What's new
What's new

K&T 205 SA parking attachment

Dannno

Plastic
Knowing they are nearly impossible to find for sale, I am curious if anyone has a parking attachment for a 205 SA that they would be willing to provide dimensions from or if anyone else with a 205 SA would want to collaborate on a design/build for a parking attachment. It looks like the compatible unit for this mill is the series 5749.

Of course, if anyone has the subject attachment for sale, I'd rather purchase one than build it!

I don't know if this will help. It's not really what you asked for.
Here is a u-tube video of Abom79 building a parking attachment for a KT. Its episode 2.
I don't know how to navigate u-tube to find episode 1.
I don't know if he provides dimensions or if it will fit your 205 SA
He is a very experienced Machinist.

Here is another link of someone else building one. Don't know if measurements are provided here either.
I watched the first Abom79 series years ago. Can't remember specifics.

Yep, I watched that series. Great work he did there. The design of that looks very similar to the one for the 205 SA, but that geometrically looks much bigger. I'll reach out to Adam and see if he has any input.

some pictures. if you decide you're going to build one I can measure it.
the main casting is probably 40-50lbs, cast iron, open but webbed on the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_4305.jpg
    IMG_4305.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4306.jpg
    IMG_4306.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4307.jpg
    IMG_4307.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 30
some pictures. if you decide you're going to build one I can measure it.
the main casting is probably 40-50lbs, cast iron, open but webbed on the bottom.
Thanks! That looks like the one I found in the K&T manual. If you can send me some measurements of anything critical (distance between centers, height offset on the main arm, etc, I believe I am going to start working on building one. Right now installing and removing the vertical head is a chore, to say the least.

The parking attachment design allows for the head to slide out forward on the overarms.

Not sure if you need that capability depending on what vertical head you have.

The height of the parking attachment is not critical because (unlike older models) the head is hung by threaded rod.

Attachments

• IMG_3952.jpg
    IMG_3952.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 26
Some more pictures.

A few things to note here: the height and angle of the bottom of the parking attachment clears the overarm clamps and spindle control handle, those are obviously important so the attachment can swing 360degrees.

Some of the pictures show the underside of the crane arm and the webbing of the casting.

The swivel arm's center-to-center distance (from pin to threaded rod) is 5".
The crane's center to center distance (pin to swivel post) is 10".

Attachments

• IMG_4313.jpg
    IMG_4313.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4312.jpg
    IMG_4312.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4310.jpg
    IMG_4310.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4309.jpg
    IMG_4309.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 16
Very good information. I can't remember off the top of my head what model my vertical attachment is, but it does allow the overarms to extend, one of the things that makes the mill so versatile. It looks like a 5111 heavy duty high speed head, but that one doesn't show as compatible with the 205SA in the book.

Thanks for sharing, I'm going to start drawing something up this weekend, and hopefully put together a thorough enough design that I can share for anyone else that may need it or want to fabricate one. I'll post the draft designs for feedback as I progress.

A few more measurements, the arm / crane casting at its tallest (at the mounting post) is 7” tall. It tapers to about 4-1/8”.

Been a while since I put any effort into this, but starting to get a plan together on a relatively quiet rainy morning. Thanks for all the input, I'll get a drawing up with some dimensions for feedback soon. I figure this is easy enough with a weldment, then finish bore after welding is complete.attachment crane v1.jpg

Yes, I think a weldment would be fine. Not sure of tolerances without taking it apart, but the fits want to pivot smoothly since there's a decent amount of weight on it and hence leverage.

Yes, I think a weldment would be fine. Not sure of tolerances without taking it apart, but the fits want to pivot smoothly since there's a decent amount of weight on it and hence leverage.
I kind of figured some thrust washers and bushings would be in order. I don't know that there's any really critical tolerances as long as it can move with the weight of the head on it. If it has a nice slip fit on the pins, and a delrin or bronze thrust washer under the swivel I think it will work. I'm sure this will be a bit lighter than the original, but should still handle the weight adequately. It'll be nice not having to use the shop hoist to move this thing on and off the machine.

Attachments

• attachment pivot v1.jpg
    attachment pivot v1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 5
I just installed the factory parking attachment on my 2H mill and it doesn't have any bearings or bushings. Just slip fit pins. The heads aren't that heavy and it easily swings in and out with minimal effort.

I just installed the factory parking attachment on my 2H mill and it doesn't have any bearings or bushings. Just slip fit pins. The heads aren't that heavy and it easily swings in and out with minimal effort.
Thanks, I was debating whether the bushings or washers were necessary. I'm getting ready to order a few pieces I need to get started on this and hopefully get it put together. I've been stalling a bit hoping to just find a parking attachment, but seems they're rarer than hen's teeth.

I had been looking for a couple of years, actually planned to buy a complete machine if I found one that had the head and parking attachment just to get them. Would love to see what you come up with when you get it put together.

I have offered this suggestion before in this forum, that said I installed jig cranes in my home shop above some of the different machine's such as the K&T, as I have different accessories for the mill all very heavy. I have small lifting eyes on everything. It works so darn nice to swap out different heads etc. and the bonus is you can also use it to load heavy material on the the mills table.

Attachments

• IMG_1537.jpg
    IMG_1537.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 25
As usual, the side projects get delayed indefinitely, but I finally found time to make up enough pieces to start tacking up a parking attachment. Pardon the mess, it's on the "heating and beating" side of the shop for some grinding and welding. Plan on mocking it up on the K&T this weekend and double checking the dimensions.

I rough machined the bores on everything undersized, planning to drill and ream after welding is complete. I assume there will be some additional post machining needed on the pivot mating surfaces as well.IMG_20231130_085108022.jpgIMG_20231130_085057412.jpg

It's a far cry from the one that Abom79 built, and I still need to make a proper bolt for it to hang from, but so far I'd call it a success... Some finish welding and a coat of paint will ultimately dress it up a bit. Sure is nice not having to take it to the floor and put it on a shelf, though.

IMG_20231203_103321732.jpg
IMG_20231203_103311422.jpg

Last edited:
Nice.

One thing the k&t version has is the swing arm is slotted allowing the threaded rod to slide forward if your vertical head has the splined shaft extension feature.

IMG_4312.jpeg

Back