What's new
What's new

JACOBS PortoMatic Keyless Chucks, any good? Anyone have any experience with them?

mr_macgee

Plastic
JACOBS PortoMatic Keyless Chucks, are they any good? Anyone have any real experience with them?

I'm a die hard Albrecht user but a friend of mine gave me a Jacobs Portomatic 1/2" 500 chuck that he never used, before I buy a shank for it and start using it on projects I was wondering if anyone has had experience with these? They look old school and heavy, there is almost no info about them on the internet. There Jacobs so I would like think there good? runout and holding strength.

Thanks

Pic is not my chuck
36977548250_5868e57eb1_b.jpg

Wow old post. Just stumbled on it. I have the smaller version 1/4" and it holds bits dead true and tight tight tight. Those older Jacobs chucks were really amazing and the Portomatic is no exception. Don

You can read about Jacobs Portomatic Keyless Chucks in Volume 67, Issue 26 of American Machinist, Shop Equipment News, Pages 1030-1031 : https://books.google.com/books?id=u...30#v=onepage&q=jacobs portomatic good&f=false .

This was written in 1927! Also, these appear not to be intended for lathes, they were used on portable drills per the description.

I am curious what runout could get down to after restoration and if they would be suitable for a lathe tailstock. I have no doubt they were well made.

Back