What's new
What's new

Just had way too close of call on the DP

I was thinking of the guy standing on the saddle operating the cross slide with his foot. The part looked fine but the operator part, not sure I'd be too happy doing that :)

There isn't much choice on the big stuff, especially when boring. If you want to see what's going on, you need to climb up in there. Looked to me like he was cutting a bevel with the compound, bumping the cross with his foot to get a little more DOC. BTDT. Newer machines may have remote controls on a pendant, that's nice. Used to run a 7" spindle HBM with one of those. Made things real handy for line boring 12' away from the machine, for instance.

Yep, drill press and band saw are probably some of the most dangerous for experienced guys. Generally cuz people get in a hurry and take shortcuts that they know they shouldn't. I never had a drill press incident but I did get bit by a vertical bandsaw once.

The throat plate was eroded as hell (almost ⅜" wide) from the blade getting pushed over and saw teeth eating it a bit here and there over the years. I never paid that the least attention, along with everyone else in the shop. I needed to knock off ⅜" from the end of a piece of keystock real quick... Bad combo. The blade grabbed and the end of the key got pulled down into the throat erosion and my thumb tip went right along with. The blade split my nail lickety split and left a nice groove in the end of my thumb, luckily only about 1/16" deep. Could have been real bad. I got lucky. You can bet your ass that I shut that thing down and made a new throat plate right that minute.

Your accident is an almost word-for-word account of what happened to me about 15 years ago. Change 1/16” to 3/8” though :(

that dude is an operator- not some random just throw this up there approach.
Just adding a chamfer or an undercut...probably could have trusted the dials and done it from the floor...but likes to see it close-up...could be slippery up there though... :scratchchin:

I worked with a guy who used both hands and one foot - on a Bridgeport that is. Foot used to wind up the table a bit, hands involved with X and Y...hard worker he was. Used to run two manual machines at once some times.

Last edited:
My worst I guess was shaving off the side end of one thumb with a table saw so now I have one pointy thumb.. and just recently stepped over a motor that was on the floor and fell onto a surface grinder's table with the gear rack leaning on the machine teeth side up-facing, sharp edges digging into my upper arm. still has not healed up...
I have had DP mishaps.
Once at my first grinding job running a big surface grinder and rag wiping the chuck, the rag caught the wheel and snapped my 4 fingers under the wheel just putting a slight burn on all 4, good the wheel was that far off the chuck.

Last edited:
What makes me wonder is you were wearing a jacket. A long sleeve shirt would be bad enough, but a jacket? Why?

Perhaps this is a good reason to get proper heat in the shop if it is not already so equipped.

I would never wear any long sleeve garment while working in a machine shop. NEVER! Short sleeve shirt or tee shirt only.
easy to say in Texas...

There isn't much choice on the big stuff, especially when boring. If you want to see what's going on, you need to climb up in there.

Ja, when I was 25 I'da been up there in a flash, too, I guess. It's just that these days I look at them slippery ways and my slippery shoes and the distance to the floor .... have become a coward, at least about work stuff.

For fun, bring on the bungy jumping :D

Ja, when I was 25 I'da been up there in a flash, too, I guess. It's just that these days I look at them slippery ways and my slippery shoes and the distance to the floor .... have become a coward, at least about work stuff.

For fun, bring on the bungy jumping :D

Yeah, I hear ya. My balance sure ain't what it used to be.

easy to say in Texas...

Yeah, and aside from the weather, let's see how long you last running some real roughing cuts on the lathe before those arms are covered right the F up with long sleeves. I'd have had second degree burns literally everywhere on my arms over the years without long sleeves. I used to bundle up when doing heavy roughing on the shorter length parts - gotta sit right there, hand on the feed lever over and over again. Hat pulled low over the safety glasses, shirt buttoned up strangle-tight, and sleeves buttoned tight at the wrist. Occasionally it was so nasty I'd wear thin, tight fitting leather gloves, with the sleeves taped to the gloves. Before I hear more from that side of the peanut gallery, obviously one doesn't go touching any rotating parts when wearing gloves... They came off as soon as the heavy roughing was done.

aside from the weather, let's see how long you last running some real roughing cuts on the lathe before those arms are covered right the F up with long sleeves. I'd have had second degree burns literally everywhere on my arms over the years without long sleeves.

You can tell older lathe guys by the burn scars all over their arms ... just little dark spots at this point. Not attractive, sigh. Good thing I'm past chasing the good stuff.

Hat pulled low over the safety glasses, shirt buttoned up strangle-tight, and sleeves buttoned tight at the wrist.

and then you get a hot one down the ear ...

You can tell older lathe guys by the burn scars all over their arms ... just little dark spots at this point. Not attractive, sigh. Good thing I'm past chasing the good stuff.

and then you get a hot one down the ear ...

Yeah I've still got plenty. Still took more than a few down the shirt collar, shirt tucked in! Or in the ear, up the nose, right in the kisser, etc. And of course all the times I thought, "there's not much to take off, I can manage without." Good times.

And a few nasty laceration scars to boot. One of them, had a helical stringer on the 14' vertical boring mill that I tried to hook with a chip hook and fling out of the aisleway. It decided instead to re-route up the chip hook and around my arm. It was moving pretty fast, got 2 wraps around before I reacted and dropped the chip hook and pulled my arm back. Both places it hit my arm needed several stitches. I think it was 4 and 6 IIRC. Didn't actually bleed much though. Chip was so hot it almost cauterized the slices.

If momentary lapses of judgement killed the first time, every time, we'd all be dead by now.

jack vines, who's been very lucky thus far.
I used most of my nine lives up back in the day. I’ve still got one or two left.
One of the early ones -
I’m walking across the loading bay minding my own business at one place. I see the insurance companies crane inspector. In the UK overhead cranes had to be inspected on an annual basis. Lifting gear - every six months. He’s struggling to put an aluminium ladder up to the crane beam so he can get up and inspect the hoist block. So as I’m passing by he asks me to help him. I grab hold of the ladder with him and we manoeuvre the ladder towards the beam. This is the old style crane with bare copper wires providing the power. Because they were high up and out of the way they were known as “ being guarded by location “. As we touch the beam we also lightly touch one of the bare wires.

All of a sudden there’s a loud bang and a big blue flash. We’re still holding onto the ladder. The guy says “ Shit, I forgot to isolate the crane “. When we got the ladder down there was a groove in the ladder you could put your finger in ! I still don’t know how we weren’t electrocuted.

Regards Tyrone

I used most of my nine lives up back in the day. I’ve still got one or two left.
One of the early ones -
I’m walking across the loading bay minding my own business at one place. I see the insurance companies crane inspector. In the UK overhead cranes had to be inspected on an annual basis. Lifting gear - every six months. He’s struggling to put an aluminium ladder up to the crane beam so he can get up and inspect the hoist block. So as I’m passing by he asks me to help him. I grab hold of the ladder with him and we manoeuvre the ladder towards the beam. This is the old style crane with bare copper wires providing the power. Because they were high up and out of the way they were known as “ being guarded by location “. As we touch the beam we also lightly touch one of the bare wires.

All of a sudden there’s a loud bang and a big blue flash. We’re still holding onto the ladder. The guy says “ Shit, I forgot to isolate the crane “. When we got the ladder down there was a groove in the ladder you could put your finger in ! I still don’t know how we weren’t electrocuted.

Regards Tyrone
Been in a large factory where aluminum ladders are banned, only fiberglass allowed.

"Open Feeders" is the reason.

Local pest control comes rolling in one day with aluminum ladders on top of the van, got rolled right back out. Same has happened with other contractors as well.

Thanks again- I really underestimated the risk here and almost got badly bit.
The damn shop is full of gear to clamp things down properly and I just didn’t do it.
And.. standing there like an idiot with a pile jacket on just ready to get tied up in this gear head DP…

In other news-
What I am doing today is the tear down to free up the vise on the new to shop cold saw.
This is a pneumatic vise upgraded saw which wouldn’t have been my choice but it was on the saw.
I have it ready to go back together.
Anyone know what to put on the big lip seal on a pneumatic vise?

View attachment 387980
Short stroke piston set up, I’d use silicon grease

Back