What's new
What's new

K&T 205sa questions

Brandenberger

Hot Rolled
Hi,
Does anyone have a 205sa maintenance manual? I have a few questions I haven't been able to answer on this machine. Currently all feeds and speeds, rapids, and spindle gears all work nicely.

- the feed gear changes sometimes clash, changing with the spindle running but no feeds engaged (as per manual). I doubt this is normal, but not clear what sort of adjustment might be needed. Certain gears change roughly sometimes, once engaged are more easily re-engaged from adjacent gears.

- this machine has knee oil that is fed through a filter and into the saddle for lubrication. I cleaned all of this out, but there's a needle valve to control flow rate that theoretically I need to set. I was hoping I could set it to a specific pressure. I do get good flow and the knee has been flushed and is running clean oil. However I put a pressure gauge on the lube line and get very low pressure, so I'm not sure that's a valid adjustment technique. I am getting adequate lubrication to the saddle I think, perhaps excessive... not sure. Anyone have a particular hydraulic hose type they like for this connection? It needs to be very flexible, 1/8" NPT. For now I have a rather stiff one on there.

- does anyone know how the elevating screw lubrication works? It appears to be being lubricated, and there's what looks like weep hole in the center front of casting onto which the elevating screw nut is bolted which is weeping oil (and initially squired out old dirty oil when I ran the knee down to the bottom). On the parts diagram the screw itself is possibly hollow, with some sort of felt seal / filter inside it?

Two operating questions--

- This machine is somewhat different than 2H / 2CH and more like the 2HLs in that there is no gear rack to drive the overarms forward/back. Anyone have a nice solution to this? Pushing the overarms forward into the vertical head in particular takes a fair bit of effort, some leverage would be nice.

- The vertical head sits on the parking attachment arm on a threaded rod with a round bottom nut. The vertical mounting position on the column is quite sensitive to align with the overarms. I have the type of vertical head that also has the splined shaft, allowing the head on the overarms to be extended forward. It is overall pretty finicky to remove and then reinstall the vertical head. Wondering if there's some clever procedure to do it more efficiently. I would lock the nuts in position but it seems like they need to be released to allow the head to move forward on the splined shaft and be released from the parking arm.

66916656198__10904A73-D193-49CF-94AE-95C0F7CDC5BA.jpgIMG_3952.jpg

Thanks,
Phil

I got a few questions from Hugh Head...

1) there is no maintenance manual for this machine, only the install, operating and parts manuals.

2) the feed gear changes are just spur gears and changes with the spindle running may clash someone as the gears mesh, more so on the higher speeds. It shouldn't do any damage as long as none of the feeds are engaged, but if objectionable the spindle can be stopped and changes made, jogging if needed.

3) needle flow adjustment for the saddle isn't a precise measurement particularly because the gear pump will be worn anyway so any specific pressure or turns of the needle valve screw wouldn't be accurate on a used machine. The suggestion is that the best way is to set when the table is off, so one can see the rate at which oil is being delivered to the table ways.

4) elevating screw mechanism-- oil coming out of the weep hole on the front of the elevating nut extension indicates that the nut and screw are getting oiled properly, this weep hole is often painted over.

Back