What's new
What's new

Jet Lathe Tailstock issue.

jeffie_3

Aluminum
We have a Jet Lathe 14 x 40 here at work. The tail stock stopped working. Took it apart and there is a tapered hole in the acme nut and a matching hole in the cylinder of the tailstock. I don't know what goes into the tapered hole. I have an old Richmond lathe it uses a hard ball in places like that. Does any know what goes in there so I can get it fixed?

Thank you,
Jeff

Attachments

• tailstock 1.jpg
    tailstock 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • tailstock 2.jpg
    tailstock 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
Maybe one of these:

1102k91polished-steelpositive_front_positive_right_washer_1596207841_991@3x_637317866966063015.png

If that's what you're missing, measure the hole diameter and order from McMaster or wherever. If the hole is all buggered, set up the T/S spindle in the mill and make it cylindrical again. If they don't have an oiler for the size that cleans up, bush the hole. Just make sure that your hole isn't fed from oilers on top of or in the side of the tailstock first. It may need to be open.

It's not an oil hole, it's likely for a steel pin that's been sheared right before it 'stopped working.' Measure the hole and turn a CRS pin to press in place. Who overloaded the TS ram - using it as a press?

Seems odd that there would be just one little pin securing the nut to the ram, but I guess it would be ok if the nut shoulders/keys inside the ram for 'push'. Are there other holes?

If that is a nut in which a pin secures it into the ram,
the countersink in the nut will assure a wide shear
plane, and cause the pin to shear very easily.
You usually want a tight shear plane for max strength.

-Doozer

I can't see that being a locking pin with that big chamfer on there. My Taiwanese 1440 uses screws to hold the tailstock spindle nut in. Also, if it was a sheared pin, where is the damage to the hole, or the sheared pin halves that should be stuck in the holes?

Is the hole through the tailstock spindle threaded?

I can't see that being a locking pin with that big chamfer on there. My Taiwanese 1440 uses screws to hold the tailstock spindle nut in. Also, if it was a sheared pin, where is the damage to the hole, or the sheared pin halves that should be stuck in the holes?

Is the hole through the tailstock spindle threaded?
Yes there is a hole in the nut. In photo 2

Back