What's new
What's new

Job Opportunities in Greenfield, MA

FamilyTradition

Aluminum
Hey folks, the shop I work at is looking for someone to take my place so I can move into a different position within the shop. It seems to be the same old trend lately of not being able to get people in the door, so I talked to the boss today and he was okay with me making a post here, to get the word out and hopefully help move things along.

It is at the Kennametal plant in Greenfield, Massachusetts, formerly Greenfield Tap and Die Plant #2 (and before that the Wells Bros. Company, who originally built on the site in 1890.)

It is a second shift position (3pm to 11pm) running thread grinding machines for HSS taps. The group of machines you will be working on runs custom taps of all sizes, and the larger sizes of standard taps. So you will be routinely working with stuff as small as 0-80, all the way up to 2" pipe taps. You'll be working with a variety of styles and configurations of taps. It is one of the more interesting production jobs in the shop, in my opinion.

If that particular job is not quite a good fit for you, there are other positions available within the shop. Depending on timing and necessity for me to start on my new position, I could very well be the guy that trains you (oops - shouldn't have said that, now nobody will apply! 😁 )

Pay for thread grinding is $26.02/hr ($25.02 base + $1.00 shift differential). Benefits include 401k, health/vision/dental insurance, 2 weeks PTO, 11 paid holidays (although the shop is typically open and they typically ask us to work, so the option is there), 4 paid sick days, safety toe+slip resistant shoes paid for by the company. Probably others that I am missing.

Overall, it is a good and steady job.

If you are interested and would like the boss' contact info, please send me a message here on PM and I will get that to you. He will be able to get you the "official" job description and set up for an interview.

Last edited:
We are also now looking to fill two positions for machine operators to set up and run CNC Swiss and conventional bar-feed lathes. There is a second shift (3pm-11pm) and a third shift (11pm-7am). Both positions are Monday thru Friday, with opportunities for weekend overtime.

These positions are running lathes for making HSS tap blanks - materials you will be working with are various grades of tool steel.

This is a wonderful opportunity to participate in the tap industry in Greenfield - this year marks 150 years since the Wiley and Russell Company began producing taps and adjustable dies in Greenfield, and 110 years since they merged with the Wells Brothers Co. to become the Greenfield Tap and Die Corporation. We are continuing this tradition in the very same facility that was one of the original GTD plants.

Base pay is $25.02/hr, with shift differentials of $1.00/hr for second shift, and $1.25/hr for third shift. See original post for all benefits - we have excellent health, dental, and vision insurance, as well as 401k retirement plan, sick leave, and more.

If you are interested, feel free to send me a message here on the forum for management's contact info. They can get you official job descriptions and set up for an interview.

Thanks again.

Unfortunately no manual surface grinder jobs open for michiganbuck, but we are looking for someone to fill a "Utility/Plant Operations" position. Might be a long shot on a forum of machinists, but still an important part of the crew at our plant.

This position consists of primarily janitorial and other support duties around the plant. You will be responsible for maintaining cleanliness in the facility, refilling hydraulic oil dispensers throughout the plant, removing excess oil from chips and rags, miscellaneous material handling and movement around the plant, as well as other duties that involve maintaining clean and safe workspaces for all employees.

This position pays $20.12/hr. All the same benefits as other positions I have posted: health insurance, 401k, vacation time, sick leave, safety shoes and glasses, among others.

Feel free to reach out to me anytime for more information or to get you connected with plant management, who can get you set up with an interview.

Hope you all are keeping warm, we are feeling the cold here in New England.

Regards,
Matt

It is at the Kennametal plant in Greenfield, Massachusetts, formerly Greenfield Tap and Die.
By getting a few years at such a well-known name shop..you will become a candidate for some of the very best shops... and get paid to build your credentials.

My dad bought out the tool crib at the other pant in Greenfield almost 30 years ago. I still have cam sets for tap blanks here for my Brownies.

If you guys are looking to sub out work, I am only 30 min away and am sure I can be of service somehow. My machines love roughing out blanks in qty.

Hey folks, hopefully you all are warming up and enjoying the first glimpse of spring wherever you are.

If you are looking for a fresh start this spring, and you are in the Western Mass/ or Southern VT/NH area, we are having a job fair at the Kennametal plant at 34 Sanderson Street in Greenfield, Mass this Wednesday, March 22nd, from 10AM to 4PM.

We will be offering interviews on the spot, so come on down and see if you would be a good fit! We have a variety of positions open, mostly 2nd and 3rd shift machine operator positions. (I believe there is a first shift position open in either the Shipping or Inspection departments, but I will have to look at the poster again tomorrow morning to confirm that). Always worth making a trip over to see if there is a position that would fit!

The majority of these positions start between $24-25/hr. These are full-time Monday-Friday, with a $1.00 differential for 2nd shift (3-11pm), and $1.25 differential for 3rd shift (11pm-7am), as well as opportunities for overtime as needed.

We offer very good health/vision/dental coverage, 2 weeks PTO + 4 "personal" days, paid holidays, 401k, and the company pays for slip-resistant, safety-toe shoes, as well as an allowance for prescription safety glasses, if you need them.

As I have previously mentioned in this thread, we recently celebrated the 150th anniversary of the Wiley and Russell Mfg. company, which later became part of the Greenfield Tap and Die Corp. - our particular plant has been here for over 120 years now, originally the site of the Wells Brothers company. We are looking forward to adding a few more to our team to continue the tradition!

Thanks again for any interest, take care!

Back