What's new
What's new

Justification for Air Conditioning in Tool & Die Shop

TheGrassyHutch

Plastic
Hello All,

I have recently been promoted to plant manager of a tool and die shop. We make tooling for cold forming currently and working on venturing outside of this. I have been tasked to present ideas to our owners on things to help morale/employee engagement. For years everyone has begged for air conditioning/climate control. I have worked at other tool and die shops that were climate controlled. I have to justify exactly why air conditioning would help (outside of employee comfort). Anyone have data or information they can share on this?

Thanks!

Disable the air conditioner for the owners office and see how fast it gets fixed.
I worked at a tool and die shop in Buffalo NY for a short time.
The shop bathroom had NEVER been cleaned.
There was poop on the toilet, on the walls, on the floor.
Everywhere poop. So everyone had a poop chair. It was
like a plastic chair with a hole in the seat, like for older people
who need to sit higher above the toilet because they can't
get up from such a low seat. Everyone had a poop chair
from Wal Mart. Machinists would bring their poop chair into
the bathroom when they needed to take a number two.
Freaking nasty. Also, this place, no one was allowed to talk.
No talking. Period. Unless you spoke to the owner or his
idiot son, no talking. You were strongly reprimanded if you
talked to anyone. Even, "Hey Bob, can I use your edge finder",
was cracked down upon immediately.
But the owner's daughter who kept books had her own spotless
bathroom.

-Doozer

Hello All,

I have recently been promoted to plant manager of a tool and die shop. We make tooling for cold forming currently and working on venturing outside of this. I have been tasked to present ideas to our owners on things to help morale/employee engagement. For years everyone has begged for air conditioning/climate control. I have worked at other tool and die shops that were climate controlled. I have to justify exactly why air conditioning would help (outside of employee comfort). Anyone have data or information they can share on this?

Thanks!
time to get the fuck out of there.

bathroom.

-Doozer
i'm not one to be a narc, but if i walked in to a place like that, i'd be taking pictures and reporting them for unsafe workplace, thats straight up disgusting and dangerous!

Congratulations. And condolences.

Employee morale is always an issue, particularly when retention and talent acquisition are considered.

Aside from comfort, employee efficiency will improve, being spared shivering and sweating, all of which diminish engagement.

Humidity control will avoid most rusting and all the effort spent on rust control and mitigation.

Depending on the needed levels of precision, temperature control may be required. A tool and die shop could well qualify.

The HVAC manufacturers will have brochures on just these issues, which can help when pulling your case for AC together.

Humidity and precision tools is not a good combination. CNC electrical cabinets have fans and air conditioners for a reason. Worker comfort has an affect on quality and output. Boss don't care and I should?

The plant I retired from and worked most of my life did not have AC, at best working fans. The machine shop was a low bay, flat roof with no insulation. In the summertime on second shift, the inside temperature would be about 10 degrees hotter than the outside temperature. One year the daytime temperature stayed in the upper 90s for a month, which put the shop temp around 105. Not much got done and the bosses stayed away, holed up in the office with AC. Company and union kept talking about a solution but it never happened.

bathroom.
Hey, hey, don't be getting ahead of this poor guy. He already posted the one about air conditioning and the one about garage door openers. His poop-stool thread is coming. He first needs to get justification to move the toilet out from next to the microwave.

Like it or not, businesses exist to make money.

luckily, workplace temperature and worker productivity has been extensively studied. A quick Google search brings up many examples. Here is an image that compiles multiple studies:

Screenshot_20240426_133133_Samsung Notes.jpg

It shows that maximum productivity happens in the range of 70-80°F.

OP, it sounds like your boss is genuinely interested in investing in employee satisfaction if he tasked you with presenting ideas. The best way you can convince him to spend money on climate control is by showing him that it make financial sense to the company.

Last edited:
It could also be expensed in one year or depreciated over multiple years to reduce tax liability.
Your tax person could help with that.

Or better still,
Let your employer know that other businesses with heat/AC, automatic garage doors, clean bathrooms and free break room donuts and unlimited coffee for all employees, are hiring. Maybe even getting better pay?? (Are you feeling lucky?)

Funny story about free donuts at break.............skinflint bosses owned a small shopping centre ..........one shop was a bakery ......skinflint told the bakery he had horses ,and would take donuts .cakes ,etc from the dumpster ...........thats where the free food at break came from...........even when the retards found out where it came from,they still wolfed it down.

Back