What's new
What's new

Jacobs Chucks - Worth the price of repair?

Dannno

Plastic
I have a couple of 18N Super chucks that are getting out of range (even for a drill chuck). A quick online search appears as though the price of a repair kit is just a few dollars shy of the price of a chuck. I've rebuilt chucks in the past, but don't ever recall gasping at the price of a repair kit before.

Is there a source that sells the repair kits for a reasonable price in relation to the cost of a chuck or have chucks basically become a consumable item?

Looks like a new 18N Jacobs is around $350 if you shop around a bit. Repair kits range from $270 to $330 depending on who has them in stock. I was actually just flipping through some tool catalogs looking at alternative chucks.

As far as I know production moved offshore several years ago and quality suffered? I remember a few threads on here about it? If a new chuck is that close to a repair kit why repair the old one> Maybe look at other brands since they are all probably chinese now?

Years ago, I got a big Jacobs ball bearing chuck (18N?) on eBay that did not hold a drill bit true. I put a rebuild kit on it.. Then I found it was no better than before with the new jaws and stuff. I decided the holes for the jaws in the body were worn. So don't buy a kit unless you are sure the jaws are the problem and the body is OK

And then Jacobs became a Chinese brand.

I think Accupro is made in Spain and may be a better choice now.

Larry

Looks like there are several competitive brands out there at a decent prices. Over the years, if a chuck was worth buying it had the "Jacobs" signature on it. These two have served me well, but both are giving up their accuracy. Looking around the interwebs, it appears Llambrich are equivalent and well made in Spain. Looking also at some Japanese made chucks. Open to suggestions. Overall, I guess if I get a few years out of them the Jacobs aren't so expensive.

I have a Rohm drill chuck from Germany that's pretty nice. Came in a box of stuff, so I'm not sure about pricing.

Edit: I'm not sure they make a ball bearing chuck either. Why did I post?

Years ago, I got a big Jacobs ball bearing chuck (18N?) on eBay that did not hold a drill bit true. I put a rebuild kit on it.. Then I found it was no better than before with the new jaws and stuff. I decided the holes for the jaws in the body were worn. So don't buy a kit unless you are sure the jaws are the problem and the body is OK

Llambrich - JK-130 5/8 JK Solid High Torque/High Precision Keyless Drill Chuck with integrated Solid 5/8" Straight Shank, 1-7/8" Chuck Diameter, 1/32" - 1/2" Capacity: Cutting Tool Holders: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

All Jacobs chucks for the last few years at least have been made in China. The quality is not good. You can buy the same chuck made in the same Chinese factory as the Jacobs ones with out the Jacobs name on it for 1/4 of the price in many places.

About two years ago I bought one of their "precision" chucks that I assumed was still made for them by llambrich in Spain. What I received was overpriced Chinese junk. It was sent back and I found a new llambrich on Ebay for less than the cost of the Chinese one.

That's about where I'm at. Seems by the time you put the time and money into a repair kit, you've passed the price of a new chuck. I'll give Accupro a look, as well as Llambrich.

I bought some Accupro ones for the fab shop to use in their radial drill a few years ago and they were garbage. Maybe they're made in Spain, but they're Chinese quality.

I don't know if anyone is really making good quality keyed chucks anymore.

You can get high quality keyless readily from a number of places, and there's really few reasons to want a keyed chuck these days. If you don't like keyless chucks for whatever reason then you probably just haven't ever used a good one.

Maybe 30 odd years back a 5/8" capacity Chinese Golden Goose branded chuck came with a new large mid + range hobbyist bench-top mill. Initially ignored as being most likely of (non)quality commensurate with the name, on being forced into using it I found it actually rather good and dead nuts accurate. When the mill departed to an owner more likely to accept its shortcomings the Golden Goose stayed behind and my "worst" (but still quite reasonable) Jacobs went with it.

I suspect durability of the Golden Goose isn't up to full on industrial standards but, if still made at that level, a perfectly acceptable choice. Especially if, like me and many other folk, keyless chucks are the day to day workhorses.

In the onesie-twosie, modification and repair manual machine tool world that I inhabit keyed chucks remain indispensable for those jobs where its either unsafe or impractical to maintain the end loading needed to keep a keyless chuck properly tight.

My common ones include:-

Producing tapped holes with the Bridgeport. Easier by far to drill then swop for a tap in the keyed chuck before moving on to the next hole position than going round with the drill them swopping in the tapping head. Half the time it seems the job needs to be moved on the table to do all the holes which makes going round with the drill first just that much more inconvenient.

Using hole saws. My keyless chucks don't like the standard hex drive end of the saw carrier and tend to slip endwise.

Sorting out of round holes or drilling on imperfect surfaces where careful feed is needed to get a true start. The combination of vibration and insufficient endload means a keyless has little chance of holding. If need be a keyed chuck will hold an endmill just fine to produce a true surface to start on. (Who's a naughty boy then!).

Clive

I'm not sure what all repair components you're looking for, but McMaster has a "service kit" for $202.00. I also have several Golden Goose chucks that have served me well. The oldest is going on 45 years old and is still accurate. That being said all Golden Goose chucks are not created equal. The originals were made in Taiwan. The name and logo (pelican) was engraved in the body, and they came in a black and red box.

The original manufacturer quit making them some years ago because the market was being flooded with counterfeits. The counterfeits while closely resembling the originals were poorly made and had a high failure rate. Rather than deal with having to explain to customers that they purchased a counterfeit they quit making keyed chucks. The original manufacturer still makes keyless chucks.

Here's a link to an original style Golden Goose chuck:
Golden Goose Super Ball Bearing Chuck 290 -1515 with Key NEW JT3 | eBay

Here's a link to a more recent version:
Golden Goose 16BB J3 Drill Chuck CAP. 16 - m/m. Taper & Sleeve Adapt (L2020403) | eBay

Several years ago I bought a keyless chuck from Shars. I figured it would be a POS, but the job I bought it for didn't require precision, I just wanted to change drills & taps quick. You guessed it, the chuck works good and is accurate! An allbrect knockoff.

I got an Albrecht a couple years ago, very happy with it. Their accuracy claims are good.

I do have a couple of Jacobs chucks tho for when I need a tight grip on something like a holesaw, etc.

I have a Rohm drill chuck from Germany that's pretty nice. Came in a box of stuff, so I'm not sure about pricing.

Edit: I'm not sure they make a ball bearing chuck either. Why did I post?

Rhom does (or did) make ball bearing chucks. I have a Rohm BB20-R4 that works well.

Rohm Ball Bearing Geared Key Drill Chuck With S13 Key, 3/16"-3/4" Capacity - BB20-4 - 63-301-722 - Penn Tool Co., Inc

BB20-4 Ball Bearing Heavy Duty Keyed Drill Chuck for Industrial Use, J4 Mount, Rohm 215002, S13 Key: Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement

Back