What's new
What's new

Just got a Hendey Lathe....Need help Identifying

Scott Lister

Plastic
I just got a 12" Hendey gear head lathe which I will be bringing home tomorrow and I need help identifying it. I have looked everywhere for a serial number and cant find one. From the best I can tell this is one of the later models that hendey produced. I measured the length from headstock center to the tailstock center and it is just over 36" in length. This lathe has the 12 speed quick change gear box also. I have looked at many pictures of hendey lathes and most of the later 12" have a cabinet leg and a cast leg under the tailstock end, mine has 2 cast legs and the chip pan does not attach to the legs like most that I have seen. any help would be super! I also need to replace the 63 tooth gear in the selector part of the quick change gear box.

Thanks for the help I will post pics when I get the lathe home.

Scott

Well I got the lathe home and started looking at it closely and noticed that the chip pan is not the original style which is fine. I do believe that it may be an older model, I will get some pics soon as I have been quite busy as of late. One question I have is... What pitch are the gears in the quick change gearbox? My selector gear and pinion have some bad teeth. When I measured them the pitch works out to 17 which I find very odd. I have checked Boston gear and they don't even list 17 pitch gears. Any help would be great guys.

Thanks
Scott

Here is the way to check - is this what was used?

Mic clean burr free (no raised metal) O.D. of gear

Count teeth of gear

Add TWO to that count

Divide sum by O.D.

Example:

2.125 OD
32 teeth
34 divided by 2.125 = 16 DP

Serial, if present, is right end on top of bed stamped into machined cast iron - adjacent the two screws holding up the lead screw bracket - in between two front ways. It will be four or five digits, no letters

Here is the way to check - is this what was used?

Mic clean burr free (no raised metal) O.D. of gear

Count teeth of gear

Add TWO to that count

Divide sum by O.D.

Example:

2.125 OD
32 teeth
34 divided by 2.125 = 16 DP

Serial, if present, is right end on top of bed stamped into machined cast iron - adjacent the two screws holding up the lead screw bracket - in between two front ways. It will be four or five digits, no letters

Yes that is the way I calculated it and it seems odd to have a 17 pitch gear. None of the gear suppliers even list 17 pitch spur gears.

Highly unlikely to have 17 pitch gears - was never a standard

With serial or at least a photo, hendeyman likely will be able to tell you what you have. Serial location in post above

JBoogie
If you google "Lathe Archive" (Tony Griffith's excellent site), and drill down to "Hendey", you will get the whole history of Hendey, in-plant photos during the heydeys of Hendey, and information on very nearly anything Hendey ever built.

Hendey closed their doors somewhere in the early 1950's, when Barber Colman took them over. Under B-C's ownership, Hendey did not last much longer.

Joe Michaels

JBoogie:

I don't have an official closing date for the factory, but according to the Order Books, it must have been no later than the end of
August 1954. Production figures listed for October 1954 are very suspect considering that all of the plant equipment was auctioned off
during October 17, 18 and 19. A total of forty lathes were produced during October, but this would represent orders filled from NOS
lathes. Production figures for June, July, August and September of that year respectively are: 8, 2, 2 and 5. While it is usually
assumed that Barber-Colman bought Hendey, that is not the case. B-C only bought the Hendey Lathe and Shaper line including drawings,
patterns and tooling. Everything else was sold at auction. Again, it is assumed that B-C was involved with Hendey only after they
acquired the Lathe and Shaper line after the factory closed, but there is evidence to the contrary. When corporate raider Frederick
Richman acquired Hendey, he must have had some discussions with B-C concerning acquisition of some of the Hendey product lines because
a price sheet from 1953 has survived with the title Hendey Division of Barber Colman Company, which appears on all price sheets issued
after February 1955. Another sign that things were not as advertised was the change in the company name when Mr. Richman took over.
The Hendey Machine Company became The Hendey Machine Company, Inc in 1952 with Frederick Richman as the only stockholder of any note.
While promising to help the company grow, he did just the opposite, realizing a very large profit by the time the auction was completed. By early February 1955, a meeting was held at the B-C plant in Rockford, Illinois, to determine which of the former Hendey
products would continue to be produced, very few survived. B-C also decided to manufacture a lathe line of its own design. By 1962,
all Hendey lathe and Shapers, as well as all of the B-C lathes, had ceased production. In 1977, all that remained of the Hendey lathe
and shaper line was sold to Aable Machine Tool Rebuilders, a defense contractor, located in National City, California.

Hendeyman

Thank you. Sorry to derail but was curious as to how such a prolific builder just seemed to stop when things must have been going pretty good. They should have had money in the til judging from the amount of Hendeys that show up on this board every week or two. Even the later machines were quite deluxe and anyone you ask who has run or owned one loves them. Did any other builder make more lathes than Hendey? I know Monarch cranked out a lot as well as South Bend. (I also understand they are in entirely different classes of machine tool)

IMO, with no figures to support my thinking, Southbend was likely the most prolific lathe builder. As you note, there is no comparing a Southbend lathe to a Hendey. It goes beyond apples-and-oranges. Other than both being lathes for turning metal and both being US builders, there is no other commonality that I could see.

My thinking is LeBlond may well have led the field in sheer numbers of cone-head and then geared-head engine lathes built. LeBlond lathes are quite common, and while a very good lathe, was never quite so fine a lathe as Hendey. Monarch may have been somewhere behind LeBlond in number of lathes built.

Hendey was more of a high-end lathe. I have run a number of Hendey lathes over the years, and while there is plenty of iron in them, I never thought of them as quite the bear that a Monarch or L & S of equivalent capacity would be. I always felt that for hogging off metal and heavy work, a lathe like an American or L &S was even more of a bear than a LeBlond of that same capacity. LeBlond built some heavy duty lathes and some wide-bed lathes, and offered a heavy-duty line as well. Hendey stuck to one type of lathe, in my opinion. This was a good all-around engine lathe with enough beef for most jobs but still a finer and higher-end machine tool than what you'd really want to use to hog off metal on rough forgings or castings or weldments.

Hendey was a New England builder of machine tools. I do not know the square footage that their plant occupied, but they likely had a much smaller plant than some of the lathe builders out in Cincinnati or that region. The fact that Hendey was also building shapers, and was making their own collets was a clue as to the kind of production their plant had. The Hendey information on Tony Griffith's "Lathe Archive" site also goes into the capacity of the biggest turbo-generator in the Hendey plant's powerhouse. It is maybe 500-600 Kw. Equate this with numbers of production machine tools with 15-20 HP motors and running bridge cranes, and that 500-600 Kw does not equate with a huge plant like some of the midwest lathe builders had.

We used Hendey geared head engine lathes in our junior and senior years in the Mechanical Course at Brooklyn Technical HS. Our teacher, Mr. Almskog, was a tool and die maker who'd returned to his alma mater to teach. He had a real appreciation for the Hendey lathes and explained a lot of the features of them that made them a cut or two above the other lathe builders.

Years later, another fine machinist explained why the Monarch lathes were a cut above, basing his opinion on the fact that Monarch used helical gears and dog clutches in the headstock. He was doing a lot of work on high speed pump bearings, boring babbited bearings in Monarch lathes. His experience with the Monarchs- and these were War Production Board engine lathes, not anything special- was that the helical gears in the headstock did not leave any "tooth marks" in the surface finish when he bored the babbitted bearings.

Another fine man and authority on lathes, the late Robert Yancey, was a proponent of LeBlond lathes for heavy work. Mr. Yancey had been around heavy lathes a long time and had met R.K. LeBlond. Mr. Yancey acquainted me with a number of LeBlond's design features, and we wound up buying two used wide bed LeBlond lathes from him. Different animal entirely than a Hendey lathe, different use for those lathes.

On the other hand, if we were to compare a "square head" LeBlond Regal lathe to a Hendey of equal capacity, I'd say the Hendey was a far better lathe, hands down, based on my own experience.

BTW: At Brooklyn Tech HS, we had almost no Southbend lathes in the entire school's shops. There must have been somewhere near 60 or so engine lathes in the school's machine shop classrooms. Some were ancient overhead drive cone head lathes. Some were geared head lathes from makers like Lodge-and-Shipley, Sidney, Bradford, Reed-and-Prentice, and Hendey. Two shop classrooms had just been modernized when I took my first machine shop classes. These classrooms had just been converted from lineshaft driven machine tools to modern machine tools with individual motor drives. In those classrooms, the engine lathes were the "square head" LeBlond Regal lathes. How many times do HS kids get to run very nearly brand-new engine lathes and other machine tools ? Our teachers, along with the rest of us kids, all regarded Southbend lathes as a kind of "tinkertoy" or "mickey mouse" lathe, not much of a lathe. Of course, when you go back to the 1960's and get a bunch of boys in a technical HS, boys being what they were back then, we all wanted to run the heaviest machine tools. We got to run a variety of engine lathes, but when we got into our junior and senior years, the Hendey geared head lathes were it. Just a finer machine tool all around.

Scott,

Hendeyman offers gears "made to print" for Hendey lathes. I've purchased three gears from him. I found the quality very high and the price was reasonable. He's got access to a large body of surviving Hendey drawings, going back many decades before the closing of the CT factory.

JBoogie,

South Bend was a major supplier to the High School Shop and Trade School markets. Their production numbers are quite high - some schools had literally 36 lathes. (Joe Michaels might chime in on that.) There is, however, no comparison between a South Bend and a Hendey. The Hendey will weigh greater than 50% more in any given size, and exhibit far superior rigidity. South Bend might be said to be a "good, cheap lathe" while a Hendey is like a Cadillac of lathes.

John Ruth

Did all of the 12" 8 speed gear head lathes come with a clutch/brake set up? Mine doesnt have one and I was wondering if it was missing or didn't come with it.

Did all of the 12" 8 speed gear head lathes come with a clutch/brake set up? Mine doesnt have one and I was wondering if it was missing or didn't come with it.

(Based on available to me scanned pub)

Motorized ones came with clutch. Single pulley (not motorized) did not (would have come with an overhead counter shaft that was clutched)

No clutch in scan in post #15

Thumbnails show clutched version

Attachments

• Hendey Clutch A.jpg
    Hendey Clutch A.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 593
  • Hendey Clutch B.jpg
    Hendey Clutch B.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Hendey clutch C.jpg
    Hendey clutch C.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 157
Well I am all set up to cut the 2 selector gears for the q/c gearbox. This will be a major step forward in getting this old lathe back in action. I have also noticed that the cross slide nut is badly worn and I need to make another one. I have never cut a 2 start thread before and dont really know where to begin. If anyone is interested in making one let me know.

Thanks
Scott

Hendeyman makes parts from the original Hendey drawings - see his post above

Well I am all set up to cut the 2 selector gears for the q/c gearbox. This will be a major step forward in getting this old lathe back in action. I have also noticed that the cross slide nut is badly worn and I need to make another one. I have never cut a 2 start thread before and dont really know where to begin. If anyone is interested in making one let me know.

Thanks
Scott

I have pm'd him a couple of weeks back but have not heard back from him, thats why I put it out there for anyone who might have been interested

Scott

Back