidWorksCAM, which is powered by CAMWorks, it’s essentially CAMWorks basic modules rebranded, I’m not sure if it includes turning, I know milling is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. I don't believe turning is included in the free version. I run very similar and repost all code and verify on each order. I know there are those that don't but I do it to refresh my memory of what to expect at the machine.

We maintain our own post. One thing am adamant about is no hand edits period. My memory is not good enough to remember what they were if I were ever to repost. We have been fortunate that between SmartCAM and HSMWorks and the work we do hand edits were not necessary.

I may be crazy but 8K for wire seems insane. Then on top of that, having to pay the Mastercam service maintenance fees. Must be incredibly great software.

I may be crazy but 8K for wire seems insane. Then on top of that, having to pay the Mastercam service maintenance fees. Must be incredibly great software.

You don't HAVE to pay it, but if you want the newest stuff and versions then yes paying it is something you'd want to do.
If you just have wire, I don't see a reason to pay the maintenance fee as I don't think it's changed much. I could be wrong though.
Also if you just have wire, the fee will be much,much less than someone who has the full blown version of Mastercam.

Back