What's new
What's new

Jones & Shipman 540 Grinder Questions

Hoping I can get some help finding new wheel adapters. My 540 is a 1969 model no 72248, SN 1848/166. Based on the voltage tag it was originally a UK or European model for 380/440 50Hz power I assume. The adapter on it has two adjustable balance weights and has a shroud for the spindle. The adapter that Sopko recommended, PN 00200 will only allow for about 1 thread of engagement on the spindle nut, so it's obviously too thick. So my questions are, is my spindle the UK type or the US type? Does anyone know the proper Sopko PN or perhaps the J&S PN? And while I'm at it, the spindle nut measures out to be a 1/2-16 LH nut. Is this nut available or will I be making one? Thanks.

Jones & Shipman 540 Grinder Questions

Does anyone know the proper Sopko PN or perhaps the J&S PN?

The European JS 540 machines have a 15 degree included angle. The US ones have a 3 inch per foot taper, corresponding to 14.25 degrees included angle. (I had this wrong earlier, but corrected it.) So first figure out which taper angle your machine has. (My understanding from looking at their online catalog is that Sopko can provide either one.)

You can see some more details in this post and others in that thread: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...n-540-grinder-325584-post2844284/#post2844284

If yours is a 15-degree taper machine, you can buy used 1 1/4" hubs on Ebay UK for 40-60 pounds. New ones cost 110 pounds from Jubilee:
540 Wheel Arbor MYFORD SPARE PARTS
Andmar also has them but does not list a price on their web site:
! Parts Listing : Andmar
I ended up purchasing a box of used hubs in the UK and having them shipped to me in Germany.

PS: I'll check the retainer nut thread on my machine tomorrow. Jubilee lists these for 15 pounds: 540 -1400-1314 Spindle L.H. Nut

Last edited:
I measured the taper and the math indicates it has an included angle of 14.25 deg. Isn't that the included angle for a 3 inch per foot taper?

I'm expecting a return call from Sopko this AM to rectify the situation.

I'm in USA and have not ordered from any UK suppliers yet. Perhaps its time to do so.

Thanks for the info.

charlie

I measured the taper and the math indicates it has an included angle of 14.25 deg. Isn't that the included angle for a 3 inch per foot taper?

Yes, you're right, it's 2 arctan(1.5"/12") = 2 arctan(0.125) = 14.250032697803595 degrees.

I'm in USA and have not ordered from any UK suppliers yet. Perhaps its time to do so.

But it sounds as if your machine has a US taper, so you should probably look at US suppliers first.

Last edited:
I'd never realized that the US and rest-of-the-world grinders had a different taper. That explains why I had to turn the taper of the balancing arbor I got to make it fit the my wheel adapters :D (it was hardened, but a CBN insert produced a mirror finish).

Regarding the length of the taper and threaded section:

It seems that the majority of the J&S 540 are designed for a wheel thickness of up to about 1/2" = 13mm. But there are exceptions. My 540 APR machine was delivered with special a "heavy duty" spindle (four ball bearings instead of two) and this can take wheels up to 20mm = 3/4" thick. So the "native" flanges are a bit wider than the standard ones and the part of the spindle under the flange is a bit longer than the standard ones. Nevertheless I can use the standard flanges, I just need to add a thick spacer washer under the spindle nut.

I am not sure but I also think that recent versions of the 540 such as the 540X are also able to take thicker wheels. The wheel hubs for these machines might also differ slightly from the earlier standard.

If a handful of us made some careful measurements and drawings of the spindle tapers and threaded sections of our machines, it would be useful to people who are shopping for flanges.

Hi
I'm looking to replace the vertical feedscrew and nut on my 540p any help,pictures advice greatly received

Hi
I'm looking to replace the vertical feedscrew and nut on my 540p any help,pictures advice greatly received

Hi

You are probably being ignored because you have hijacked a thread. I would suggest that you post a new thread in the

machine-reconditioning-scraping-and-inspection forum

Would love a copy of your 540 manual if you have one in pdf.
Thx
Just got a 540 automatic unit with side cabinet.

Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I found my pdf copy of the 540 manual. The bad news is that it has basically zero electrical info.

I shared my docs with Zac. However he had further questions that I wasn't able to answer. I've encouraged him to post here or in the power/motors/VFD forum.

Guys, my new 540 is having an auto feed-down problem. The hydraulics work well. The table moves right and left normally. Cross feed also works. But, if I turn on the feed across, the step down does not work. One thing is working. Or step feed-down or across the movement. Is this normal?

Attachments

• zes.jpg
    zes.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 6
You might need to investigate if your grinder has a plunge auto down-feed. Those are generally set up so that auto down-feed can work on plunge setting only when the cross feed is not engaged. If you engage the cross feed the auto down-feed will automatically be disengaged. It may be as simple as a lever you aren't flipping to the correct place.

Yes, that's exactly what it looks like. Feed-down works differently than larger machines. The plane will not work with feed-down. Maybe I did not understand the grinder completely.
Maybe it's the air bubbles in the tubes that are to blame?

Attachments

• 444.JPG
    444.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 7

Back