What's new
What's new

Junior 8" 308-Y Purchase Advice

Jdlawr03

Plastic
Hi Guys,

I have been looking to purchase a small lathe to make small custom parts for vintage motorcycles, primarily mild steel, stainless and aluminum. It's not something I plan on using everyday, but probably a couple times a month.

I have the opportunity to purchase a Junior 8"x36" (308-Y) South Bend Lathe. The seller is asking $800, and he said everything works as it should.
Lathe (2).jpgLathe (3).jpgLathe (1).jpg

Lathe (7).jpgLathe (4).jpg

I don't have a ton of knowledge about this specific lathe, so I was hoping to get feedback on whether or not this is a good/decent deal.

Thanks,
John

$800? Probably 4 times it's actual worth (if that). There appear to be NO change gears either. I recommend that you pass on this one and look for a more modern model, say from 1941 on.

(Yeah, I said that... A 1941 model is way more modern than this guy.)

$800? Probably 4 times it's actual worth (if that). There appear to be NO change gears either. I recommend that you pass on this one and look for a more modern model, say from 1941 on.

(Yeah, I said that... A 1941 model is way more modern than this guy.)

I see a set of change gears in the pictures but I do agree that you could probably use a more modern machine. I think for motorcycles you may be making a lot of spacers and adapters with a potential need for being able to use a parting tool. To be effective with parting operations you really want a driven crossfeed and this one is going to be fed by hand? Or do I have that wrong?

Not sure about the price, of course that may be negotiable. I wouldn't want to talk you out of it if it's ready to go and you know what you are getting into. What do you think you will be making with this and what range of material diameters do you think you will be using? Do you know what the last guy was using it for? Any chance to get a pallet of material with it that they don't need anymore?

It does look ready to work to me

I dunno, I think it's a reasonable price, looks like it has at least some of the change gears, a milling attachment and other bits'n'pieces. I think that would do pretty much everything that you need it to for the kind of work you describe. The bigger issues are if everything works (back gears, tumbler reverse, half nuts) and that it's not too worn out.

You might offer $500 but if the bed ways are decent and it runs well it is likely with $800.

Good to buy from a guy who ran a machine..rather than a flipper who knows little about it.
Looks like this is a guy who used the machine.

A flipper usually asks top-dollar and expects to take an offer.

I see change gears, mill vise, a jacobs, a tail turret, faceplate, dog, tub of tool bits T wrench, couple of small wrenches, what might be a live center and other do dads..(X)but nit a half nut?

I would want to buy a 4jaw chuck and a steady.

(X) that machine is so top-heavy that a kitten walking past might tip it over.

I wouldn't do it. I think the 8" Junior had a very strange spindle thread and it's just a poor cousin of the 9 Jr which can be a very stout lathe if in good shape.

I think you want something a bit more "mainstream" than that thing if you intend to use it routinely.

Very sound advise above.
If you end up with a lathe in your shop, you'll use it more than you think.
Better to have one that is easier to find parts, attachments and tooling, especially if you need parts for repairs down the road.
If you can wait, a more modern 9" in good shape is a much better choice IMO.
CWC(4)

Back