What's new
What's new

J-Line / Logon 8” Shaper belt replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

swarf-sweeper

Plastic
Hi all,
I’m all set to begin refurbishing an 8” shaper and have a question or two for the experts here. This shaper is a J-Line made by Brodhead-Garrett. It’s essentially a Logon 8” shaper with a few minor improvements such as the externally mounted grease zerk for lubricating the vari drive. It has an intermittent rattle that comes and goes depending on the speed of the ram. I’ve read the variable speed drive mechanism is usually the culprit but also that old v-belts can also cause it. At this point I want to first try replacing the two belts to see if this resolves the problem. This leads me to my first question. How in the blazes do you remove the belts? It seems the variable drive and shaft doesn’t provide enough room between it and the base wall to pull the belts off? Do I have to drop the entire mechanism from the unit? I have both the J-Line and Logon shaper operation manuals and they are quite lacking on maintenance procedures. My second question how does one disassemble the variable drive for inspection? It’s a little cramped looking up through the access hole and makes troubleshooting difficult.

Has anybody rebuilt a Logon shaper and have tips they can share?

Thank you,

Dan

Shapers are generally not discussed here except in the antique machinery section. I know they can do intricate work that is hard to do with any other machine but them is the rules. I hope they move this thread to the antique machinery section and you get your answer there.

Shapers are generally not discussed here except in the antique machinery section. I know they can do intricate work that is hard to do with any other machine but them is the rules. I hope they move this thread to the antique machinery section and you get your answer there.

Wow. It’s a machine tool, I’m quite surprised by your comment. My lathe and mill are older than this shaper.

Yeah,
I know. I owned a basket case shaper once. I gave it away before finishing it. Sometimes I wish I finished it and still had it.

I did not make the rules here, but I do appreciate what is discussed.

In case you do not know where the antique machinery section is 2 divisions down just above the gunsmithing section.
I am old and have a South Bend lathe that is older than me, but lathes are still in use today and not something that sits in the corner of a commercial machine shop that mostly collects dust. A wise person can see both sides of an issue.

Not everyone here is concerned with how commercial shops operate. My shaper and machine tools reside in my own home shop. Believe or not, not everyone is out there trying to make a buck from this trade. My career took me away from this trade years ago but my love of metal working has stayed with me. A wise person can indeed see both sides of the equation.

Successfully replaced the belts on the J-Line Shaper. It requires some disassembly of the variable speed drive components. Should somebody in the future require assistance with this task, feel free to hit me up.

Cheers

Dan

Not everyone here is concerned with how commercial shops operate. My shaper and machine tools reside in my own home shop. Believe or not, not everyone is out there trying to make a buck from this trade. My career took me away from this trade years ago but my love of metal working has stayed with me. A wise person can indeed see both sides of the equation.

Please just try following the rules eh ?

Nice, I'm glad you feel the need to attack me personally. You've been reported for the very thing you accuse me of -- Not following the rules. You see, you can't come on here and call people insulting names and feel vinified by it. But if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy, I'm glad I was here for you.

I'm removing this Topic since it was never responded to with any meaningful assistance, only tattle tale commenters who have nothing better to offer than pointing out a concern with where a post was placed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back