What's new
What's new

Jet Boat Impeller/housing Repair

I would bore the housing to clean up and make parallel. does not need to be perfect, a few smallish groves won't hurt anything but the closer to perfect the better. After that the impeller needs to be welded up and turned to to fit the housing. The impeller tip clearance should probably be in the order of .010 per side or less.
Thats the way I would handle the job. I haven't done a huge number of jet repairs over the years but probably 15 to 20. All were larger than this, 13" to 18" diameter. 350hp to 500hp diesels. The impeller housings I work on have a two layer uhmw and stainless steel liner for corrosion protection in salt water that can be replaced so you only have to turn the impeller.

Be sure to contact the manufacturer and find their spec for the tip clearance. It will be surprisingly tight and the jet won't pump if it is out of spec.

They are popular for ski boats in northern california. Bikini-clad bimbo and an outboard ? That's a flat no. You need enough chrome to poison an entire village and a radio that'll wake the dead or they'll laugh you right off the lake.
You'll have to shift your paradigm to understand this more better.

Try Ozark, gap tooth, muffin top cutoffs and you are getting close.

Kind of OT, I had a 91 or so Yamaha waverunner. The jet had a stainless sleeve inside an aluminum casting that would corrode on the AL/SS interface and the corrosion would push the thin stainless sleeve into the impeller, jamming it!

Kind of OT, I had a 91 or so Yamaha waverunner. The jet had a stainless sleeve inside an aluminum casting that would corrode on the AL/SS interface and the corrosion would push the thin stainless sleeve into the impeller, jamming it!
That sucks! Not great engineering!

Like my 2007 Dodge Ram aluminum steering knuckle with steel wheel bearing hub. That hub was locked in there tighter than tight. Somebody's ears somewhere should have been burning cause I sure cussed them long, loud, and hard!

Back