What's new
What's new

Just in case you've never seen a Chinese Starrett box label before.

This exception to your policy is unfortunate for all of us. Quantity shouldn't be confused with quality, just as 'diamond' is no guarantee of value.

We've all seen Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, it seems more likely that -if this story is even true- it was her Uncle taking advantage of an obviously gullible simpleton with a predisposition to believe the most base stereotypes of other cultures. I can imagine him hoping you would retell the story for all to see what a fool you are. Regardless, it and your previous post has what exactly to do with metrology or manufacturing? How did these slurs help contribute to the discussion?

"The most racist people are [racist slur]." (Golf clap)

Wow, I'm a white guy and the Japanese Governmental chart they issued me ranking the different races doesn't confirm that, but you're the expert here.

Appreciate the concern, I'd be out well over a million bucks for this 'shack.' But Tokyo is a well known slum, we all live in squalor over here, really third world I must admit.

Yes, you've proven that decisively.
Hey dumb head. I should have used Japanese instead of Jap. But with regards to everything else, that's the tip of the ice burg.
Where I live the Asian communities are huge. I've mingled with all of them in my work. A lot more than where you are. But it doesn't matter
because you sound like a jerk. So goodbye. You would make a good apprentice for the Termite.

BTW, your little stupid looking fish reminds of the way the fishing boats over your way deal with sharks. For shark fin soup and such.
I've videos of those sharks getting their fins hacked off and the fish just thrown back into the water to die. Oh, it's against the rules to
have a image that is not related to machining technology. I would advise you to read the rules, or maybe you think you are above all that.

And, a million bucks around here won't even get you close to owning your shack.

Her uncle went to Hong Kong and got surprised at a banquet with a live monkey that got clubbed on the head, the skull cut open for people to eat some brain.

This is total bullshit thst originated with a shock-and-awe madeup movie called Mondo Cane. It's stupid crap, never happened, was just as fake as Two Girls One Cup, only nitwits believe that shit.

And the most racist people are the Japs. They rank themselves the highest among the Asians and they consider the Koreans the lowest on the scale.
In general most Asians are extremely race conscious and tend to be especially contemptuous of blacks. Children of Vietnamese women and black GIs were especially treated badly, even worse than other mixed race children.

Chinese are not exempt either, generally considering themselves superior to all others and I personally know of instances where Chinese children in America blacked out the eyes of black people in group photos.

Wow, tell me all about the place I was born and lived most of my life... I may be a jerk, but at least I don't pollute threads with non-sequitur racial slurring. And the "I have friends that are..." trope is usually better executed than, "I've mingled with all of them in my work."

Wow, an adult man triggered by a Pokémon. That's a first for me.

Fixed! That was close... I'm sure my permanent ban was likely seconds away.

I paid less than a million for the house I still own on Alameda Island, but you are right that it is worth a lot more now. Got to say, this shack is still better though, but maybe it's because there are less people like you around here.
Over there behind all the smiling faces, you are still considered a worthless gaijin. Enjoy that thought along with your 149 posts and the ridiculous
image avatar of a fish clutching onto a toilet bowl brush. :nopity:

Last edited:
Over there behind all the smiling faces, you are still considered a worthless gaijin. Enjoy that thought along with your 149 posts.
Better to be held in smiling contempt by all of Japan than to be a bigoted toad who Dunning-Krugered his strawman lie straight into Godwins Law. Enjoy your 2 likes... what's that a ~0.03% ratio? :LOL:

It's bullshit. Originated from Mondo Cane, as I said.

Sometimes people from Modesto make the rest of us ashamed of the human species.
1. You were wrong about the origin of the Vietnam war.
2. You called me some names when I pointed out the COVID-19 virus came from human modifications.
That was 2 1/2 years ago. Since then I linked here to a article that has a CEO of a Pharma company saying
there is a 90 something percent probability that one ore more parts are patents from his company.
3. Now you are wrong here again.

That's why I keep you on ignore, but once in a while I come out and put you you where you belong. In the penalty box for
misinformed dumb heads. I like educated people, one which you are not.

Is there an emoji for a pissing contest?

If anyone should know, it'd be you :)

rons is demonstrably full of shit tho, the facts of the vietnam war are readily available but he refuses to believe them. The rest of his garbage I forgot (using the phone sucks, looking up is a trial) but he's pretty consistent in being wacko. So not really that much of a pissing contest, more just facts vs lunacy.

More like a good opportunity to link to Tex, who is pretty funny. And concise.

How has this degenerated thread not been locked? :confused:

You guys need to report (with the link at bottom left in the improper post) stuff like this as soon as it starts. There's no active moderator in this section except Milacron, so if it doesn't get reported it doesn't get noticed. Don't think he spends a lot of time in here.

You guys need to report (with the link at bottom left in the improper post) stuff like this as soon as it starts.

It started, like most that go off-track, with the very first post. It was intended from the very beginning to be a stupid, smarmy topic. Who cares if Starret tools are made in Mass or Zimbabwe or South Antarctica ? If they are not as good (they never were especially good to begin with) then an honest post would say "I got this set of mikes and they feel shitty." Not some crap about oooooh, made in China. There's no point to that except to throw stones.

I've bought plenty of shit from the US that was pure garbage, too. So what ? I don't feel the need to come start a thread about it. What do we have here, small-dick syndrome or something ? It was off-track from the first stupid post. Then we get some dipshit from Coalinga telling a guy who lives in Japan, has Japanese neighbors, a Japanese wife, a Japanese house, probably a half-Japanese kid or two, Japanese in-laws and a Japanese job, what Japan is "really" like.

You gotta be kidding me. It's retarded. Started retarded and went exactly where one would expect.

It started, like most that go off-track, with the very first post. It was intended from the very beginning to be a stupid, smarmy topic. Who cares if Starret tools are made in Mass or Zimbabwe or South Antarctica ? If they are not as good (they never were especially good to begin with) then an honest post would say "I got this set of mikes and they feel shitty." Not some crap about oooooh, made in China. There's no point to that except to throw stones.

I've bought plenty of shit from the US that was pure garbage, too. So what ? I don't feel the need to come start a thread about it. What do we have here, small-dick syndrome or something ? It was off-track from the first stupid post. Then we get some dipshit from Coalinga telling a guy who lives in Japan, has Japanese neighbors, a Japanese wife, a Japanese house, probably a half-Japanese kid or two, Japanese in-laws and a Japanese job, what Japan is "really" like.

You gotta be kidding me. It's retarded. Started retarded and went exactly where one would expect.

It started with a lament about a company that used to produce good solid usable tools going downhill I think. There have been many old companies that used to make very good tools in the U.S. or England or what have you that have declined and started producing inferior junk once the production moved overseas. I don't think anyone will argue that, it's pretty much factual, and there's a long list of companies that it has happened to - whether production moved to China, Mexico, Vietnam or wherever. The rest of what you said is pretty much bang on though.

The thing is, the rules made here by the site's owner don't say people can't give their opinions, even if you or I don't agree with them. Even if they're factually incorrect. Folks can be misinformed or even wilfully ignorant - there's no rule against that. You of course are also free to attempt to correct that misinformation or ignorance - no rule against that either. And I do it all the time here myself.

However, what can't be done is throwing intentional insults around. That is against the rules, and we are all expected to refrain from that kind of behavior. It was getting a little crazy here for a while and we all need to get a handle on that. I know it can be tough, but it can be done with a little restraint and practice. I know, because I had to learn to do it too.

Last edited:
It started with a lament about a company that used to produce good solid usable tools going downhill I think.

Actually, it didn't. Go look again. All the first post is, is a photo of a box that says Starret, made in Suzhou. Ooooh oooh ooh, bad bad !

It's purposely inflammatory, there is no indication this item was better, worse, or equal to what was made in Athol, except we are supposed to assume that it's worse just by looking at the box. Check the title and first post.

Then of course we get the expected plethora of pissing and moaning and jingoist crap about how wonderful Starret was when they were Made in the Wonderful USA. Well, here's a clue, guys. They weren't. Traditional Starret was okay, nothing so special, and mittymoto is nothing special either. If you want good, you buy Etalon.

The problem is not that things were offshored, the problem is that the entire economy is now dedicated to grabbing every little centime out of everything. Bottom line for everything in the US is now money. Money money money. When you make money into your god, then everything else gets sacrificed. And that's what has happened.

Has nothing to do with where anything was made. You can make good stuff at the South Pole if you wanted.

Then of course we get the expected plethora of pissing and moaning and jingoist crap about how wonderful Starret was when they were Made in the Wonderful USA. Well, here's a clue, guys. They weren't. Traditional Starret was okay, nothing so special, and mittymoto is nothing special either. If you want good, you buy Etalon.

The problem is not that things were offshored, the problem is that the entire economy is now dedicated to grabbing every little centime out of everything. Bottom line for everything in the US is now money. Money money money. When you make money into your god, then everything else gets sacrificed. And that's what has happened.
Some stuff Starrett made was among the best available (their master bar calipers and height gages, digi-check, croblox, sure there's more that experienced folk can attest to), quite a bit of their vintage stuff was up to a standard of quality that, even if it wasn't the best you could find, would be fit for purpose.

Thing is this is going to be true of almost any company. Each will have the stuff they've been good at, others will have weaknesses. Each will have their own overall standard of quality. Each will have different eras where these attributes are different.

But as you note the latter part of the 20th century and all of the 21st have seen the ruling class unleash unbridled capitalistic tendencies at the expense of all else. Some companies and countries have suffered more from this than others. The change is particularly felt in the United States which had, due to success in WW1, 2, cold war escalation, a prolific manufacturing economy for most of the 20th century, only for a lot of that knowledge, pride, culture to crumble away, taking a lot of well paying jobs with it.

I think a lot of what we see with regards to the flavor of talk around Starrett is tied up in that yearning for the golden age of US manufacturing that many older machinist lived through/learned from. There's an element of revisionist romanticism and pride there to be sure, but it's clear that there's been been a decline driven by a desire to divert as much money to shareholders and C suites as possible. The label of "China" on the product is a reminder of this new reality. While some may intertwine that with prejudice, it's undeniable that the big reason the label says that is because the C suits can produce a more vertical graph line at the shareholder meeting, at the expense of American workers, Chinese workers, customers... everyone but them.

Basically, it stings.

Last edited:
Actually, it didn't. Go look again. All the first post is, is a photo of a box that says Starret, made in Suzhou. Ooooh oooh ooh, bad bad !

It's purposely inflammatory, there is no indication this item was better, worse, or equal to what was made in Athol, except we are supposed to assume that it's worse just by looking at the box. Check the title and first post.

Has nothing to do with where anything was made. You can make good stuff at the South Pole if you wanted.

That is true, the first post didn't really say much of anything. But I was referring to the start of lamentation, not so much the thread itself. I wouldn't call the first post inflammatory at all, I think you are sometimes a little oversensitive to the issue in that respect. If the post says nothing at all except "have a look" you are reading more into it yourself if you feel that it's inflammatory. I don't know if you have a history with the OP or if he has a habit of posting inflammatory content that I am unaware of, perhaps that has something to do with it?

I'm not going to argue about the quality of Starrett tools either. Many are admittedly workmanlike, but of solid enough quality to do the job and do it well; and for a long time. Some of the Swiss brands are like jewels in comparison, to be sure. But the Starrett stuff has absolutely declined lately, and you are completely correct, it's because of the drive to lower cost and price. Here, that is driven by the mass consumer and there isn't a whole lot any individual or small group can do about it. It's sort of like a school of fish. Where they go, they go. Path of least resistance. The companies have no choice but to lower their prices and usually that means quality, or they won't survive. A better option would be to increase efficiency and keep the quality where it was or even improve it, but that is expensive and very few go that route. For many of them they might go bankrupt if they tried. The cheap labor overseas where all these lower quality tools are made is the problem. It will continue to be that way until the cost of labor in these places rises to a closer level to the "first world" countries. Eventually that will happen, but it will take a while.

The problem for those of us who do know the difference between quality tools and clunkers is that we are in the minority, and we don't drive the market. There is very little we can do to influence what kind of tools are made and/or shipped here. I think a lot of the complaining done here about the cheap import tools is due to that fact. Many of us in that small minority are very frustrated that we can't get the quality tools that we used to buy from brands that we used to trust. In this profession, just like any other, there are a multitude of average people working that may not even realize the difference in quality of the tools that they use. Many of them don't appreciate those differences. They are the ones that drive the market, because they're the majority of the workforce. How many people have you worked with that you felt were exceptionally good at what they did vs. how many total people you've actually worked with? Speaking for myself, that is a very small percentage. And that small percentage are the guys like us that are perfectly willing to pay more for the better tools.

And like it or not, the import makers of the tools are going to catch a lot of the blame for the crap quality, whether they deserve it or not. Some of them may be working right to the blueprint that they were given, but many do not. I have worked with many an import piece of tooling of my own and others' ownership that does not meet its quality specs. For instance the cheap milling vises that are supposed to be parallel and square within .0005" or what have you. After using a good solid vise those things are absolute crap. I can literally feel them flexing when I tighten the vises - they feel like a sponge. A quality vise locks up tight and solid, with very little handle movement. I have also reground almost a baker's dozen of those import vises for people to get them square and parallel. They very frequently absolutely do not meet their specs. Contrast that with someone like Hermann Schmidt. They spec their vises as square and parallel within .0002" - and that is MAX. My own checked on the surface plate with a tenths indicator doesn't even flutter the needle. And the finish is very good indeed.

Speaking of that, there's also the finishes on those cheap imports. For example, tooling that is supposed to be ground to a precise diameter or height/width that has a finish that looks like it was gnawed on by a rat. A little bit of time and use and that size is history. And compare several pieces that should be almost identical: the finishes will be all over the map. Or how about edges that aren't deburred and will lay an unwary hand open like a scalpel. That never happened on reputable makers' tools until production moved overseas. I could certainly go on. Some of this is absolutely the fault of the manufacturers not doing proper QC - either because they don't care or because it would be too expensive to reject all the crap - who knows.

So I guess many of us are very worried to see yet another old line manufacturer that we came up through the trades with going down that road. It always seems to lead to inferiority. I guess I'm happy that I have a healthy collection of old high quality tooling, and I'm always on the lookout for more. And yes, I too have always got my eye out for the Swiss tools.

And wow. I did not intend to write that much.

Last edited:

Back