What's new
What's new

Justification for Air Conditioning in Tool & Die Shop

Like it or not, businesses exist to make money.

luckily, workplace temperature and worker productivity has been extensively studied. A quick Google search brings up many examples. Here is an image that compiles multiple studies:

View attachment 437526

It shows that maximum productivity happens in the range of 70-80°F.

OP, it sounds like your boss is genuinely interested in investing in employee satisfaction if he tasked you with presenting ideas. The best way you can convince him to spend money on climate control is by showing him that it make financial sense to the company.
Where did this graph come from, and how do we know that it's reliable? That will be skin-flint's question, so best to answer the question before it's asked.

Gotta have A/C else in summer you have to put your chocolate bars in the fridge so they don't melt.
Without temp control, you're left making allowances for expansion to get in size under standard conditions.

For years everyone has begged for air conditioning/climate
This is not enough message from the floor????
Outside of the machines and that all temp control stuff have you ever heard the saying..."Happy wife, happy life"?
Yes A/C is expensive. The same as heat for me in the wintertime. I sort of think a furnace in the shop is important when there is snow.

Last edited:
I have to justify exactly why air conditioning would help (outside of employee comfort)

You're gonna go from rust being a constant concern, to not even having to think about it. Air conditioning makes a huge difference in a machine shop from that perspective!

You will have less thermal drift in your machine tools and workpieces, your machine tool drives and electronics will have a much longer mean-time between failure, and you will evaporate less expensive coolant.

And most importantly, figure at least one hour per shift more productivity per employee! At a shop rate of $90, that's $400 a week bare minimum increase. You and your people will enjoy the summers, rather than learn to hate them because of the miserable heat and humidity at work!

As far as installing air conditioning, you want to get several quotes---as they may vary considerably in cost. We installed a 20-ton package unit here at the 4k sq. ft. Cathouse ourselves on a concrete pad out back a couple years ago. I cut the openings through the wall, and fabricated return and feed ductwork using the dense fiberglass duct board.

The package units are plug and play: attach return and feed ductwork, bring in 3-phase power and a thermostat wire from inside, turn on the power, turn down the thermostat and feel the cool breeze!

We sourced our package AC unit from Surplus City Liquidators in Indiana. They specialize in all kinds of leftover and scratch and dent HVAC units. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer, as we got a brand new $22k unit for $10k.

As every single shop owner or manager on earth has said, "We should have done it sooner!"

ToolCat

Last edited:
Hello All,

I have recently been promoted to plant manager of a tool and die shop. We make tooling for cold forming currently and working on venturing outside of this. I have been tasked to present ideas to our owners on things to help morale/employee engagement. For years everyone has begged for air conditioning/climate control. I have worked at other tool and die shops that were climate controlled. I have to justify exactly why air conditioning would help (outside of employee comfort). Anyone have data or information they can share on this?

Thanks!
Is the bosses office air conditioned
Enough said
Don

Hello All,

I have recently been promoted to plant manager of a tool and die shop. We make tooling for cold forming currently and working on venturing outside of this. I have been tasked to present ideas to our owners on things to help morale/employee engagement. For years everyone has begged for air conditioning/climate control. I have worked at other tool and die shops that were climate controlled. I have to justify exactly why air conditioning would help (outside of employee comfort). Anyone have data or information they can share on this?

Thanks!
Lets see. Happier employee's, not as much a slimeball owner
lower humidity
better tool life
easier to control coolant percentage
easier to hold tighter tolerances
Happier employee's, not as much a slimeball owner

I worked at a tool and die shop in Buffalo NY for a short time.
The shop bathroom had NEVER been cleaned.
There was poop on the toilet, on the walls, on the floor.
Everywhere poop. So everyone had a poop chair. It was
like a plastic chair with a hole in the seat, like for older people
who need to sit higher above the toilet because they can't
get up from such a low seat. Everyone had a poop chair
from Wal Mart. Machinists would bring their poop chair into
the bathroom when they needed to take a number two.
Freaking nasty. Also, this place, no one was allowed to talk.
No talking. Period. Unless you spoke to the owner or his
idiot son, no talking. You were strongly reprimanded if you
talked to anyone. Even, "Hey Bob, can I use your edge finder",
was cracked down upon immediately.
But the owner's daughter who kept books had her own spotless
bathroom.

-Doozer
disgusting. I once worked for a place for 2 days because when I went to heat up my lunch the second day it looked like someone had cooked a cat in the microwave and it exploded. I nearly got sick right there. Ate my food cold and never went back.

This same shop changed the (black) oil in the forklift
and dumped it in the Sunnen hone machine.
Think of the skin cancer risk from black motor oil
and someone thinking it was Sunnen brand oil.
Also, I had to go in the Sunnen tank when the
round drive belt came off the oil pump. I found
all kind of metal parts. A guy told me, when they
eff up a part, they hide it from the owners by stashing
it in the Sunnen oil sump. Sheesh.

-Doozer

This same shop changed the (black) oil in the forklift
and dumped it in the Sunnen hone machine.
Think of the skin cancer risk from black motor oil
and someone thinking it was Sunnen brand oil.
Also, I had to go in the Sunnen tank when the
round drive belt came off the oil pump. I found
all kind of metal parts. A guy told me, when they
eff up a part, they hide it from the owners by stashing
it in the Sunnen oil sump. Sheesh.

-Doozer
I bought out an old tool and die shop where the owner had retired.
He used to save the old motor oil from his car to use in the honer, lathe, mill, saw, etc.
He never told me.
So the first job I'm running, I dab some "cutting oil" on a tap and Y-E-E-E-O-O-W-W WEE did that smoke up the shop and reek.
I called him and asked him what kind of cutting oil that was and he casually told me it was 10W from his Olds.
Ugh.

I watch some of Joe Pi's machining videos on YouTube. He owns a shop in Austin Texas. From watching, I gather that he is one of those skinflint owners. He bitches about how hot it is in HIS shop in the Texas heat. From looking at his shop, he must have several employees that must love the heat.

If you haven't seen him, it's worth the time seeing how he accurately figures out machining points for manual work.

I watch some of Joe Pi's machining videos on YouTube. He owns a shop in Austin Texas. From watching, I gather that he is one of those skinflint owners. He bitches about how hot it is in HIS shop in the Texas heat. From looking at his shop, he must have several employees that must love the heat.

If you haven't seen him, it's worth the time seeing how he accurately figures out machining points for manual work.
He seems very aggressive to me.
Puts my central nervous system on edge.
No matter how good the content is,
I can't watch him.
But to each their own.

-Doozer

I can't watch him.
But to each their own.

-Doozer

Careful, he posts here and always responds when people talk about him.

I can't watch him.
But to each their own.

-Doozer
Not sure about being aggressive, I don't see that, just kind of reminds me of a chilled Marine Corps DI. He articulates the subject quite well.

To A/C a building ,or even a room,it must be reasonably airtight and well insulated if the walls are corrugated steel sheet.............Many places this is going to be a near rebuild

Never worked in a A/C shop ............never worked anywhere the office wasnt air conditioned.
Many years ago I worked in a machine shop where a window mount A/C unit was installed in a partition separating the office from the shop.

Yeah, the owners were the kind of pricks who would send the heat into the workspace to save on electricity.

Back